Sign in to follow this  
Toldya

Warning labels on certain types of news

I don't know about anyone else, but I truly believe that things like FOX news, Youtube, etc... are primarily responsible for Trump. More than any real economic problems, more than unemployment, more than any real, tangible issues-- it's the gd news that is making everyone crazy, poisoning us all with fears and bad ideas. Other countries are at least semi-immune because the American news is associated with America and not their own countries, so they have a sort of national distance from it that protects them from the brain rot.

So my idea is this: we treat certain types of news the same way we treat other addictive, harmful substances like cigarettes, hard drugs, alcohol and sugar-- we put warning labels on it. This type of strategy would of course be the first step towards doing to the news what Canada and other countries have done to cigarettes-- essentially removing them from the public sphere and denying children and others access. Taxing them heavily and forcing people to pay higher prices for these types of channels would eliminate a lot of the poorer, less media-savvy and critical-minded people who eat it up far more readily.

I don't think this should be restricted to merely the right-- but I do think that Fox News is the absolute worst in terms of legitimizing conspiracies and providing a sort of sampler for people who then follow their ideas to deeper and deeper levels of insanity.

I know that such an idea has the potential to be abused for political purposes, but I also think it's important not to sink any lower or risk another Trump.

So... what does everyone here think?

I think America is made of Americans.  Until Americans stop engaging click-bait crap and driving the market to deliver this trash, that is what we will keep seeing.  If you have a citizenry that is substantially composed of ignorant fools who are incapable of curating what they take in and processing it critically, then that is going to color the personalty of the nation.  The cures for our ills involve combating wealth concentration, monopolies and cartels, so we can implement an actual representative government, which can then do things like properly prioritize education, break up monopolies (including in media), etc.  We are really suffering from intense wealth concentration/power concentration at this point.  That concentrated power is focused on heightening partisan bickering and tribalism, not reducing it.

4 hours ago, Toldya said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I truly believe that things like FOX news, Youtube, etc... are primarily responsible for Trump. More than any real economic problems, more than unemployment, more than any real, tangible issues-- it's the gd news that is making everyone crazy, poisoning us all with fears and bad ideas.

In addition to the blatantly right wing media, 6 right-leaning corporations own 90% of US media.  Even on the networks not flagrantly far right and willing to lie, news has moved right of what it was 35 years ago.  For instance, COMCAST runs primarily left-wing commentators on MSNBC, but censorship is in place about any in-depth discusion of income inequality.  Despite very decent ratings, Ed Schultz was fired for concentrating on labor unions, too much.  And Cenk Uygur was let go for voicing opinions too far left.

And then there is talk radio with its army of right-wing talkers, spewing hate everywhere in America, 24/7/365.  A public deliberately dumbed-down by lack of educational opportunities is vulnerable to constant exposure

4 hours ago, Toldya said:

So my idea is this: we treat certain types of news the same way we treat other addictive, harmful substances like cigarettes, hard drugs, alcohol and sugar-- we put warning labels on it.

Ideology is too different from ingested substances for the analogy to stick.  Even if Democrats took over all branches of government, it would be hard to defy the First Amendment so blatantly.  Nor might it be desirable because such a policy could backfire, bigtime, if Conservatives became ascendant. again.

But bringing back the Fairness Doctrine, would be effective  to combat the exaggerations, deceptions and hate of the Right Wing Propaganda Machine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine

-snip-

The fairness doctrine had two basic elements: It required broadcasters to devote some of their airtime to discussing controversial matters of public interest, and to air contrasting views regarding those matters. Stations were given wide latitude as to how to provide contrasting views: It could be done through news segments, public affairs shows, or editorials. The doctrine did not require equal time for opposing views but required that contrasting viewpoints be presented. The demise of this FCC rule has been considered by some to be a contributing factor for the rising level of party polarization in the United States.[2][3]

-snip-

24/7 news has been trying to make major news out of not news since the last iraq war

this sort of news has always reminded me of a wrestling show 15 minutes of wrestling and 45 minutes talking about how the other was going to lose at wrestling

but more to the point : info wars has to sell weight loss gimmicks and survival guides to keep its news going 

splunch is right about click bait needing serious attention

to me Fox is just my least favorite  drama news, and people overall love drama : on our message boards in NHB we have a battle over what side has made the most drama

what I like the most about this room is the lack of links to news to support a idea. Most of the posters here seem to be roughly ahead of it or do not need it to illustrate or confirm what they present