TexasLiberal

2020 predictions: Beto O'Rourke v. Trump

The 2020 primaries are a year away, but it's never too early to take a look ahead. The Democrats have a lot of choices, some better than others. With that said, I'd like to make a series of this, where I give my prediction of how I think a given matchup would go. Keep in mind that unless otherwise noted, the vice president on the ticket is a generic Democrat, and the Republican ticket will always be Trump/Pence, again, unless otherwise noted. 

The candidate: Beto O'Rourke (D-TX) 

Profile: O'Rourke is a three term congressman from El Paso coming off a narrow loss in the 2018 Texas senate race. He has received national acclaim for his campaign, which emphasized his youthful, energetic personality and a message of hope and change that drew comparisons to Democrats such as John F. Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, and Barack Obama. Potential roadblocks could include his relative lack of high level experience and no signature policy as of yet to run on. 

My take: O'Rourke is a liberal with southern appeal, that in my opinion makes him a very good candidate despite his flaws due to his ability to motivate the base and get out the vote. He can compete in states that not all Democrats can, such as Arizona, Texas, Georgia, Florida, and North Carolina. If the Democrats are looking for someone who could reconcile the moderate and progressive wings of the party as well as pull in crossover voters, O'Rourke just might be the way to go. 

My electoral map: http://www.270towin.com/presidential_map_new/maps/JWOey.png

Texas Liberal:  Welcome to the Liberal's Only Room sub-forum of LIBERALFORUM.  Please feel free to participate here and/or the No Holds Barred sub-forum where the pace is much faster ... The other big difference being that, unlike L.O., Conservatives post in N.H.B. without constraint.  In NHB, helmets are recommended for newcomers:).

In L.O. the subject, "2020 Predictions"  has been exhaustively discussed here:

https://www.liberalforum.org/topic/213243-so-who-are-we-going-to-support-in-2020/

It might be edifying to read the last few pages of that thread, as they are the most current.  There is even some discussion of Beto O'Rourke.

Here is one of my posts, from that thread, regarding Beto:

On 11/8/2018 at 11:07 AM, bludog said:

Beto lost in Texas, but, by a narrow margin.  He was up against a well-funded incumbent, in a red state, Ted Cruz.  Beto is a strong campaigner and a true progressive.  He could enter the Democratic primary and take his chances along with many others vying for the nomination.

I would add now, that O'Rourke is a young, attractive, truly progressive Democrat who does not accept corporate pac donations.  I have long argued that we need young, progressive blood, in the Democratic Party, with the energy and stamina to fight the Conservative, Plutocratic agenda.   Beto appears to be one of those who might fill the bill.  That said, he will need to prove himself in the crowded Democratic primary, against luminaries like Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren and Joe Biden.

20 hours ago, bludog said:

Texas Liberal:  Welcome to the Liberal's Only Room sub-forum of LIBERALFORUM.  Please feel free to participate here and/or the No Holds Barred sub-forum where the pace is much faster ... The other big difference being that, unlike L.O., Conservatives post in N.H.B. without constraint.  In NHB, helmets are recommended for newcomers:).

In L.O. the subject, "2020 Predictions"  has been exhaustively discussed here:

https://www.liberalforum.org/topic/213243-so-who-are-we-going-to-support-in-2020/

It might be edifying to read the last few pages of that thread, as they are the most current.  There is even some discussion of Beto O'Rourke.

Here is one of my posts, from that thread, regarding Beto:

I would add now, that O'Rourke is a young, attractive, truly progressive Democrat who does not accept corporate pac donations.  I have long argued that we need young, progressive blood, in the Democratic Party, with the energy and stamina to fight the Conservative, Plutocratic agenda.   Beto appears to be one of those who might fill the bill.  That said, he will need to prove himself in the crowded Democratic primary, against luminaries like Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren and Joe Biden.

Don't know enough about Beto, but surely we do need new blood in politics. What things appeal to all voters is an important consideration regarding much of the nonsensical division we have with ordinary workers these days. Building trust means finding ways to offset the lies with ideals that generate common sense legislation. Get some easy things done first that will help low income workers and grow a larger middle class. Too many poor folks who work and have no health insurance isn't a good thing. Climate change is a real existential threat and dealing with it responsibly while at the same time addressing real inequality is critical here in the US, and around the world. 

And what about foreign policy? What should the United States Stand for? I think this is a big topic and an important one that requires a lot of thought. How can the US build trust and create more diplomacy to help poor countries develop and prosper? When you build trust in foreign policy it means that you take action to assist without exploiting some other nations natural resources, or servicing the need of dictators in order control certain regions.

Peace!