Jump to content
LoreD

Penmanship

Recommended Posts

Antiquated Or Integral? Ohio Students May Soon Have To Learn Cursive

Under a new curriculum, students would be required to master the craft by the end of elementary school.

 

Could cursive be making a comeback? 

Students in Ohio may be required to learn the craft after the state’s senate passed House Bill 58 last Thursday. 

The bill, according to local NBC affiliate WCMH-TV, would allocate resources to schools allowing for the development and implementation of a curriculum to teach cursive handwriting. 

View image on Twitter
 

Senate passes #HB58 to revive the art of cursive handwriting. @OHRGOPCaucus

 
 
 

While some question the relevance of the handwriting style in the age of the computer, students from more than 10 states are still required to learn cursive, with Alabama and Louisiana joining the list in 2016

 

Florida also made it part of the learning requirements for children in the third, fourth and fifth grades, The New York Times reported

 

The curriculum, which will be optional for Ohio schools to implement, would be aimed at children in kindergarten through to the fifth grade.

 
 

According to CBS, students would be required to print letters legibly by the third grade and write in cursive by the end of elementary school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off the top of my head, seems like a old world skill. I would rather have my child have a rough outline of  2nd langue more then a refined writing style, coming out of grade school

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people, even children,  probably do more typing and less writing than ever before.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bludog said:

Most people, even children,  probably do more typing and less writing than ever before.  

Yes, but legible writing is necessary.  I went to my local bank, and the young man filled in the account number.  I couldn't read the numbers, so I had write out the paperwork myself.  

 

It really doesn't take that much time to teach children basic penmanship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LoreD said:

Yes, but legible writing is necessary.  I went to my local bank, and the young man filled in the account number.  I couldn't read the numbers, so I had write out the paperwork myself.  

 

True, dat.

 

2 minutes ago, LoreD said:

It really doesn't take that much time to teach children basic penmanship.

 

Good point.  I had learned to print but not write in cursive, when in third grade, my family moved.   In the new school all the kids had already learned cursive writing.  The new teacher, (Mrs Ross), assigned a wonderful little girl to teach me (whose name I've forgotten).  It took about an hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bludog said:

Good point.  I had learned to print but not write in cursive, when in third grade, my family moved.   In the new school all the kids had already learned cursive writing.  The new teacher, (Mrs Ross), assigned a wonderful little girl to teach me (whose name I've forgotten).  It took about an hour.

Had a speech impediment in grade school, Had enough on my plate , not easy to sound out things for spelling . So I was left not being able to spell well while they taught me how to spell fast. Now i spell wrong faster

 

 do not want to say it needs to be left behind but I do not want to say needs to be mastered by 3rd grade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rrober49 said:

Had a speech impediment in grade school, Had enough on my plate , not easy to sound out things for spelling . So I was left not being able to spell well while they taught me how to spell fast. Now i spell wrong faster

 

 do not want to say it needs to be left behind but I do not want to say needs to be mastered by 3rd grade.

 

From a practical, rather than an esthetic point of view, writing in cursive is much faster than writing in print.   But cursive writing is often harder to read.  So cursive writing must be taught with an emphasis on legibility.  Not sure if anyone knows the ideal age to learn cursive.  And it's uncertain how important cursive is in this age of keyboards and touchscreens.

 

Personally, except for my signature, I find printing entirely in caps serves nicely for nearly all my handwriting.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bludog said:

From a practical, rather than an esthetic point of view, writing in cursive is much faster than writing in print.   But cursive writing is often harder to read.  So cursive writing must be taught with an emphasis on legibility.  Not sure if anyone knows the ideal age to learn cursive.  And it's uncertain how important cursive is in this age of keyboards and touchscreens.

 

maybe a required elective by grade X,  not sure how that plays out on the elementary level though and Jr high might be to late

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LoreD said:

Antiquated Or Integral? Ohio Students May Soon Have To Learn Cursive

Under a new curriculum, students would be required to master the craft by the end of elementary school.

 

Could cursive be making a comeback? 

Students in Ohio may be required to learn the craft after the state’s senate passed House Bill 58 last Thursday. 

The bill, according to local NBC affiliate WCMH-TV, would allocate resources to schools allowing for the development and implementation of a curriculum to teach cursive handwriting. 

View image on Twitter
 

Senate passes #HB58 to revive the art of cursive handwriting. @OHRGOPCaucus

 
 
 

While some question the relevance of the handwriting style in the age of the computer, students from more than 10 states are still required to learn cursive, with Alabama and Louisiana joining the list in 2016

 

Florida also made it part of the learning requirements for children in the third, fourth and fifth grades, The New York Times reported

 

The curriculum, which will be optional for Ohio schools to implement, would be aimed at children in kindergarten through to the fifth grade.

 
 

According to CBS, students would be required to print letters legibly by the third grade and write in cursive by the end of elementary school. 

 

Just not important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zaro said:

 

Just not important. 

 

I think it is important.  It doesn't take much time, and there are occasions where one would need to write legibly.  

 

If there wasn't a recognized problem; we wouldn't need a law to fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 11:11 AM, rrober49 said:

Off the top of my head, seems like a old world skill. I would rather have my child have a rough outline of  2nd langue more then a refined writing style, coming out of grade school

 

A kid can learn both. And probably should.

I grew up with three languages. English, my main school language, French, my second school language, and Yiddish at home and in "after-school" school.

 

The after-school school was 4 days a week, 90 minutes/day for 5 years. After that they sent me to a Sunday morning school for another three years.  That one was a socialist-run school, called "Arbeter Ring" meaning Workman's Circle. The organization still exists, see here!  Among other things like Jewish culture, they pursue social and economic justice and their summer camps (open to everyone) are a part of the reason Jews are still mostly left of center. At the time I went (up to age 13), school and camp fees depended on parental income, so being poor we paid almost nothing. Rich kids' parents got soaked. :)  I don't think that exists nowadays.

 

Every kid in the US should have English, Spanish and maybe even a third language.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I say, that when I write cursive I can actually read what I penned. I work in the science field, can you believe it. Where often I have to take notes in a journal and for some reason I have learned to print, and it is horrid. When I write poetry, I write in cursive and it's easier to read. Actually in cursive I can write in a way that is decipherable and much faster for some strange reason.

There is this brain to hand mechanism when I write in cursive that is vastly different than when I try to write block print. And don't get me started with tables. First, you start off with bullet points, and you do need to organize bullet points to communicate more clearly, forget stylistic prose when you are trying to communicate by email. But that's a completely different animal. 

You see, we are planted behind a computer screen at all times until we are face to face and listening and then writing things down with pen or pencil in hand.

 

loops into loops. I was forced to practice that as a kid. I have nice cursive, but horrible block printing skill. I can't draw. Well actually I can. I'm a gifted artist, especial. 

 

After all -

I studied at the Wharton School of business. 

Image result for pic of trump signature

Peace!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

Can I say, that when I write cursive I can actually read what I penned. I work in the science field, can you believe it. Where often I have to take notes in a journal and for some reason I have learned to print, and it is horrid. When I write poetry, I write in cursive and it's easier to read. Actually in cursive I can write in a way that is decipherable and much faster for some strange reason.

There is this brain to hand mechanism when I write in cursive that is vastly different than when I try to write block print. And don't get me started with tables. First, you start off with bullet points, and you do need to organize bullet points to communicate more clearly, forget stylistic prose when you are trying to communicate by email. But that's a completely different animal. 

You see, we are planted behind a computer screen at all times until we are face to face and listening and then writing things down with pen or pencil in hand.

 

loops into loops. I was forced to practice that as a kid. I have nice cursive, but horrible block printing skill. I can't draw. Well actually I can. I'm a gifted artist, especial. 

 

After all -

I studied at the Wharton School of business. 

Image result for pic of trump signature

Peace!

 

Impossible to read

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×