Sign in to follow this  
Karl Childers

Nancy Pelosi as "Speaker" or New Direction

I say absolutely "not"..

Nancy Pelosi represents the Old Guard "Corporatist" Democrats..

Furthermore what better Ammunition to give the Right Wing than "PELOSI"...

I say HELL NO and I hope enough of the young "newly" elected Stand Down too..

Nancy Pelosi is a step "backwards" 

Welcome to The LO Rm Karl.  Things might move slower than you're used to in NHB, but the exchanges are often more edifying.

18 hours ago, Karl Childers said:

I say absolutely "not".

I second that emotion.  

Nancy Pelosi represents the Old Guard "Corporatist" Democrats.

She is, a centrist Democrat, strong on social issues like racial parity, ethnic rights and LGBT fairness but not so much on the critical issue of our time,  income inequality, despite rhetoric to the contrary.  According to    OpenSecrets.org,    Pelosi is one of the 10 wealthiest members of the House and has a net worth that exceeds $100 million.

Furthermore what better Ammunition to give the Right Wing than "PELOSI"...

Pelosi is vastly unpopular.  And she is a weak communicator.  She is not the ideal Democratic representative to appear on TV.   There are lots of more progressive choices like eg, Seth Moulton, MA, who has been one of her main congeressional critics.  And others.

One of the problems is that, although the anti Pelosi faction wants someone else, they have yet to put forth an alternative candidate.

23 minutes ago, WillFranklin said:

Pelosi is demonized because she is so effective. Let her rule one last time.

I agree, that Pelosi is effective. The ACA would never have passed without her. She has amazing skill and is a thoughtful leader. I know a lot of folks want to change the old guard and for a host of good reason, but I think at this point in time she is the best choice for Speaker. 

Please remember, two years are short. There has to be a lot of movement between now and 2020, and on a whole host of different fronts. I think single payer is necessary and I think a growing number of folks agree. We also need to move in a huge way on climate change. The climate change issue will take I think a rethinking on growth and also possibly a rethinking on quality of life - where quantity is not always better than quality. 

But for now, Pelosi can help the newly elected younger congressional leaders. And then, it's up to them and to us to move forward in a more responsible manner.

Peace!

2 minutes ago, TheOldBarn said:

I agree, that Pelosi is effective. The ACA would never have passed without her. She has amazing skill and is a thoughtful leader. I know a lot of folks want to change the old guard and for a host of good reason, but I think at this point in time she is the best choice for Speaker. 

Please remember, two years are short. There has to be a lot of movement between now and 2020, and on a whole host of different fronts. I think single payer is necessary and I think a growing number of folks agree. We also need to move in a huge way on climate change. The climate change issue will take I think a rethinking on growth and also possibly a rethinking on quality of life - where quantity is not always better than quality. 

But for now, Pelosi can help the newly elected younger congressional leaders. And then, it's up to them and to us to move forward in a more responsible manner.

Peace!

Yes we need to do those things and protect entitlements.

Pelosi's stigma is she represents SF, Republicans don't even bother going against her, in fact Green party and even further left candidates are only on the ballots, I'm not saying its bad in my view its just the cons use this to enrage supporters, maybe someone from a battleground would be better.