Sign in to follow this  
Craig234

We should rename "climate change" to "climate destruction"

That's what it is. We don't refer to damage cause by smoking as "lung change". We don't refer to a mass shooting as a "perforation change". "Climate change" sounds too much like some natural occurrence, which the right lies that it is, when it's simply human industrialization dumping carbon in massive amounts that destroys the climate for human use.

It is the destruction of the balanced, natural climate. It's an almost scientifically antiseptic phrase to call it 'climate change'. People need to understand that corporations are leading the way for humanity to destroy a healthy climate. From now on the phrase, it seems to me, should be "climate destruction", the man-made damage.

Bernie just had a major 'town hall' for the world on the issue yesterday - in a recent interview, he made an interesting point that we should call it a "war" on the destruction of the climate. I like it - it hearkens back to LBJ's abandoned war on poverty. Wars worth fighting.

I feel your anger, but I prefer 'anthropogenic climate change'.    Climate has always changed.  The real problem is that people are causing it and it's happening very quickly.  Natural processes are certainly being disrupted, but not destroyed.   'Global warming' was an OK term because it does factually describe, in general terms, what's happening.   However, it doesn't lay the blame where it belongs...on people. 

In scientific terms, climate isn't destroyed, only changed.   As I see it, the real harm is that climate is changing too quickly...not that it's getting objectively worse.  Plants and animals can't adapt to the changes quickly enough, and so they will die off.   Our crops and coastal areas have similar problems.  For example, if the sea level had always been higher than it is today, we would have built accordingly and would have no complaint.  The problem is that the sea level is changing quickly.   If the climate had always been 2 degrees warmer, we would have developed agriculture and population distributions to match.  Considering the planet overall, I see the problem as primarily change and the swiftness of the change, not the end state.  

We need to reverse, stop, or at the very least slow, the change.  Adaptation and evolution can't keep up.

I would find "climate destruction" to be a misleading and emotional appeal, and therefore less effective.  The simple facts are scary enough for me!

3 hours ago, Renegade said:

I feel your anger, but I prefer 'anthropogenic climate change'.    Climate has always changed.  The real problem is that people are causing it and it's happening very quickly.  Natural processes are certainly being disrupted, but not destroyed.   'Global warming' was an OK term because it does factually describe, in general terms, what's happening.   However, it doesn't lay the blame where it belongs...on people. 

In scientific terms, climate isn't destroyed, only changed.   As I see it, the real harm is that climate is changing too quickly...not that it's getting objectively worse.  Plants and animals can't adapt to the changes quickly enough, and so they will die off.   Our crops and coastal areas have similar problems.  For example, if the sea level had always been higher than it is today, we would have built accordingly and would have no complaint.  The problem is that the sea level is changing quickly.   If the climate had always been 2 degrees warmer, we would have developed agriculture and population distributions to match.  Considering the planet overall, I see the problem as primarily change and the swiftness of the change, not the end state.  

We need to reverse, stop, or at the very least slow, the change.  Adaptation and evolution can't keep up.

I would find "climate destruction" to be a misleading and emotional appeal, and therefore less effective.  The simple facts are scary enough for me!

I have to disagree. I was just reading about large parts of the ocean floor being destroyed by the excess carbon in the atmosphere. It's a destructive change - watch the massive destruction of the glaciers. It's destroying the stability of the atmosphere, causing the destruction from large-scale weather events, more and bigger fires, more and bigger hurricanes, etc.

I think it's not misleading, and the emotion is what's needed - it's the lack of that emotion that's less effective.

It also hearkens back to our last attack on the atmosphere, the ozone layer, which we were destroying - and which we averted disaster on.

The word 'change' is what's misleading, by being so neutral, so non-threatening. Maybe it's a good change! Maybe it's a small and harmless change! We have enough of those reactions as the issue is ignored.

people come to poor conclusions under impending doom . that is when anarchy kicks in. We might sequester carbon in mass at that point or sequester humans in mass at that point

we just watched a guy ban the middle east  by attaching buzz words to terrorism. I myself do not wish to use the same tool.... yet

52 minutes ago, rrober49 said:

people come to poor conclusions under impending doom . that is when anarchy kicks in. We might sequester carbon in mass at that point or sequester humans in mass at that point

we just watched a guy ban the middle east  by attaching buzz words to terrorism. I myself do not wish to use the same tool.... yet

Are you trying to compare the phrase climate destruction with a ban on Muslims by saying they're terrorists?

That'd be idiotic.