Craig234

Forget about trump. Seriously.

Of course I don't mean to do anything less than recognize the disaster of trump, and to oppose him and try to remove him as justice demands.

What I mean is, there is a temptation for trump to represent the agenda for Democrats. And that's a big mistake.

trump is horrible and a disaster and a danger. But he's not the real threat facing the nation. The power of the plutocrats - who own the Republican Party - is.

And that's a threat to the very power of the American people, to democracy, to good government, to economic equality more than plutocracy, to regulation of dangerous interests, etc.

Democrats have to keep making it clear to the American people that those are the issues they care about more than trump, that they're representing the people against Republicans.

When Nixon was forced to resign, Democrats got a sugar high boost, a backlash vote. They got big wins in Congress, and the White House with Jimmy Carter.

And how long did that last? When the issue was 'vote against Nixon's corruption', they did, for one election. Then the terrible national change of course away from the FDR era to the Reagan plutocrat era, with massive tax cuts for the rich, anti-government ideology, corruption, bad government, anti-regulation began ever since.

We need to have the public understanding why Democrats are better for bigger reasons, around plutocracy, not just against trump - or a centrist Republican will look VERY good to elect.

Democrats need to be fighting that centrist Republican now, not just trump.

Democrats need to be fighting the larger Republican agenda, including the 'centrists' and winning on the progressive agenda, not just the 'stop trump' agenda.

Democrats have a history of winning a backlash.

We need to do better and shift the public back to a pro-good-government, pro-progressive opinion, not just grab the low-hanging fruit of 'trump is bad'. That gives Republicans an easy win later.

Here's what I want:

1) eliminate gerrymandering with a simple geometric algorithm that divides each state into equal population areas

2) eliminate the  electoral college in favor of direct vote

3) make university tuition at state universities a function of grades: A+ average pays nothing. D average pays twice full freight

4) prosecute cops who shoot people without real cause

5) make the number of representatives in each state proportional to population

6) repeal the Citizen United decision

7) prevent states from infringing civil liberties

I figure that the rest people can do for themselves at the local level.

Edit to add: I'll support a politician that  wants to do some of the above. I don't require purity.

15 hours ago, laripu said:

Here's what I want:

I like that list.  #3, although not on most wish lists, makes a lot of sense

Shooting for the moon, I'll add :

~  Institute publicly funded elections;  Only very small individual donations allowed (Maybe $50.00 max).  

~  Reduce campaign duration to six weeks.

~  Make election day a public holiday.  Legislate nationwide mail-in ballots for those so-inclined.A

~  Make voting compulsory for the sound of mind, 18 or over.   

~  Paper ballots only (not foolproof but the most reliable method now available). 

~  Make voting legal for ex cons, no longer on parole.

And shooting for the opposite end of the galaxy:

~  18 year term limit for Supreme Court justices

https://fixthecourt.com/fix/term-limits/

~  And at the risk of public pillory:---  Keep the people's house and introduce unicameral government by doing away with the Senate.

On 12/3/2018 at 7:07 PM, laripu said:

Here's what I want:

1) eliminate gerrymandering with a simple geometric algorithm that divides each state into equal population areas

2) eliminate the  electoral college in favor of direct vote

3) make university tuition at state universities a function of grades: A+ average pays nothing. D average pays twice full freight

4) prosecute cops who shoot people without real cause

5) make the number of representatives in each state proportional to population

6) repeal the Citizen United decision

7) prevent states from infringing civil liberties

I figure that the rest people can do for themselves at the local level.

Edit to add: I'll support a politician that  wants to do some of the above. I don't require purity.

#3 should be based on some sort of standardized measure instead of grades.  Grades vary widely and don't really compare teacher to teacher, let alone school to school or district to district.   I believe some programs use a 'top x% of the class' measure, but that creates a needlessly competitive situation.  It would be better to use something like the ACT or SAT. 

2 hours ago, Renegade said:

#3 should be based on some sort of standardized measure instead of grades.  Grades vary widely and don't really compare teacher to teacher, let alone school to school or district to district.   I believe some programs use a 'top x% of the class' measure, but that creates a needlessly competitive situation.  It would be better to use something like the ACT or SAT. 

Yeah, I'm ok with that. Do it by standard deviations in SAT:

If you're within a standard deviation of average, you pay double.

If you're above one standard deviation from average but less than two, standard tuition.

If you're above two standard deviations from average but less than three, 75% of standard tuition.

If you're above three standard deviations from average but less than four, 50% of standard tuition.

If you're four or more standard deviations above average, it's free.

Note that there are a lot more people near the average than near the top, so a system like this should end up making universities more money than same tuition for everyone.

I'd also like a way for students to improve the evaluation each year.