laripu

Limoncello recipes

Here's the one I do, makes 1.75 liters at around 32 to 33% alcohol. I'm making it for the second time now.

Ingredients:

750 ml grain alcohol (e.g. Everclear)

15 lemons

1+ liter of water

3 cups white sugar

Also needed:

microplane zester

1.5 liter jar with lid

cheese cloth

coffee filters

coffee filter basket

pots

clean food-grade funnel (not the kind you get at Pet Boys for oil!)

two bottles, one 750 ml and one 1 liter. (the grain alcohol bottle is good for the 750 ml one)

Make sure the jar is washed, dried, clean.

Zest the 15 lemons, try not to get too much white pith, which is bitter

Put the zest in the jar, pour the grain alcohol over it, seal it up and refrigerate.

Leave that in the fridge for a month. The flavors and color from the zest will infuse the alcohol.

After a month boil some water, pour off a liter of it and stir in the 3 cups of sugar. Make sure it's dissolved.

Clean the two bottles that will hold the limoncello.

Cool the liter of sugar-water. Wait until it has cooled t fridge temperature.

Pour the alcohol/zest mixture through cheesecloth into a pot, ideally a pot with a spout. Squeeze the zest in the cheesecloth  to get out all the liquid you can.

Let one fill of water go through a coffee filter and discard the water. Pour the alcohol through that coffee filter into a second pot.

Repeat the above with another filter.

Mix the alcohol with the sugar water, stir to mix well.

Pour into the two clean bottles through a funnel.

Close the bottles and store in the fridge.

The limoncello can be drunk immediately but smooths out a bit over a month or so.

Alternately, you can use 1.5 liter of flavorless vodka, a larger jar, and 500 ml of water. In that case you zest 17 lemons and use 3.8 cups of sugar.

That make 2 liters at around 30% alcohol. I'll probably try that version next time. Probably that would be smoother because quality vodka is inherently better than cheap grain alcohol.

you know you can improve bad vodka by running it through a britta water type system. Seemed to time consuming to me but for something like this, might be applicable 

3 hours ago, rrober49 said:

you know you can improve bad vodka by running it through a britta water type system. Seemed to time consuming to me but for something like this, might be applicable 

Interesting. I didn't know that.

According to Wikipedia:

"Their primary filtering mechanism consists of activated carbon and ion-exchange resin. The activated carbon is produced from coconut shells. According to Brita, the filters have two effects:

The activated carbon removes substances that may impair taste, such as chlorine and chlorine compounds.

The ion-exchange resin reduces the carbonate hardness (limescale) as well as copper and lead.

The filters do not purify water."

I guess some impurities in the vodka are removed by the filter. Any idea what they are?

the water cleaners have a charcoal filter,  after vodka gets distilled it gets filtered and the more you filter it the more zero taste you get. This is why cheap vodka has taste, guess the impurities are the particals that gets caught up in the distillery part, I would guess. Great vodka will still need more then this

I dont think the steps are worth it , you wont make grey goose out of potato vodka, no many how many times you filter it , but a in mass quantity cocktail it seems to be viable

I think i would buy just the filter and see if i couldnt get it to seat in a milk jug or  something, toss on a small fish pump to circulate the brew back up top to get filtered again , toss in that macgyver touch 😎

4 hours ago, rrober49 said:

the water cleaners have a charcoal filter,  after vodka gets distilled it gets filtered and the more you filter it the more zero taste you get. This is why cheap vodka has taste, guess the impurities are the particals that gets caught up in the distillery part, I would guess. Great vodka will still need more then this

I dont think the steps are worth it , you wont make grey goose out of potato vodka, no many how many times you filter it , but a in mass quantity cocktail it seems to be viable

I think i would buy just the filter and see if i couldnt get it to seat in a milk jug or  something, toss on a small fish pump to circulate the brew back up top to get filtered again , toss in that macgyver touch 😎

That sounds like it would be worth it if you want to filter 100 liters, but for 1 liter, it's not worth it.