TDS

Laripu, Is this true about canadian party schools?

On 11/27/2018 at 6:49 PM, TDS said:

You're asking the wrong guy! I went to university in the late 70s and early 80s and I was completely irresponsible around 76 and very responsible from 79 on. I got the partying out of my system early, before it could kill me.  So I don't know anything about how they party.

On the other hand, I can tell you that Montreal is a great place to party.

Ottawa is a boring place for students but great for families. Those are the two cities I lived in.

I've heard that Vancouver is a lot of fun. Victoria is a retirement town. Winnipeg and Edmonton and Brandon are too cold for human life.

Looking at the list, there are a few things I know:

• Waterloo (27) is an excellent engineering/math/physics/computer school. Highly recommended for anyone in those fields.
  • Concordia (18) was formed by a union of two smaller universities in the late 70s and has been improving in every field since then. Very strong for computational algebra in the computer science department. Really good for people who want to work in a non-university environment after their degree. I did my BSc and MSc there in math. Also really good for engineering.
  • University of Ottawa (24) is formally bilingual: you can find courses in English and French. Super graduate program in computation neuroscience/ neural dynamics.
  • St. Francois Xavier (1) is referred to as StFX, pronounced Saint-Effex.
  • UQAM (25) and Université de Montréal (31) are entirely French.  Probably Université Laval (33) and Université de Sherbrooke (19) too.
  • Université de Montréal (31) has a business school with a great reputation. (Haute Etudes Commerciales, abbreviated HEC)
  • University of Toronto (44) and McGill (6) have good reputations. Both are great for business. McGill has a great faculties of music and medicine.

5 hours ago, laripu said:

You're asking the wrong guy! I went to university in the late 70s and early 80s and I was completely irresponsible around 76 and very responsible from 79 on. I got the partying out of my system early, before it could kill me.  So I don't know anything about how they party.

On the other hand, I can tell you that Montreal is a great place to party.

Ottawa is a boring place for students but great for families. Those are the two cities I lived in.

I've heard that Vancouver is a lot of fun. Victoria is a retirement town. Winnipeg and Edmonton and Brandon are too cold for human life.

Looking at the list, there are a few things I know:

• Waterloo (27) is an excellent engineering/math/physics/computer school. Highly recommended for anyone in those fields.
  • Concordia (18) was formed by a union of two smaller universities in the late 70s and has been improving in every field since then. Very strong for computational algebra in the computer science department. Really good for people who want to work in a non-university environment after their degree. I did my BSc and MSc there in math. Also really good for engineering.
  • University of Ottawa (24) is formally bilingual: you can find courses in English and French. Super graduate program in computation neuroscience/ neural dynamics.
  • St. Francois Xavier (1) is referred to as StFX, pronounced Saint-Effex.
  • UQAM (25) and Université de Montréal (31) are entirely French.  Probably Université Laval (33) and Université de Sherbrooke (19) too.
  • Université de Montréal (31) has a business school with a great reputation. (Haute Etudes Commerciales, abbreviated HEC)
  • University of Toronto (44) and McGill (6) have good reputations. Both are great for business. McGill has a great faculties of music and medicine.

Very helpful.  

Splains everything.

I will report this to DeVos. 

She has open ears. On both sides of her hed.

The water cooler is where logic and high intelligence prevails.

5 hours ago, TDS said:

Very helpful.  

Splains everything.

I will report this to DeVos. 

She has open ears. On both sides of her hed.

Her ears are her best feature. ☺️  Are you planning to send her to Canada? To take courses?

I doubt they want her.

5 hours ago, TDS said:

The water cooler is where logic and high intelligence prevails.

Not used where I work. At my job it's the coffee machines. We get free mediocre coffee.

7 hours ago, laripu said:

Not used where I work. At my job it's the coffee machines. We get free mediocre coffee.

I recommend a Nestles  whammy jammy coffee machine.  They are totally bad ass.

7 hours ago, laripu said:

Her ears are her best feature. ☺️  Are you planning to send her to Canada? To take courses?

I doubt they want her.

Use her ears for Muskie bait.

So why did you want to know about Canadian party schools?

Are you sending a daughter or son to study in Canada and want to know where they shouldn't go?

If you're looking for a school that's strong in academics but in a town that's not totally dead, I might be able to offer some info.

On 11/30/2018 at 5:09 PM, laripu said:

So why did you want to know about Canadian party schools?

Are you sending a daughter or son to study in Canada and want to know where they shouldn't go?

If you're looking for a school that's strong in academics but in a town that's not totally dead, I might be able to offer some info.

Naw, I was just doing some friendly trolling.😃

23 hours ago, laripu said:

Underpants+jeans+shirt+sweater+jacket+_7

Plus I love your avatar.

4 hours ago, TDS said:

Plus I love your avatar.

John and Paul are pretty cool too. ☺️

The cup in that picture is from Tim Horton's, Canada's favorite coffee/donuts chain.

Tim Horton was a hockey player who started the chain, then died in a car crash.

The chain is involved in local communities, supporting kids sports. So people like them. Now owned by Wendy's.

To my great surprise, there's a Tim Horton's in the naval base in Norfolk, VA. I bought a box of donuts there, for a team of engineers I worked with. I told them it was Canadian Heritage Day. (😆 There's no such thing.)
https://goo.gl/maps/p3xgQBMhSDk

20 hours ago, laripu said:

The cup in that picture is from Tim Horton's, Canada's favorite coffee/donuts chain.

The chain is involved in local communities, supporting kids sports. So people like them. Now owned by Wendy's.

To my great surprise, there's a Tim Horton's in the naval base in Norfolk, VA. I bought a box of donuts there, for a team of engineers I worked with. I told them it was Canadian Heritage Day. (😆 There's no such thing.)

Interesting. I lived in Norfolk for 7 years. My most memorable experience there is when I lived 2 blocks from a Rally's" hamburger joint. One evening a dude was shot and killed there and a bullet hit my house.

Another time I watched a norfolk cop take down a dude at the 7-11 who had a loaded gun on his seat. I sat in my car frozen and watched it. 

After he had secured the dude, I told the cop, "good job" and drove away.

Another time I was working on a mansion in Ghent (Norfolk historical area) and five dudes in a black cadillac came roaring down the street in front of me. They caught them with helicopters later trying to escape to Portsmouth.

Man, I could write a book of all the crimes I witnessed there.

20 hours ago, laripu said:

I knew a super hot chick who was the marine colonel's daughter who commanded the marine detachment at the base. My wife and I would give her a ride home every night from work.  One time while I was waiting with her in my truck for my wife to arrive she sang "I'm so hot for him".

I remained faithful, though. "nobody would ever know, when you're old". I would.:rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, TDS said:

I remained faithful, though. "nobody would ever know, when you're old". I would.:rolleyes:

True. Good job. While I may be nobody to you, this is praise anyway. Goodness ought to be praised.

There was a pretty good German restaurant / beer garden in Portsmouth. I took my wife there (on our way, by car, to a vacation in DC in 2007). She's German and critical about German food, but she enjoyed it too.

3 hours ago, laripu said:

True. Good job. While I may be nobody to you, this is praise anyway. Goodness ought to be praised.

There was a pretty good German restaurant / beer garden in Portsmouth. I took my wife there (on our way, by car, to a vacation in DC in 2007). She's German and critical about German food, but she enjoyed it too.

Everybody is somebody.

It's a small world. 

Canada's a great country. ⛸️ I love ice skating.

1 hour ago, TDS said:

Everybody is somebody.

It's a small world. 

Canada's a great country. ⛸️ I love ice skating.

You know I'm a US citizen, right? Pledged allegiance, saluted the flag etc? 

I like Canada, I have nothing against Canada, but I came to the US willingly, in command of all my faculties,  and with my eyes wide open.

I do like hockey, though. And Tampa is in first place in the NHL right now. 😊

☺️

15 hours ago, laripu said:

You know I'm a US citizen, right? Pledged allegiance, saluted the flag etc? 

I like Canada, I have nothing against Canada, but I came to the US willingly, in command of all my faculties,  and with my eyes wide open.

I do like hockey, though. And Tampa is in first place in the NHL right now. 😊

I didn't know that. Welcome! Go Tampa!😃

4 hours ago, TDS said:

☺️

I didn't know that. Welcome! Go Tampa!😃

Thanks for the welcome, albeit 12.5 years belated!  😁

Indeed Go Tampa!

My new hero is Brayden Point.  He scored a natural hat trick in 91 seconds, the 6th fastest hat trick in history.

Scoring a hat trick is hard enough. But a natural hat trick, where the goals are consecutive and no one else's goals come among yours? Nearly impossible!

Fastest Hat Tricks in NHL History
Bill Mosienko Mar 23, 1952 :21
Jean Beliveau Nov 5, 1955 :44
Jack Darragh Jan 16, 1919 1:00
Derek King Oct 15, 1991 1:18
Harry Oliver Jan 11, 1927 1:25
Brayden Point Nov 15, 2018 1:31

615149198-e1502199210358.jpg?w=610&h=343

On 12/6/2018 at 6:27 PM, laripu said:

Thanks for the welcome, albeit 12.5 years belated!  😁

Indeed Go Tampa!

My new hero is Brayden Point.  He scored a natural hat trick in 91 seconds, the 6th fastest hat trick in history.

Scoring a hat trick is hard enough. But a natural hat trick, where the goals are consecutive and no one else's goals come among yours? Nearly impossible!

Fastest Hat Tricks in NHL History
Bill Mosienko Mar 23, 1952 :21
Jean Beliveau Nov 5, 1955 :44
Jack Darragh Jan 16, 1919 1:00
Derek King Oct 15, 1991 1:18
Harry Oliver Jan 11, 1927 1:25
Brayden Point Nov 15, 2018 1:31

615149198-e1502199210358.jpg?w=610&h=343

Amazing and he still has his teeth!

3 hours ago, TDS said:

Amazing and he still has his teeth!

Only his third season.  Many will be knocked out in the next few years.

On 12/8/2018 at 5:26 PM, laripu said:

Only his third season.  Many will be knocked out in the next few years.

Those hockey players must make a fortune off of the tooth fairy.😵

2 hours ago, TDS said:

Those hockey players must make a fortune off of the tooth fairy.

I'm not an expert on fairies. 😆

But my wife's orthopedic doctors are also doctors for the Tampa Bay Lightning. There are hockey pictures in the offices. I'm guessing they and the dentists are making fortunes.

The Lightning are at the top of the league. It's exciting to watch them play this year.