Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Craig234

Worth a watch, lifelong Republican pilot Sully has a patriotic duty to call on America to vote for Democrats

I though Sully was especially on target when he said a good leader should have ideals and goals beyond his own wants and needs.  A president needs to be capable of identifying with the American People and not just a select few.

Captain Sullengberger shows himself to be an outstanding patriot.  That said, I would not endorse him for public office until I found out more about his political ideas.

5 hours ago, bludog said:

I though Sully was especially on target when he said a good leader should have ideals and goals beyond his own wants and needs.  A president needs to be capable of identifying with the American People and not just a select few.

Captain Sullengberger shows himself to be an outstanding patriot.  That said, I would not endorse him for public office until I found out more about his political ideas.

I agree. All these 'less bad Republicans' who often have a number of good qualities, were still lifelong Republicans during decades of wrongdoing and pushing the country toward where we are now, and not to be trusted with actual leadership, as good as it is that they are repulsed by the current Republicans.

For example, many Democrats now can't get enough of people like Steve Schmidt.

They forget that Schmidt fought to defeat Obama, to put the equivalent of trump - Sarah Palin - in the White House.

There's a huge danger to the appeal of the 'reasonable looking Republican', who 'sounds nice and competent', but still pushes plutocracy with a smile.

There's a danger to how ANY Republican looks 'moderate' and more appealing compared to trump. Even the horrible George W. Bush looks better.

Ok I redact my political support for the man however I did say if he was a democrat I'd vote for him but nevertheless. I do see the same pattern regarding this trend and the one thing that sticks is the R. They still are republicans, I do think MSNBC needs to stop interviewing Kasich, it obviously gives him an opportunity to talk in front of Democrat voters about something they are in strong agreement about and that's disgust at this president, if Kasich thinks there's a window in 2020 to primary Trump and win then he's going for it and if he can endear himself to enough moderate D's then he may have a path. 

13 minutes ago, fourputt said:

I do think MSNBC needs to stop interviewing Kasich, it obviously gives him an opportunity to talk in front of Democrat voters about something they are in strong agreement about and that's disgust at this president, if Kasich thinks there's a window in 2020 to primary Trump and win then he's going for it and if he can endear himself to enough moderate D's then he may have a path. 

The thing to understand about MSNBC is that they're owned by Comcast, so they're naturally a corporate agenda, not progressive - but they stumbled into some progressive hosts getting good ratings and it's become what they rely on for income, to their regret IMO.

They appointed a right-wing guy named Andy Card to run things and try to push things to the right. They got rid of a number of black and other hosts, they hired right-wing people from Nicole Wallace (Bush spokesperson) to even Fox people, giving one a scandalously high $69 three year contract where she has done terribly.

They appeared to nearly cancel Lawrence O'Donnell's show until a big protest. So they seem to be trying to find ways to get good ratings from right-wing shows. Back under Bush, they cancelled their #1 host, Phil Donahue, over his having some anti-Iraq war guests... They still keep shows like Republican Joe Scarborough also.

So I suspect their giving people like Kasich a platform for 2020 is a feature, not a bug. It's a quite awkward fit for Comcast to have the purported 'liberal' network, which has actually good hosts like Rachel, Chris Hayes, Joy Reid and others, but under seemingly hostile ownership. You rarely see them cover certain liberal issues/guests.

6 hours ago, Craig234 said:

The thing to understand about MSNBC is that they're owned by Comcast, so they're naturally a corporate agenda, not progressive - but they stumbled into some progressive hosts getting good ratings and it's become what they rely on for income, to their regret IMO.

They appointed a right-wing guy named Andy Card to run things and try to push things to the right. They got rid of a number of black and other hosts, they hired right-wing people from Nicole Wallace (Bush spokesperson) to even Fox people, giving one a scandalously high $69 three year contract where she has done terribly.

They appeared to nearly cancel Lawrence O'Donnell's show until a big protest. So they seem to be trying to find ways to get good ratings from right-wing shows. Back under Bush, they cancelled their #1 host, Phil Donahue, over his having some anti-Iraq war guests... They still keep shows like Republican Joe Scarborough also.

So I suspect their giving people like Kasich a platform for 2020 is a feature, not a bug. It's a quite awkward fit for Comcast to have the purported 'liberal' network, which has actually good hosts like Rachel, Chris Hayes, Joy Reid and others, but under seemingly hostile ownership. You rarely see them cover certain liberal issues/guests.

+1. Absolutely correct.

NBC's recent decision to air Trump's racist caravan ad further illustrates your points.

CNN had refused to broadcast the ad, calling it racist.

NBC, however, not only accepted the ad, but aired it during Sunday Night Football, the No. 1 broadcast program in adults 18-49, averaging 18.9 million viewers.

Before Trump’s racist caravan ad aired during  Sunday Night Football, (and three times on MSNBC), their standards and practices department reviewed it and concluded that it was in keeping with the network’s guidelines.

The guidelines contain a section for “controversial issue advertising,” which states that “ads generally will be accepted if there is a basis for the claims and such claims fall within the bounds of reasonable debate.” The guidelines also allow the network to reject an ad if it deems its content “grossly offensive (e.g., on racial, religious or ethnic grounds).”

Interestingly, NBC ad sales chief Linda Yaccarino has ties to the Trump administration

It shows how low NBC's standards have become. After big protest, they decided not to air this particular racist ad. At least they beat Fox by a few hours.

CNN deserves some credit for their handling of this episode.

Good points. Imagine if Republicans had their way, and beat the networks into submission with things like threats to their licenses, if a trump ally owned CNN.

One more reason we need to support 'good media' and oppose the liars. A society cocooned by media propaganda is a hard bubble to undo.

We're lucky to have a few things, like at least elections to have a chance for change. Look at societies like Hitler's and Franco's where they declare themselves in office for life, where the public doesn't have the same chance.