Sign in to follow this  
TheOldBarn

Why I vote, and why I vote progressive

When I was a boy being raised by a single mom who was a nurse, my mom never discussed politics, yet she always voted.

My dad who left was a marine in WWII. He always voted as well. I never was told for what party by either of my parents, but they both always thought it was their vital duty to vote. 

Now, knowing my mom so well, I know she was a progressive. She struggled to put food on the table and pay the bills for all her eight children. 

This was in the 1960's and let me tell you, I know it wasn't easy for her. 

My dad on the other side was a conservative I later found out. But in his day, the people he voted for would easily be called moderate or even left of center by today's standards. 

Both of them grew up in a time when workers struggled. And I can tell you that one thing we did have was healthcare that didn't cost nearly as much as it does nowadays.

Of course we were considered lower middle class. But the catholic school and later the public schools I attended were safe, and they gave me the tools I needed to become what I am now. 

I'm a worker. I come from a working class family, knowing most folks are the same, I always always decided it was my duty to vote. But vote for what?

LBJ was president when I was a boy, and then I remember Nixon when I was first coming into the age of my own realism. I remember all of it. 

I remember the rising federal deficits, the hyperinflation, the Vietnam war, the oil embargo, the falling down of the US car companies, the better Japanese made, smaller cars.

The Red scare, the USSR, their rapid rise in Angola where the Soviets flew their counterparts from Cuba in - I remember it. I remember it because at the time I was in Junior High School,

and my history teacher used that news to teach the current state of world affairs. BTW, he was the same teacher who was the principal when my oldest sister went to high school in my city. 

People remember things, he would say about history, before there was any direct talk of any party politics. Yes, even that late in the day while I was growing up, civics was the whole point, the entire

intention of studying history - not that all of it was in fact correct. He was my favorite teacher. The reason for not why I vote, but why I vote the way I do.

I grew up in Michigan not far from Detroit. Everything was centered around the auto industry back in those days. I know the Unions were important, yet I also understood how corrupt their leadership 

could be. My dad who left our family for another woman was part of the auto industry. He mingled with Jimmy Hoffa, and when I was in the eighth grade my dad had to come back to Detroit from San Francisco because he was part of a subpoena regarding the corruption in the UAW. I got to see my dad then, for a weekend, after he testified. Don't get me wrong, my dad did nothing wrong, but he was around a lot of corruption. 

That's kind of the way this country goes. Some things could be shown on a spreadsheet regarding basic economics. The data is all there, and it isn't rocket science. Coming from a working class family I know that some folks just are luckier than others, and it doesn't mean that they are better or worked any harder, rather, it just means they just got a few more breaks. 

So now, college cost a lot. There are the grand schools like Harvard, or any of the ivy league schools, you know, that's where all the corporate execs come from. It's funny now, when I think back.

Nixon always lamented, his hatred for the ivy league'rs who ruled all the top spots, and yet, once in power he somehow felt the need control just about everything. 

Why am I writing this now. Is it because I am pissed? Is this a different country than the one I thought would someday figure all this out?

I don't care. I will vote. I will always vote and promote voting. Climate change is real. It is influenced greatly by human beings use of fossil fuels, ill planning regarding finite materials, over packaging just about everything with non-biodegradable plastics, crazily raising of livestock, and cursory understanding human rights and of maximizing finite resources.

WE can't all just say that we want the same thing, if we truly study what has been going on, we need to see that something's really very much wrong. 

P.S.

I would never have even imagined the numbers of homeless folks we now have today in this country. NO real politician on the national scene discusses this, only mostly mayors. Those mayors don't have for the most part the funds, or the model to figure this one out so far, so the numbers have grown. 

This is more than tragic! 

Trump talks about the fear of immigrants from the southern border, but nobody talks about the people on the street who were born here. Many of which are veterans.

Peace!

Why do I vote?

I feel it is my duty as a human being who would expect any outcome in the US and in the world.

Why do I vote the way I do?

I vote for the human welfare, and workers rights, and a sustainable life for all. But more to the point, 

I vote for the promise of true liberty and justice for all.

Why do I pay attention to the news about the world?

What happens locally, to me and the people all around me, I feel has much to do with how my own government operates.

To me, human rights are first and foremost the greatest cause. This to me underscores a huge umbrella of policy measures.

I certainly feel that my country has become imperialistic, and in many ways less than honest upon its central declaration

regarding human rights.

What do I want?

Environmentally sound principals, human rights first and foremost in foreign policy measures, more truth regarding

sustainable economics for all nations - not the globalism that we see today that is corporate based, but the

idea that we should at least be able to show the data, and count on topic experts to help us decide.

Tell me why you vote. what is your hope

Your background, your life story. 

Peace!

8 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

He always voted as well. I never was told for what party by either of my parents, but they both always thought it was their vital duty to vote. 

same with my parents. I miss it . It seems to me like you could judge people more by what they did , then what they said

Like so many others,  only   we visionaries  can imagine a better world .   Getting others to pay for  for what they can not see.... is the hard part,  so we vote for democrats.  It's the only way. 

Actually,

through out my life,

the people who claimed the loudest to be "conservative",

were the most racist, dishonest, backstabbing, cheating, disgusting people that I ever met.

Not sure if I am a Progressive,

or,

if I just despise "conservatives".

10 minutes ago, peter45 said:

Actually,

through out my life,

were the most racist, dishonest, backstabbing, cheating, disgusting people that I ever met.

or,

It could be both. It is here.

15 minutes ago, peter45 said:

Actually,

through out my life,

or,

Peter, not sure how old you are but you are partly correct. There always was a group of folk who were racists, propagandist, trying to seize power for the sake of seizing power for themselves only. In the last 30 years, that group has stolen the Republican party's soul. They are the same people they always were and it was easy for them to look the other way when Trump was elected. After all, most of them voted for the jerk. 

George H. Bush was a good man. When he ran against Reagan and called his economics Voodoo economics, I feel certain he meant it. He only went along with that nonsense later on to secure what became the Republican Base. Later when he raised taxes, he did it because he knew it was the right thing to do. He knew that when he did so it would cost him a second term, but he did it anyhow because he gave a damn about the country. Do you think a Republican would do that today? Do you think Mitch McConnell would change his mind if he knew it was the right thing to do? The answer is - no way.The Republicans vote as a block, and even though they might know it's absolutely wrong, it just doesn't matter. 

The Republicans today are cowards and they are indefensible. They are Jerks who don't give a damn about the people!

Peace!