bludog

Twangy Guitar Thread

28 minutes ago, bludog said:

Chuck Berry was an all around musical genius.  He did it all.  He wrote his own lyrics and composed his own melodies.  And he was a premier performer.  He even negotiated his own contracts.

dont have to sell me on this idea but seriously are not the beach boys out right robbing him here ? 

Lots of twangy guitar groups and individuals out there.  I like the Beach Boys and they definitely had their own twangy sound.  To me, there's little point in trying to compare the two.  A lot depends on what one likes.

1 hour ago, bludog said:

Lots of twangy guitar groups and individuals out there.  I like the Beach Boys and they definitely had their own twangy sound.  To me, there's little point in trying to compare the two.  A lot depends on what one likes.

surfing USA is sweat sixteen, and i just figured that out too ~ cant believe i over looked it my whole life. Seems their guitarist was a die hard chuck berry fan

15 hours ago, rrober49 said:

surfing USA is sweat sixteen, and i just figured that out too ~ cant believe i over looked it my whole life. Seems their guitarist was a die hard chuck berry fan

Absolutely it is.  I played it more than once, never making the connection.  But I would not call it plagiarism.  The world of music is intricately interrelated with borrowed melodies and beats.  Look at Bo Diddley, whose music was a major influence on an entire generation of absolutely top-tier artists including the Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley and the Beatles.

Here's a different kind of twangy guitar. The timeframe isn't 60s, but rather late 80s, written by multi-instrumentalist and song-writer Rickie Lee Jones. I've loved this song since back then.

It's a beautiful poem that uses deserts as a metaphor for emotional disconnection. There's lots of guitar in it but the twangiest comes as the music rises around 3:00, when RLJ starts singing "long coats on the prairie".

Down there by the river is a man
Whose horn is twisted into shapes
Unknown to the wicked and the wise,
And he bears the look of an animal
Who's seen things no animal should ever see.
He has been driven beyond all towns
And all systems, until now though it is
Long past too far he keeps going.
Because it's a desert
Because it's a desert
We come to the river.
We'll walk away from all this now.
We come to the water.
She first saw him, he was standing in the doorway
Illuminated from behind by a light,
Though imaginary posses chased them
To these distant adobes.
Standing on the cliffs today,
I thought I saw you below,
My shadow growing smaller.
It's a desert because
Because it's a desert
They'll be asking me about you forever
I guess.
We come to the river.
We come to the water.
Long coats on the prairie
Lying in the dust.
Who can I turn to ?
Who can I trust ?
Were you walking on the water ?
Playing in the sun ?
But the world is turning faster
Than it did when I was young.
When I was young
When I was young
Oh, when I was young I was a wild, wild one.

Very beautiful and evocative performance and lyrics.   Nice rhythmic twang.  With some surrealism thrown into visuals.

And thanks for providing the lyrics.  I needed them.

Mike Bloomfield was a genius guitar player who died (probably) of a heroin overdose, in 1981. You might know him from the Butterfield Blues Band or from some Bob Dylan records.

This piece was my introduction to his work in the 70s.

here is a run down of Bloomfields telecaster from G.E Smith . Telecaster s Gibson gretsch all are famous guitars for that pop twang sound. Cant belive something that old could sound so sweet 

On 11/14/2018 at 6:32 AM, rrober49 said:

here is a run down of Bloomfields telecaster from G.E Smith . Telecaster s Gibson gretsch all are famous guitars for that pop twang sound. Cant belive something that old could sound so sweet 

These are great classic instruments. I have a 1970 Telecaster. Too bad I can't play worth a damn. I haven't touched it in 30 years.

Thanks for posting that. I really enjoyed it. GE Smith talks about Bloomfield playing with Dylan, but Smith also played with Dylan.

4 hours ago, laripu said:

These are great classic instruments. I have a 1970 Telecaster. Too bad I can't play worth a damn. I haven't touched it in 30 years.

Thanks for posting that. I really enjoyed it. GE Smith talks about Bloomfield playing with Dylan, but Smith also played with Dylan.

No, thank you. It seems to connect with you the same way it does with me. I too Have a old guitar from the late 70's gathering dust in my closet

honestly it looks like he picks up a old junk guitar not worth 50 bucks and 10 minutes later it is a priceless artifact , and I never figured Mr Smith to be such a great musical historian

If you like , I have another video about what seems to be junk guitar that is well over looked, doesn't quite fall in line with Electric Twang  but worth the 8 minutes of vast history    

On 11/14/2018 at 4:32 AM, rrober49 said:

welcome music fan!!

1 hour ago, Five By Five said:

welcome music fan!!

thank you 5x5, we have like minds on more subjects then just music philosophy and ancient history  . I look forward to sharing with you guys

31 minutes ago, rrober49 said:

thank you 5x5, we have like minds on more subjects then just music philosophy and ancient history  . I look forward to sharing with you guys

A very annoying feature of our secure server at least on my iPhone but not on other devices is that YouTube automatically pauses when I open liberal forum because I've open so many YouTube's on it 

Cyber rules are being formed for those who are willing to participate and learn them 

I was a YouTube assasin on no no holds barred for a decade 

Now I have them all in intellectual lock down