bludog

Twangy Guitar Thread

7 hours ago, laripu said:

From his last record. Still rocking at 90.  RIP

Chuck Berry, all-around musical genius.  He mostly wrote his own songs ...   Lyrics, musical arrangements, everything.  I saw him in concert at the Brooklyn Paramount Theater in 1958.  'Sweet Little Sixteen' and others ...  What a performer. 

At that same concert was Jerry Lee Lewis who played a mean piano by jumping up and dancing on the keys !  At that time, I just loved it.

On 10/28/2018 at 9:33 PM, bludog said:

Chuck Berry, all-around musical genius.  He mostly wrote his own songs ...   Lyrics, musical arrangements, everything.  I saw him in concert at the Brooklyn Paramount Theater in 1958.  'Sweet Little Sixteen' and others ...  What a performer. 

At that same concert was Jerry Lee Lewis who played a mean piano by jumping up and dancing on the keys !  At that time, I just loved it.

Chuck Berry's music is far into outer space now. 

https://www.space.com/36136-chuck-berry-music-in-interstellar-space.html

Remember?

3 hours ago, bludog said:

He deserves that honor.  I don't know who was the best Rock & Roll artist of all time;  But  Berry is right up there with the greatest.

nie; young, bruce springsteen, david bowie, Tom Petty, little richard, fats domino, fleetwood mac, pink floyd, elton john, eddie cochran, James brown, jimmy hendrix, Jim Morrison,  John lennon,  and so many, many more.

No special order. They all shine on.

1 hour ago, TDS said:

nie; young, bruce springsteen, david bowie, Tom Petty, little richard, fats domino, fleetwood mac, pink floyd, elton john, eddie cochran, James brown, jimmy hendrix, Jim Morrison,  John lennon,  and so many, many more.

To add a few of my favorites:---   Buddy Holly,  Jerry Lee Lewis,   Bo Diddley,   Elvis Presley,   The Everly Brothers,  The Who,  Tommy James And The Shondells,  The Searchers,  The Kinks, 

And like you so aptly said,  "many, many more".

We have to add The Blasters. Straight forward old style rock 'n' roll. If you like 

Buddy Holly and Jerry Lee Lewis,  you'll love them.

"The Blasters" !  I like them.

Another lesser known, but excellent group from the  period ...   "The Silkie".

Still another, lesser known but excellent British (Welsh) group of the time;  "Badfinger"

9 hours ago, bludog said:

Still another, lesser known but excellent British (Welsh) group of the time;  "Badfinger"

I love them all, WOOOO!

58 minutes ago, TDS said:

Here's a pioneer of twangy guitar.

That was a great number.  Still is.  That's the kind of twang I like ...  Prolongued notes and resonant.  Not the scratchy guitar sound that some call twang.

11 hours ago, SpyCar said:

Here is a semi-obscure favorite

Great Leon Russell country guitar piece.

3 hours ago, bludog said:

Great Leon Russell country guitar piece.

As you are no doubt aware, Leon Russell released this song (and the great album it is on) under the pseudonym "Hank Wilson" and not as Leon Russell. Like there is any mistaking his voice.

Hank Wilson's Back v1 was (and remains) one of my all-time favorites albums. Full of Country songs, it might be a little bit obscure (even in Russell's catalog), but every tune is a winner IMO.

Love it.

Bill

Duane Eddy, perhaps the King of the twangy guitar.

Crimson and Clover - Joan Jett version.   Some serious twangyness here.  Main guitarist is probably Ricky Byrd?

1 hour ago, bludog said:

Crimson and Clover - Joan Jett version.

I always liked her version of the Mary Tyler Moore theme song.

21 hours ago, rrober49 said:

nice stuff but im lost on twang . is it like ?

To me, Stray Cat Strut may be fine, rhythmic guitar, but it's not twangy.  Then again, different people have "different ears".

Although there are many group and individual twangy guitar pieces, the King of the Twangy Guitar is probably Duane Eddy.   He was most active in the late 1950s and early 60s.  I gave three examples of his work, four posts up.  Each one demonstrates "twang" to the highest degree.  Another great example, at the very top of this thread is the Rolling Stones It's All Over Now;  Especially, the very beginning and last quarter of the piece.   I love twangy guitar.

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Eddy

Eddy devised a technique of playing lead on his guitar's bass strings to produce a low, reverberant "twangy" sound. In November 1957, Eddy recorded an instrumental, "Movin' n' Groovin'", co-written by Eddy and Hazlewood. As the Phoenix studio had no echo chamber, Hazlewood bought a 2,000-gallon (7570-litre) water storage tank which he used as an echo chamber to accentuate the "twangy" guitar sound.[

Also from Wiki:

Twang

Twang is an old onomatopoeia originally used to describe the sound of a vibrating bow string after the arrow is released.[1] By extension it applies to the similar vibration produced when the string of a musical instrument is plucked, and similar sounds.

tremelo and/or echo , you are right stray cats is not it . I hear it , that hollow back sound while popping hard on certain notes to make them sound out, and I think crimson and clover is a tremolo effect peddle they use to drive home the sound, peter gunn opens hard on the sound but i like the funky bend he does to alter the tremolo and yeah peter gunn is bad ass. maybe chuck berry does have the strongest attack on his strings, he pops a lot harder then the rest, and it does wonders to reinforce that sound he drives. This might be a better example of the sound?

26 minutes ago, rrober49 said:

remelo and/or echo , you are right stray cats is not it . I hear it , that hollow back sound while popping hard on certain notes to make them sound out, and I think crimson and clover is a tremolo effect peddle they use to drive home the sound, peter gunn opens hard on the sound but i like the funky bend he does to alter the tremolo and yeah peter gunn is bad ass. maybe chuck berry does have the strongest attack on his strings, he pops a lot harder then the rest, and it does wonders to reinforce that sound he drives.

+ 1    ^   ^   ^

And I agree, Chuck Berry plucked some major league, twangy guitar.

28 minutes ago, rrober49 said:

This might be a better example of the sound?

Porch Swing Slidin'.  Good twangy guitar solo.  Sitting there on that porch swing with the heavens pouring down rain.

Chuck Berry was an all around musical genius.  He did it all.  He wrote his own lyrics and composed his own melodies.  And he was a premier performer.  He even negotiated his own contracts.