laripu

Guilty pleasures: crap foods

OK, 'fess up. Some things we just like because we like them, and have liked them since we were children. Even thought they may be total crap.

I was recently in Montreal and ate some of my crap processed guilty pleasure. It''s a snack cake called a "May West".

When I was a child I lived two blocks from the factory. On some Saturday mornings my mother and I would walk there and buy a box of 'seconds', ones that had come out of the machines mis-shaped and could not be sold retail. They were less than half price, so that's how I got to occasionally eat some.

I confess: While I was in Montreal I bought two boxes of these and ate all 12 snack cakes. (In 6.5 weeks, so under two per week. I'm not a total pig.) I brought a box home for my wife, and didn't eat any of those... but they're gone anyway. :)

http://www.vachon.com/en/pastries/may-west/#regulier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_West

999999-60737054042.jpg

Reese's Cups I don't do sweets per say but these bad boys have my taste buds. Odd thng is I don't care for chocolate and I can NOT stand the smell of peanut butter.

reeses_product_cupsfamily_dark_320x203.j

Escape to a tropical paradise of frozen delight, combining flakes of grated coconut and our gourmet bittersweet chocolate. 

Graeter's Coconut Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

19 hours ago, bludog said:

85% is somewhat of an acquired taste.  But once acquired, even the mighty Thor wouldn't be able to stop eating these sumptuous squares.

•  
  • Green & Black's Organic Dark Chocolate, 85% Cacao, 3.5 Ounce (Pack of 10)

The French put a small square of really dark chocolate on the tongue, and then drink hot coffee.  The chocolate melts and the coffee blends.  Really delicious.  It gets rid of the problem of the dark chocolate being really hard.

I like the taste of super dark chocolate.  I just don't like the texture.

This brand, Green& Black's is admittedly quite hard.  But once chewed, the texture is very smooth.  I'ts almost impossible to eat a small portion:).  And I'm no slouch when it comes to will-power.

You may know, cacao contains higher levels of antioxidants than fruits like blueberries or acai.  But to retain the goodness it must be prepared without alkali processing (Dutching).  Green&Black's is made without the use of alkali.   I was buying Lindt's 90% Cacao, but switched to Green&Black's when I became aware of the alkali in Lindt's.

Here's where I get mine:    https://www.amazon.com/Green-Blacks-Organic-Chocolate-Cacao/dp/B00GDIMCPY?th=1

I lay in a stock in the winter but in the warm months, they send it, along with a cold-pac, in an insulated bag.

Our dog, Iggy, goes wild over this crap snack.  I let him have a small piece twice a day, at which times, I have a little myself.

• Pacific Gold Original Beef Jerky, 2-8oz bags
  • 614aSXvjLfL._SX522_.jpg

Green&Black's 85% has a significant amount of Madagascar vanilla extract.  I think that contributes to the extra intense flavor.  

A criticism is that the  grooves in the chocolate are so shallow that trying to break off squares only results in odd shapes, most of the time.  However if the slabs were scored deeper. they would probably come apart too easily in transit. 

• 51chMqPXPML.jpg