welcome as I chew on my raisin bagel

you have to see the above to get it.. listening does not do it justice^^^^^

LOL TDS

On 11/16/2018 at 12:22 AM, Five By Five said:

The metronome experience

Very kewl, great cosmic jazz daddy.

1 hour ago, bludog said:

Very kewl, great cosmic jazz daddy.

I am done being miserable bkudog,, liberal mental disorder is liberating and beneficial

no matter what the sun will come up for a long time

On 11/17/2018 at 3:01 PM, Five By Five said:

I am done being miserable bkudog,, liberal mental disorder is liberating and beneficial

no matter what the sun will come up for a long time

I  miss you already, bro.☹️

On 10/13/2018 at 8:16 PM, bludog said:

BB King is a fabulous showman.

I've seen him live 3 times, the first time when I was 15. That ticket cost $1.75 in 1972. No one would go with me. I was all alone, and entranced.

I saw Muddy Waters a bunch of times too first time at 18, and Buddy Guy (with and without Junior Wells), first time at 19.

Once in the late 70s, at a Dizzy Gillespie concert, he introduced the members of his band ... to each other. (Great gag.)

At an Art Blakey concert in the early 80s, one of the band members was a teenaged Wynton Marsalis. Everyone knew he would be great.

There are three artists I wish I'd heard live but never did: Howlin' Wolf, Thelonious Monk, and Leonard Cohen.

7 hours ago, laripu said:

There are three artists I wish I'd heard live but never did:

Seeing live performances by artists previously only heard, or seen on screen, can be a hugely satisfying experience.   But I've found it's really not necessary for a full appreciation their music.  I've only been to one live Rock & Roll performance, at the Brooklyn Paramount;  And although it was an entertaining experience I'll never forget, most of the artists I saw there are not on my favorites list today.

September 4, 1961
Murray The K -- Labor Day Show Of StarsBrooklyn Paramount
Jackie Wilson, Jerry Lee Lewis, Etta James, Clarence Henry, Brian Hyland, Ral Donner, Cleftones, Linda Scott, Belmonts, Bruce Bruno, Chantels, Frank Gari, Curtis Lee, Vibrations, Regents, Tony Orlando, The Shirelles, Chuck Berry, Brenda Lee

10 hours ago, bludog said:

Seeing live performances by artists previously only heard, or seen on screen, can be a hugely satisfying experience.   But I've found it's really not necessary for a full appreciation their music. 

Yes, not necessary, but informative.

I really like Bob Dylan, but the two concerts of his that I saw were terrible. In both cases, the warmup act was better.

I saw Rickie Lee Jones once, and found it that she was a perfectionist. She kept tweaking the drummer's sound to make him quieter and adjusting everyone else too.

I saw two Elvis Costello shows. The first, in 1981, was hard and fast, no taking to the audience. The second in 1994 was just as good musically, but much friendlier.

2 hours ago, laripu said:

I saw Rickie Lee Jones once, and found it that she was a perfectionist.

Either that, or a control freak.

There are 145 all-time, favorite singles in my iTunes library.   Out of 19 artists who performed at the one Rock & Roll concert I ever attended, 3 have singles on that list:

The Shirelles  -  Will You Love Me Tommorow

Chuck Berry   -  Sweet Little Sixteen,   Rock And Roll Music

Linda Scott    -  Bermuda

I think live is best for that full listening, but getting PA's systems to tune with every venue a band will encounter proves to be a dauntless quest

19 minutes ago, rrober49 said:

I think live is best for that full listening, but getting PA's systems to tune with every venue a band will encounter proves to be a dauntless quest

That's one problem.with live performances.  And then there's the roar of the crowd, never entirely silent.  Plus the acoustics of the performance venue.  And the condition the performers might be in at the time.  When I settle on a single, to put in my collection of favorites, I look for a studio cut.

Not to say that attending a live performance is not worthwhile. They are.   Live performances are an experience of their own.

1 minute ago, bludog said:

That's one problem.with live performances.  And then there's the roar of the crowd, never entirely silent.  Plus the acoustics of the performance venue.  When I settle on a single, to put in my collection of favorites, I look for a studio cut.

yeah i like studio too, but if there is a live version as good or better I would rather see/hear it over hear and if its is Steve ray Vaughn I am listening too, then ill take all his live recordings over his studio, even if just hearing it, for me that is

hing 

I've posted this before, a long time ago,  but anyway...

In honor of Canada's legalization of marijuana, here's an artist that I saw live in small clubs in Montreal (70s) and Ottawa (80s) many many times. He's a lot of fun.

His stage name, Morgan Davis, is a play on the really terrible (but cheap) Jewish sacramental wine called "Mogen David", which means star of David. It's drunk only by Jews (sparingly, and only if they can't afford better) and by poor people (possibly homeless) who can't afford anything.

The song is fun. 

Leonard Cohen croaks out a tragic poem. "It's Spring and it's Summer and it's winter forever."

18 hours ago, laripu said:

I've posted this before, a long time ago,  but anyway...

In honor of Canada's legalization of marijuana, here's an artist that I saw live in small clubs in Montreal (70s) and Ottawa (80s) many many times. He's a lot of fun.

His stage name, Morgan Davis, is a play on the really terrible (but cheap) Jewish sacramental wine called "Mogen David", which means star of David. It's drunk only by Jews (sparingly, and only if they can't afford better) and by poor people (possibly homeless) who can't afford anything.

The song is fun. 

I used to drink my grandma's mogen david when I was a kid.and I loved it.

But then there is a 20% mogan david nicknamed Mad Dog that is on a par with Thunderbird.

8 minutes ago, TDS said:

I used to drink my grandma's mogen david when I was a kid.and I loved it.

But then there is a 20% mogan david nicknamed Mad Dog that is on a par with Thunderbird.

Kids love sweet wine. My parents made terrible too-sweet plum wine and kept it in bottles in the basement. When I was 14 I'd go and steal a few sips, and replace  the missing volume with water. In retrospect, they probably knew and laughed about it.

When she died, Dec 24,1999, there was one bottle left, and we took it to Tampa, and slowly drank small amounts of it for 12 years, remembering her industriousness until it was empty. I still have that bottle, an old Smirnoff vodka bottle. I will fill it with homemade limoncello in a month, and we'll still remember. 

I've never had either Mad Dog or Thunderbird. Actually, I don't like wine that much, I prefer dry mead or beer, and sometimes whiskey.

Manischewitz (w pronounced as a v) is even sweeter than Mogen David and also cheap. There are grape, cherry, and blackberry versions. I've heard of elderberry too. To quote Monty Python, it's not for drinking, it's for laying down and avoiding.

jewwine1.jpg

12 minutes ago, laripu said:

Kids love sweet wine. My parents made terrible too-sweet plum wine and kept it in bottles in the basement. When I was 14 I'd go and steal a few sips, and replace  the missing volume with water. In retrospect, they probably knew and laughed about it.

When she died, Dec 24,1999, there was one bottle left, and we took it to Tampa, and slowly drank small amounts of it for 12 years, remembering her industriousness until it was empty. I still have that bottle, an old Smirnoff vodka bottle. I will fill it with homemade limoncello in a month, and we'll still remember. 

I've never had either Mad Dog or Thunderbird. Actually, I don't like wine that much, I prefer dry mead or beer, and sometimes whiskey.

Manischewitz (w pronounced as a v) is even sweeter than Mogen David and also cheap. There are grape, cherry, and blackberry versions. I've heard of elderberry too. To quote Monty Python, it's not for drinking, it's for laying down and avoiding.

jewwine1.jpg

My grandfather used to make wine with the fruit from his trees and even bananas in it.

That stuff was the greatest laxative ever invented. It led to a royal flush.

Speaking of elderberry wine...

30 minutes ago, TDS said:

My grandfather used to make wine with the fruit from his trees and even bananas in it.

That stuff was the greatest laxative ever invented. It led to a royal flush.

Homemade beer with live yeast does the same thing. I can't say why with certainty, but my guess is that the live yeast continues to break down whatever you have in your gut, making it soft.

I'm planning a small batch of banana mead some time in 2019, because the pineapple mead was a success.

And wine:

1 hour ago, TDS said:

Speaking of elderberry wine

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries."  I must say I am inclined to post a python song here

39 minutes ago, rrober49 said:

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries."  I must say I am inclined to post a python song here

Ha ha. I dare ya!😛

1 hour ago, laripu said:

Homemade beer with live yeast does the same thing. I can't say why with certainty, but my guess is that the live yeast continues to break down whatever you have in your gut, making it soft.

I'm planning a small batch of banana mead some time in 2019, because the pineapple mead was a success.

And wine:

I like her song, "These boobs were made for knocking"