Sign in to follow this  
progressivecitizen

You guys read Lakoff?

I'm reading Moral Politics, and I'm very intrigued to learn about the conservative mindset, and what makes them so crazy. Have any of you read Lakoff's work, and what do you think? What kind of reception has he had in liberal and conservative circles? On another note, how come there are no heavy conservative intellectuals? Where are the Noam Chomsky's and the Michel Foucault's of the right wing? Is it impossible due to the conservative mindset?

in the cognitive linguistic sense I suppose there are many parts most of us utilize without ever recognizing much. George Lakoff was at one time a frequent contributor to NPR, contributing to the mixed metaphors often used in political speech, as well as the colloquial new words that find their way into common dialect.

So I've heard of him but never read any of his many books. I don't call him nor Chomsky anything other than a study on what they like anyone might deduce regarding left from right, 

or truth from falsity. Both simply study the cognitive approach while at the same time keeping up with what we all gracefully apprise from the world at large.

That's funny, ha.

No actually we don't. We simply do not. Sadly.

But sure, there are intellectual minds on the right. Many. Hayek, Friedman, dour sorts such as D'Souza  - and on and on. 

Some are far right, but some are not.

We could talk about the world by the color of ones skin. The approach, say in Yemen where the Saudis have bombed again and again. 

The native American hero fighting today a cause for the environment, for maintaining water that is usable for their people over tar sands delivery from Canada,

and  just about any industry that might provide a few short-term jobs. Or we could talk about something else for other reasons, such as the truth, in a cognitive linguistic logical and historic sense which surely we have not for a long time now - maybe never which is probably way way too long.

The blue jean wearing backbone of American grit that never wears thin. Now of course, they come in stretch jeans which allow for more growth, which

is ever so elastic, they say.

Peace!

17 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

in the cognitive linguistic sense I suppose there are many parts most of us utilize without ever recognizing much. George Lakoff was at one time a frequent contributor to NPR, contributing to the mixed metaphors often used in political speech, as well as the colloquial new words that find their way into common dialect.

So I've heard of him but never read any of his many books. I don't call him nor Chomsky anything other than a study on what they like anyone might deduce regarding left from right, 

or truth from falsity. Both simply study the cognitive approach while at the same time keeping up with what we all gracefully apprise from the world at large.

That's funny, ha.

No actually we don't. We simply do not. Sadly.

But sure, there are intellectual minds on the right. Many. Hayek, Friedman, dour sorts such as D'Souza  - and on and on. 

Some are far right, but some are not.

We could talk about the world by the color of ones skin. The approach, say in Yemen where the Saudis have bombed again and again. 

The native American hero fighting today a cause for the environment, for maintaining water that is usable for their people over tar sands delivery from Canada,

and  just about any industry that might provide a few short-term jobs. Or we could talk about something else for other reasons, such as the truth, in a cognitive linguistic logical and historic sense which surely we have not for a long time now - maybe never which is probably way way too long.

The blue jean wearing backbone of American grit that never wears thin. Now of course, they come in stretch jeans which allow for more growth, which

is ever so elastic, they say.

Peace!

Huh?

12 hours ago, progressivecitizen said:

Can anyone provide some feedback please?

Maybe no one here, including me, has read Moral Politics and so, are reluctant to comment.

I have not read Lakoff but have read descriptions and critiques of his work, so I have some idea what he is about.  I have read some of Noam Chomsky's works.  Chomsky, IMO, is a great thinker on the left.  George Will and Thomas Sowell are examples of what passes as modern Conservative intellectualism.  But they don't represent, in the slightest, the opportunistic, power hungry, win-by-any-means Republican Party as epitomized by their new leader, the narcissistic sociopath, Donald Trump.

True Conservatism, as a philosophy of caution, conservation and traditional values is dormant, if not dead, on the American political scene.  It has been replaced by a Republican Party, consisting of elected mouthpieces for wealthy special interests whose most important characteristic is the ability to lie convincingly.   They sell social wedge issues, like gun rights, abortion, religion, race and ethnicity to their constituents while voting as instructed by their high-paying plutocratic employers, for custom legislation which nearly always concentrates more wealth at the top.  Most elected Republicans are in it for the money.  Many become lobbyists, as a lucrative job, after their political careers are over.

There is no legitimate intellectual defense for what today's Republican Party has become ...  Hence, the Cult of Ignorance, in which tribal loyalty is all and pure partisanship is king.  The only "thinkers" representing this gangster-like movement are people like Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh who twist the truth, lie and appeal to the lowest inclinations of their Conservative fans.  Talking heads, the likes of Hannity and Limbaugh are part of an army of right-wing pundits who put spin on hot button issues, identified by focus groups and disseminated, each day by Republican think tanks