liberaloldlady

Baby Boomers survive the next two years of Trumism

I am 7 maybe 10 years from retirement depending on

1. How long I live

2 If I retire at 67.5 or 70

3. If Trump doesn't start world war three.

When I was younger and we had a bad president ( Nixon, Regan, Bush and Bush) I thought "it's only four years eight at the worst then things will get better. They did when Clinton got in then when Bush I held on and Obama era was good but now I fear I don't have that many years left. 

4 hours ago, liberaloldlady said:

When I was younger and we had a bad president ( Nixon, Regan, Bush and Bush) I thought "it's only four years eight at the worst then things will get better. They did when Clinton got in then when Bush I held on and Obama era was good but now I fear I don't have that many years left.

We have to accept that when we're gone, what will be will be.  Nothing lasts forever.  Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome, all seemed permanent to the average observer of the time ...  But eventually, ruins and a few precious documents were all that were left.  People living in any given time, including us, tend to have little insight into what is to come.

We could be headed for an end of the republic permanent plutocracy ...  Or the rise of Fascism.  Or the dawn of a new, enlightened age of progress and cooperation.  Or, we might go extinct, the same as about 99% of species that ever lived.  Evolution's experiment with technological intelligence may end with atomic armageddon and a resultant nuclear winter similar to the Chicexulub event which wiped out all animals over 50 pounds.  Another, more optimistic possibility is that, with unexpected leaps in spacefaring technology, we may be headed to the stars and human colonization of other water planets.  In that event, humans would undoubtedly form separate species and our chances of long term survival would increase exponentially. 

And so many other possibilities.  How many people predicted the fall of the Soviet Empire.  Or the rise of the world wide internet?  Before the invention of integrated circuits and electronic chips, even TV was once proclaimed to be unlikely.

As far as the political situation goes, we need to strike a balance between doing what we can and rolling with the punches.  Of the presidents you mention the election of Trump is far more disturbing than either Nixon or junior Bush, as bad as they were. 

Chinese curse:  May You Live In Interesting Times

That's a good run-down of some of the possibilities.

Eventually everything ends, and so will the American style of democracy.

What replaces it in historic time, hundreds of years, may be better or worse. For the short term prognostication, I can't do better than to quote Leonard Cohen: "You aren't going to like what comes after America."

In the end, we're all insect poop.

20 hours ago, bludog said:

We have to accept that when we're gone, what will be will be.  Nothing lasts forever.  Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome, all seemed permanent to the average observer of the time ...  But eventually, ruins and a few precious documents were all that were left.  People living in any given time, including us, tend to have little insight into what is to come.

We could be headed for an end of the republic permanent plutocracy ...  Or the rise of Fascism.  Or the dawn of a new, enlightened age of progress and cooperation.  Or, we might go extinct, the same as about 99% of species that ever lived.  Evolution's experiment with technological intelligence may end with atomic armageddon and a resultant nuclear winter similar to the Chicexulub event which wiped out all animals over 50 pounds.  Another, more optimistic possibility is that, with unexpected leaps in spacefaring technology, we may be headed to the stars and human colonization of other water planets.  In that event, humans would undoubtedly form separate species and our chances of long term survival would increase exponentially. 

And so many other possibilities.  How many people predicted the fall of the Soviet Empire.  Or the rise of the world wide internet?  Before the invention of integrated circuits and electronic chips, even TV was once proclaimed to be unlikely.

As far as the political situation goes, we need to strike a balance between doing what we can and rolling with the punches.  Of the presidents you mention the election of Trump is far more disturbing than either Nixon or junior Bush, as bad as they were. 

Chinese curse:  May You Live In Interesting Times

I agree with you but I am only talking maybe the next twenty years should I live that long. I will not live to see men or women living on other planets I doubt that my grandchild will. I do believe this could happen if we can stop fighting each other long enough to make it happen. I don't believe in God but I do believe humans have it in them to survive. Here or out there.

On 9/11/2018 at 5:04 PM, liberaloldlady said:

I agree with you but I am only talking maybe the next twenty years should I live that long. I will not live to see men or women living on other planets I doubt that my grandchild will. I do believe this could happen if we can stop fighting each other long enough to make it happen. I don't believe in God but I do believe humans have it in them to survive. Here or out there.

I am in the same situation, maybe 7 years till I reach 65, or will I need to go longer. I work btw with several colleagues who are older than sixty five already. Several are 67 and older still working, and contributing big time. I also wonder, what will I do without them around. But that sounds selfish on my part. But its true.

We work at McDonald's making the fries, Mcnuggets, and burgers all day --- just kidding.../ But it does kind of feel like that someday's.

Peace! 

I find myself now having feelings of depression not deep but just knowing Hillary should be President along with Bill Clinton as the very first "first gentleman" more clearly than ever before. Now knowing Manafort is probably going to sink the ship and democrats are going to have a big surge this November doesn't really make things any better, Republicans have done these acts before and will continue even more now that the country is changing demographically and now we are going to have 2 appointments to our supreme court that should not be here and nothing can be done to undue them. I'm also at least 7 years from retirement and who knows what may follow but these shenanigans need to stop once and for all people need to have confidence in the government that the right people are elected with fair due process not this ridiculous influence of dark money and propaganda lies from foreign entities.