Jump to content
liberaloldlady

Will any one miss The Big Bang

Recommended Posts

My wife loves that show.  I am offended every time she has it on and I see part of it.  The Big Bang Theory depicts scientists, physicists in particular, as stereotyped clowns.  The men all in their brightly colored costumes (which no normal person has worn since the Hippie era).  And the women;  Glamorous, frustrated and, for the most part, spurned by their socially naive male ingrates, preoccupied by their scientific immersion.

 

For those in the Cult of Ignorance, the show was a confirmation of the the foolishness of all things relating to serious scientific inquiry.  It made the main characters look like erudite imbeciles.

 

But fear not;  The Big Bang Theory is hugely popular in today's blissfully know-nothing America ,and endless reruns will ensue, free of charge to the enemies of quality education. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bludog said:

The Big Bang Theory depicts scientists, physicists in particular, as stereotyped clowns.

 

Funny, that's exactly how I felt about it. And yet I've known really smart people who love it.

 

In the past, when I was in a science/math/engineering university environment, there were only a very few really nerdy people. None of them dressed in superhero-inspired clothing. Most were successful at finding partners, and usually intelligent partners. So the show is nothing like reality.

 

But it does follow one trend in American sitcoms to depict characters as "stereotyped clowns". Consider  ""Three's Company", "Married With Children", and "2 Broke Girls". I dislike all of those. 

 

Compare with better ones: "MASH", "Frasier", "The Carmichael Show", and "Last Man Standing". I like all of those.

 

When the writers lack invention, they rely on quick, stupid stereotype humor.

 

And now a silly joke that I love, nerdily:

 

Two hydrogen atoms are walking down the street. The first shivers and says, "Oooh, I just lost an electron!". The second asks "Are you sure?", and the first replies "Yes, I'm ... positive."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, bludog said:

My wife loves that show.  I am offended every time she has it on and I see part of it.  The Big Bang Theory depicts scientists, physicists in particular, as stereotyped clowns.  The men all in their brightly colored costumes (which no normal person has worn since the Hippie era).  And the women;  Glamorous, frustrated and, for the most part, spurned by their socially naive male ingrates, preoccupied by their scientific immersion.

 

For those in the Cult of Ignorance, the show was a confirmation of the the foolishness of all things relating to serious scientific inquiry.  It made the main characters look like erudite imbeciles.

 

But fear not;  The Big Bang Theory is hugely popular in today's blissfully know-nothing America ,and endless reruns will ensue, free of charge to the enemies of quality education. 

I never looked at them that way I saw a lot of my oldest boy in Sheldon. He was very smart stupid me I didn't know. He had a tough time until the school made me get his tested then we found he had an IQ of 112 he was 8 years old. He was board with his 3rd grade Math, Science and English that is why he kept getting in trouble. His teacher wanted him on Ritalin but my family doctor said no and so we had him tested to shut the school up. Then in 8th grade he got popular my dreams him being a doctor flew out the window. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2018 at 6:06 AM, laripu said:

Two hydrogen atoms are walking down the street. The first shivers and says, "Oooh, I just lost an electron!". The second asks "Are you sure?", and the first replies "Yes, I'm ... positive." 

 

Ha ha ha ha ha.  Good one.

 

On 9/11/2018 at 6:06 AM, laripu said:

But it does follow one trend in American sitcoms to depict characters as "stereotyped clowns". Consider  ""Three's Company", "Married With Children", and "2 Broke Girls". I dislike all of those. 

 

Compare with better ones: "MASH", "Frasier", "The Carmichael Show", and "Last Man Standing". I like all of those.

 

I wish I could comment but about the only serialized fiction I watch on TV is Star Trek, The Next Generation.  Despite all its flaws and physical impossibilities, the show often deals with adult themes and invariably extols characters of intellectual accomplishment, scientific curiosity and high education.  And unlike its predecessor, Star Trek, contests of physical dominance are usually avoided.  Even the supposedly mighty Klingon warrior, Worf, is bested in the few confrontations he encounters.  One of the very best episodes was The Drumhead, depicting a trial with a particularly convincing inquisitor who turns out to be a wolf in sheep's clothing.

 

That said, I have to admit, I enjoyed Star Trek also, despite Capt. Kirk always winning every single fight on each and every episode.  As unrealistic as it is, the spectacle of a physically indomitable, infinitely wise and invariably fair and even-handed leader appeals to me.  One of my favorite episodes was Mirror Universe.   Kirk is phased into an alternative universe where Spock and the crew (and everyone else) are all psychopaths.  Kirk is able (of course) to easily adapt and thrive in the new, hostile environment, before securing his return to the normal universe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2018 at 6:06 AM, laripu said:

Funny, that's exactly how I felt about it. And yet I've known really smart people who love it

 

Yes.  My wife is one of them.  But she couldn't care less about politics and might be more of a Conservative if she did.  She enjoys the bumbling smart alecks in Big Bang and their social stupidity toward the glamorous women who pursue them.  She has no problem with the superhero inspired costumes which just add to the contradiction.  And she just loves the antics of the self-centered, narcissistic Sheldon.

 

My wife graduated from The Bronx High School of Science.  Any student winning admittance is considered among the 'elite'.  But she never went to college.  She still remembers a lot of the science, which makes it much easier for me to talk with her, but she couldn't care less about science itself, or scientists, in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2018 at 1:36 AM, bludog said:

My wife loves that show.  I am offended every time she has it on and I see part of it.  The Big Bang Theory depicts scientists, physicists in particular, as stereotyped clowns.  The men all in their brightly colored costumes (which no normal person has worn since the Hippie era).  And the women;  Glamorous, frustrated and, for the most part, spurned by their socially naive male ingrates, preoccupied by their scientific immersion.

 

For those in the Cult of Ignorance, the show was a confirmation of the the foolishness of all things relating to serious scientific inquiry.  It made the main characters look like erudite imbeciles.

 

But fear not;  The Big Bang Theory is hugely popular in today's blissfully know-nothing America ,and endless reruns will ensue, free of charge to the enemies of quality education. 

Hey can you tell me how to delete my profile? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bludog said:

I wish I could comment but about the only serialized fiction I watch on TV is Star Trek, The Next Generation.

 

That was definitely the best one of the ST series. I liked the trial to determine whether Data was alive or whether he was a machine that could be dismembered for research.

 

That said, you really should watch (if you can find them) the two seasons of the Carmichael show. Jerrod Carmichael is a really smart comedian, and he co-wrote these shows.

 

There's also one Frasier episode worth seeking out, in which Frasier's brother Niles is left alone in Frasier's apartment. There's a single scene of silent physical comedy that's a perfect representation of that. Niles is waiting for a date, becomes obsessed with a wrinkle in his pants, irons them, causes a fire, puts it out with soup that Frasier was cooking, and finally faints at the sight of his own blood, a drop.

 

I think this is the scene:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, liberaloldlady said:

Hey can you tell me how to delete my profile? Thanks

 

Profiles cannot be deleted.  If you want to leave the forum, simply stop posting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2018 at 6:40 PM, liberaloldlady said:

I watch little TV but one show that makes me laugh every time is The Big Bang Theory. I know 12 years it a long run but I am really going to miss that show.

I love that show, too.    I've also binge watched The Office, and once in a blue moon, I'll luck up and see one I somehow missed.    Almost forgot to mention Frazier.   The time that Niles was trying to iron his pants in Frazier's' living room, and I almost died from laughing.  Thanks for the video.    No matter how many times I watch it, I die.   I'm also a fan of Monty Python and Rowan Atkinson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 7:19 PM, Mindy09 said:

I'm also a fan of Monty Python and Rowan Atkinson.

 

How about the Fawlty Towers episode with "don't mention the war"?

 

My wife is German, and I'm Jewish, and we nearly pee ourselves every time we happen to see it.

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Germans

 

I even laughed reading the plot from that link. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laripu, I didn't know about Faulty Towers, and thanks so much for letting me know.  I went over and did a quick read, and it looked hilarious.  I'm going to watch it later.   If there are any more you guys love, let me know, as I want to see them.    Thanks again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2018 at 1:36 AM, bludog said:

My wife loves that show.  I am offended every time she has it on and I see part of it.  The Big Bang Theory depicts scientists, physicists in particular, as stereotyped clowns.  The men all in their brightly colored costumes (which no normal person has worn since the Hippie era).  And the women;  Glamorous, frustrated and, for the most part, spurned by their socially naive male ingrates, preoccupied by their scientific immersion.

 

For those in the Cult of Ignorance, the show was a confirmation of the the foolishness of all things relating to serious scientific inquiry.  It made the main characters look like erudite imbeciles.

 

But fear not;  The Big Bang Theory is hugely popular in today's blissfully know-nothing America ,and endless reruns will ensue, free of charge to the enemies of quality education. 

It is a half hour comedy show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2018 at 1:03 PM, HerkenMcJerkin said:

It is a half hour comedy show.

 

I think everyone knows that.

 

There is a wider context, which is the anti-intellectual atmosphere that the United States has had since forever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, laripu said:

 

I think everyone knows that.

 

There is a wider context, which is the anti-intellectual atmosphere that the United States has had since forever. 

I meant the original OP. 

 

Definitely public schools are the anti-intellectual since forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×