Who is going to buy your stupid 401K when Social Security fails?

Social Security will fail because there won't be enough people working to support it.
But, if those people aren't working, they aren't going to buy your 401K either.
And, not only that, they aren't going to be providing enough goods and services, even if you have cash stashed in your mattress.

For years, it has been drummed into people's heads that Social Security is BAD, because the population will be dropping, but older people will be retiring.
And that eventually, there will be TOO many retired people for the SS collections from the working people to support.

But,
if you have a 401K,
you need to sell it off to get cash,
meaning,
you need to sell it TO SOMEBODY.

But if so many people will be retired, and so few will be working,
then all the retirees will be trying to sell to the few that are working.
And, that nasty "law of supply and demand" says that they won't get as much as they thought they would, when Trump helped pump up the stock prices with government dollars.

So probably, the retirees will begin taking LESS FOR THEIR "INVESTMENTS".
And even worser (like more worse), the people who are working are going to figure out that they can charge LOTS more for their goods and services.
Just a little something for those who are happier than pigs in poop to see their 401K statements.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, peter45 said:

when Trump helped pump up the stock prices with government dollars.

FAKE NEWS!!!

I'm always amazed when I read this, it's not the governments money, period, end of narrative!

Also, for those less informed^^^^, there are over 3 billion shares traded everyday.

And yes, happy as a pig in shyt, $10k bump this last week in our 401k's.

36 minutes ago, peter45 said:

So probably, the retirees will begin taking LESS FOR THEIR "INVESTMENTS".

For those that plan ahead, using the 4% RMD and a historical 7% return, you never draw down the principle.

For the period 1950 to 2009, if you adjust the S&P 500 for inflation and account for dividends, the average annual return comes out to exactly 7.0%. ... Based on these two things – the raw historical data and the analysis of Warren Buffett – I'm willing to use 7% as an estimate of long-term stock market returns.Mar 27, 2016

Your S.S. will be there, it may just not be as much as you think.

1 minute ago, JoeAverage said:

FAKE NEWS!!!

I'm always amazed when I read this, it's not the governments money, period, end of narrative!

Also, for those less informed^^^^, there are over 3 billion shares traded everyday.

And yes, happy as a pig in shyt, $10k bump this last week in our 401k's.

For those that plan ahead, using the 4% RMD and a historical 7% return, you never draw down the principle.

For the period 1950 to 2009, if you adjust the S&P 500 for inflation and account for dividends, the average annual return comes out to exactly 7.0%. ... Based on these two things – the raw historical data and the analysis of Warren Buffett – I'm willing to use 7% as an estimate of long-term stock market returns.Mar 27, 2016

Your S.S. will be there, it may just not be as much as you think.

Good job on completely missing the point.

When/if you retire,

do you actually expect to get anything tangible in return for your computer dollars?

3 minutes ago, peter45 said:

Good job on completely missing the point.

When/if you retire,

do you actually expect to get anything tangible in return for your computer dollars?

Yup, can't help myself, an eternal optimist.

Merrill is going to have a field day with you on S.S. failing.

2 minutes ago, JoeAverage said:

So you disagree that Social Security will fail because of population shifts?

Or, you are convinced that a smaller population can still produce the increase in goods and services that will be required.

Try,

if you can,

to consider value as goods and services.

NOT COMPUTER DOLLARS

6 minutes ago, JoeAverage said:

I never claimed that Social Security will fail.

That is the "conservative" stock broker's claim.

Just now, Five By Five said:

A lot of people will die if they lose their safety net

young people can't get jobs because people can't retire

Remember years ago,

when everybody was supposed to be terminated at age 30?

2 minutes ago, JoeAverage said:

Oh, so you didn't really mean to make this title thread, OK.

The title got your attention.

Never said that I believed it.

The title was to get the "true believers in the conservative lies" to stick their foot in their mouth.

9 minutes ago, peter45 said:

So you disagree that Social Security will fail because of population shifts?

There are many things that can be done to shore up S.S.

I am not opposed to the social safety net of S.S. and Medicare. As of 1/1/2018, the wife and I and our employers have contributed $489,624 to S.S and Medicare. We have done out part and expect it to be there when we retire. Granted it's not guaranteed, that's why we planned beyond those benefits.

7 minutes ago, peter45 said:

The title was to get the "true believers in the conservative lies" to stick their foot in their mouth.

Sorry I didn't bite, have been over seeing elderly in-laws for over a decade and understand the importance of S.S and Medicare.

13 minutes ago, JoeAverage said:

There are many things that can be done to shore up S.S.

I am not opposed to the social safety net of S.S. and Medicare. As of 1/1/2018, the wife and I and our employers have contributed $489,624 to S.S and Medicare. We have done out part and expect it to be there when we retire. Granted it's not guaranteed, that's why we planned beyond those benefits.

The base issue is still manhours.

Will there be a sufficient number of workers to produce the goods and services?

If S.S. fails, it will be a worker issue, not dollars.

6 minutes ago, peter45 said:

The base issue is still manhours.

Will there be a sufficient number of workers to produce the goods and services?

If S.S. fails, it will be a worker issue, not dollars.

Here are 12 million workers right here! Can't say if the numbers are true.

Get the deadbeats off the couch:

6 In 10 Able-Bodied Food Stamp Recipients Do Not Work At All. That Has To Change

Despite near-record low unemployment and a record number of open jobs, the number of able-bodied adults on food stamps remains at a near-record 21 million.

President Trump has quietly fired the starting gun for a race toward another round of welfare reform by signing Executive Order 13828, which directs his agencies to take a deep dive toward reforming and streamlining welfare programs. The key goals: move more able-bodied adults from welfare to work, crack down on welfare fraud, and preserve resources for the truly needy.

35 minutes ago, peter45 said:

You are so clever. SS will at sometime go bust and it will be sooner rather than later. 10,000 boomers a Day are retiring. Just pay up and shut up. Who cares if you do not get anything. The SC has said the US Gov. is not obligated to pay you anything. SS is a ponzi scheme and YOU are going to pay in higher taxes to pay for me. Thanks SAP. Bye bye dems.

14 minutes ago, JoeAverage said:

Here are 12 million workers right here! Can't say if the numbers are true.

Get the deadbeats off the couch:

6 In 10 Able-Bodied Food Stamp Recipients Do Not Work At All. That Has To Change

Despite near-record low unemployment and a record number of open jobs, the number of able-bodied adults on food stamps remains at a near-record 21 million.

President Trump has quietly fired the starting gun for a race toward another round of welfare reform by signing Executive Order 13828, which directs his agencies to take a deep dive toward reforming and streamlining welfare programs. The key goals: move more able-bodied adults from welfare to work, crack down on welfare fraud, and preserve resources for the truly needy.

Avoiding the future issue

Will the FUTURE workers be there, or not?

10 minutes ago, johndnorth said:

You are so clever. SS will at sometime go bust and it will be sooner rather than later. 10,000 boomers a Day are retiring. Just pay up and shut up. Who cares if you do not get anything. The SC has said the US Gov. is not obligated to pay you anything. SS is a ponzi scheme and YOU are going to pay in higher taxes to pay for me. Thanks SAP. Bye bye dems.

So,

will the workers be there in the future,

or not?

14 minutes ago, BeAChooser said:

Just like all Truthers, rather than respond to what someone wrote on this subject on another thread, you RUN from that thread and start another Truther thread.   So typical.

Future workers?

Will they be there, or not?

Will you be eating your computer dollars,

or actual food, grown by actual people?

24 minutes ago, peter45 said:

You are also avoiding the basic issue.

Will there be sufficient manhours of labor to supply the goods and services?

Are the population projections of "conservatism" a lie to promote stock market sales, or not?

YOU cannot answer those questions and neither can I. Speculation takes its course........

Before believing politicians and conservative think tanks on their thoughts about Social Security Insurance do some homework.

DON"T EVER VOTE REPUBLICAN AGAIN!!!!!

1 minute ago, JoeAverage said:

LOL, there better be! I keep a close tab on these numbers, if we (wife and I) wait till 67, $59892/year, wait till 70, $74688/year.

Some years ago, I looked at the government population curves.

I didn't see the population quirk that the "conservatives" claim will cause SS to go broke.

But,

if someone actually believes it will,

they should explain who will be baking the bread.