Broke 100k today after my raise

Some may say this is trolling - I say it is boasting.  Pure and simple.

I went back to school in my mid-thirties.  First degree was history - was going to go law, but I hate lawyers, so I decided against it.

Got a science degree - good school.  Graduated.  Worked, went to school - busted my arse for 3 years.  I ate ramen at 36 years old.  I made this happen.  Here's what else I made.  I made myself a deal to make 100k after 5 years.  Today I got a raise up to 104k.  Beat my goal by 4k. 

So I have a little message to you snowflake, liberal (bad word) goofballs that think the world owes them something.

You take what I made - you're going to get a whole lot more than you bargained for. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Hex2 said:

100, Is that your golf score?

Your still not shooting bogey.

It's good money where I live.  I don't live in California, where taxes make a decent living into poverty.  Also, I live responsibly and have no debt.  I predict retirement in 15 years. 

1 minute ago, Crom33 said:

I live in a state where that's a crud load of money.  100k aint nothin in many places, but it makes me rich here.  Economies of scale.

Sounds like ur from the South.

Ur numbers probably includes two decimal places.

Talking shiit, most of the cons here will be in love/lust with you in just a bit.

1 minute ago, Hex2 said:

Talking shiit, most of the cons here will be in love/lust with you in just a bit.

Oh man, this is gonna be fun.

I live on a river in the south.  I have a big house, a big yard.  I have an 8 minute commute.  I'm highly educated, highly skilled, and my state has relatively low taxes compared to your horrific state.  Plus we all live far better than you.  Those of us who are educated enough to win.

Here's the fun part:  We're moving into California now - and we can offer our services at a FAR lower price than any of your local companies.  So I get to live large and you get to be poor and in horrific conditions while I profit off of your misery with glee.  We're already in 33 states - you're next.  Because you're dumb.  Pain hurts.  Remember that. 

8 minutes ago, Hex2 said:

By the way, your understanding of economies of scale is ABYSMAL.  We're coming for you.  Just wait for it.  It's coming.  Faster than you think.

Congrats! You are in the game. Play it the same way the big shots do. Get on the IRS long form and you will be amazed at the LEGAL deductions. Make it a goal in your financial life to pay the absolute lowest amount of Fed. tax. Invest wisely and always think of tax ramifications. Dems want all they can get out of you while paying little to no taxes themselves. Fed tax law is the same for everyone. Good luck and stay in the game. Trump 2020.

1 hour ago, Crom33 said:

I went back to school in my mid-thirties.  First degree was history - was going to go law, but I hate lawyers, so I decided against it.

Got a science degree - good school.  Graduated.  Worked, went to school - busted my arse for 3 years.  I ate ramen at 36 years old.  I made this happen.  Here's what else I made.  I made myself a deal to make 100k after 5 years.  Today I got a raise up to 104k.  Beat my goal by 4k. 

So I have a little message to you snowflake, liberal (bad word) goofballs that think the world owes them something.

You take what I made - you're going to get a whole lot more than you bargained for. 

Welcome to the Club I first did it in 1986 I think. You hit the Mile High Club yet?

2 minutes ago, johndnorth said:

Congrats! You are in the game. Play it the same way the big shots do. Get on the IRS long form and you will be amazed at the LEGAL deductions. Make it a goal in your financial life to pay the absolute lowest amount of Fed. tax. Invest wisely and always think of tax ramifications. Dems want all they can get out of you while paying little to no taxes themselves. Fed tax law is the same for everyone. Good luck and stay in the game. Trump 2020.

“Give them nothing, but take from them everything.”

1 minute ago, HerkenMcJerkin said:

Welcome to the Club I first did it in 1986 I think. You hit the Mile High Club yet?

No lol, but I gotta do that soon before its too dang late.  I do fly first class - which was weird as heck at first.  But very welcome.

1 hour ago, Crom33 said:

Well done....it's not that hard if you're willing to make some sacrifices, work hard, and stay the course through the multitude of challenges.

Have a good accountant, they're worth their cost many times over.

5 minutes ago, LaughinAtLefty said:

Well done....it's not that hard if you're willing to make some sacrifices, work hard, and stay the course through the multitude of challenges.

Have a good accountant, they're worth their cost many times over.

I will do that.  I'm moving around 401k investments to more profitable things and building my portfolios - and I'm definitely working on hiring one of the 40 accountants that work a floor above me.  My grandmother taught me that at least.  Learn from your elders, people.  It pays off.  I'm aiming for an early retirement to Bariloche, Argentina by 62. 

8 minutes ago, Crom33 said:

No lol, but I gotta do that soon before its too dang late.  I do fly first class - which was weird as heck at first.  But very welcome.

Save your money and spend wisely for less fortunate days. Buy the finest things, but buy them used. Splurge a little on yourself, maybe 10% and be happy. Save half.

Remember that the high income earners are the first to go when the crap hits the fan. Save it all now, and point the bird at them later

Sincerely, The old man on the financial hill.

20 minutes ago, johndnorth said:

Not one point i can ounter. Darn you!!

1 minute ago, HerkenMcJerkin said:

Save your money and spend wisely for less fortunate days. Buy the finest things, but buy them used. Splurge a little on yourself, maybe 10% and be happy. Save half.

Remember that the high income earners are the first to go when the crap hits the fan. Save it all now, and point the bird at them later

Roger that.  Everyone says "I'm integral to my company." 

2 minutes ago, HerkenMcJerkin said:

I WONT be poor again.  You give great advice.  I'm done with being poor.

34 minutes ago, Hex2 said:

Why don't you be happy for him? Being happy for other peoples successes makes you a better person and more successful. This is not a flame, just reality on how we rely on each other.

13 minutes ago, HerkenMcJerkin said:

Why don't you be happy for him? Being happy for other peoples successes makes you a better person and more successful. This is not a flame, just reality on how we rely on each other.

I did this on my own.  I worked hard.  Really hard.  And my company is growing at staggering paces.  We're expanding like crazy.  It's small potatoes in the American economy, but my job is to make it bigger and secure my position in life.  I don't give two figs what this douche says.  I buy what I want most of the time, I never worry about money aside from future investments, I have my own garage parking space, my company pays my health insurance premiums, I have a beautiful and gigantic sunlit office. I'm happy and content.  But I will have more to make it so I don't have to worry anymore...ever...aside from death, and that's not a worry because I've done my best in this life.

I received advanced degrees summa cum laud in two science degrees.  You yankees and californians want some?  You can have some.  Try getting a STEM degree instead of a B.A. in Lesbian Dance Art Human Studies Feminist Minority Gender Intersectional Basketweaving. 

My grandmother clipped coupons with a net value of $4 million dollars until the day she died.  She pissed in a bucket as a kid during the depression.  Others made fun of her when she had to do that in her yard in Bryant, Arkansas.  Now I'm spearheading a move into California for one of the biggest engineering firms in the country.  Reap it.  Reap the whirlwind.

11 minutes ago, Crom33 said:

I WONT be poor again.  You give great advice.  I'm done with being poor.

Being poor has so so many advantages when you lean and play the game. It has so many disadvantages if you don't learn the game.

Don't think you can never be poor again, and you won't be poor again.SAVE>>>SAVE>>>SAVE

4 minutes ago, HerkenMcJerkin said:

Being poor has so so many advantages when you lean and play the game. It has so many disadvantages if you don't learn the game.

Don't think you can never be poor again, and you won't be poor again.SAVE>>>SAVE>>>SAVE

I'm saving and investing.  Wisely.  Fortunately, my bosses know how to invest and are counseling me.  But I'm saving my dollars.  I pull it back whenever I can.  No fancy cars or houses for me.

We come from the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun, where the hot springs flow
The hammer of the gods
W'ell drive our ships to new lands
To fight the horde, and sing and cry
Valhalla, I am coming!
On we sweep with threshing oar
Our only goal will be the western shore
Ah-ah, ah!
Ah-ah, ah!
We come from the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow
How soft your fields so green
Can whisper tales of gore
Of how we calmed the tides of war
We are your overlords
On we sweep with threshing oar
Our only goal will be the western shore
So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing

4 minutes ago, Crom33 said:

I did this on my own.  I worked hard.  Really hard.  And my company is growing at staggering paces.  We're expanding like crazy.  It's small potatoes in the American economy, but my job is to make it bigger and secure my position in life.  I don't give two figs what this douche says.  I buy what I want most of the time, I never worry about money aside from future investments, I have my own garage parking space, my company pays my health insurance premiums, I have a beautiful and gigantic sunlit office. I'm happy and content.  But I will have more to make it so I don't have to worry anymore...ever...aside from death, and that's not a worry because I've done my best in this life.

I received advanced degrees summa cum laud in two science degrees.  You yankees and californians want some?  You can have some.  Try getting a STEM degree instead of a B.A. in Lesbian Dance Art Human Studies Feminist Minority Gender Intersectional Basketweaving. 

My grandmother clipped coupons with a net value of $4 million dollars until the day she died.  She pissed in a bucket as a kid during the depression.  Others made fun of her when she had to do that in her yard in Bryant, Arkansas.  Now I'm spearheading a move into California for one of the biggest engineering firms in the country.  Reap it.  Reap the whirlwind.

LOL. I love seeing bucking steer in their prime. Just remember you are a weak and flawed human like us all. Prone to the same temptations and crap luck like us all. Except if you save save save NOW. That cures a lot of potential ills possibly awaiting us.

Nice chatting.

3 minutes ago, HerkenMcJerkin said:

LOL. I love seeing bucking steer in their prime. Just remember you are a weak and flawed human like us all. Prone to the same temptations and crap luck like us all. Except if you save save save NOW. That cures a lot of potential ills possibly awaiting us.

Nice chatting.

I know - I really do know. I hope I won't KNOW these ruins awaiting.  But I'm aware they exist and are rocks in the harbor.  I'm not in my prime, though.  I'm 44.  I'm just maybe reaching my prime late in life.  But I won't go back to what I lost and could have had earlier in life.  My lessons were learned hard and early. 

But this is perfect advice. It reinforces what I've been thinking.  I really thank you for it.  I've found that whenever you think you're on top, that's when you're prime for the bottom.  I just figured I'd get drunk tonight for a change and celebrate a bit.  This was a long time in coming.