Jump to content

When A Contard Asks You What Law(s) Trump Broke


WillFranklin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here is just the latest on what law(s) Trump broke, per Cohen's testimony.

 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-felony-campaign-finance_us_5b7dae00e4b0348585fcea35

 

Cohen’s plea agreement with the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York states that Cohen “knowingly and willfully made and caused to be made a contribution to,” Trump, named as “Individual-1,” that was in excess of contribution limits in order to buy the silence of women alleging affairs with the then-presidential candidate. Cohen further admitted in court that Trump personally directed him to pay the hush money to the women and promised to reimburse Cohen for those payments through his real estate corporation.

 

 

The Federal Election Campaign Act

The basic provisions of the FECA are described below.

 

Disclosure

The FECA requires candidate committees, party committees and PACs to file periodic reports disclosing the money they raise and spend. Candidates must identify, for example, all PACs and party committees that give them contributions, and they must identify individuals who give them more than $200 in an election cycle. Additionally, they must disclose expenditures exceeding $200 per election cycle to any individual or vendor.

 

 

https://transition.fec.gov/pages/brochures/fecfeca.shtml#Disclosure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that the hang up is still a "he said - he said" dispute.

That they will need other proof to insure that Cohen is not lying.

 

Not defending Trump, but we probably need to wait until more things come out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, peter45 said:

I think that the hang up is still a "he said - he said" dispute.

That they will need other proof to insure that Cohen is not lying.

 

Not defending Trump, but we probably need to wait until more things come out.

 

I think there's a strong case now. The motive is very clear of wanting to hide the facts for the political benefit, and the deceit used not only of a shell company and aliases, but trump lying about any knowledge of the issue which is not credible at all with his lawyer confessing to a crime, leads to a case beyond reasonable doubt of guilt.

 

Funny thing though, of all the trump issues, this one seems about the least to me.

 

The purpose of the law here is to prevent people from buying influence on candidates. But clearly that was not the case here - Cohen floated the money simply as matter of the secrecy desired, not to buy influence - it was a temporary loan - while billions are raised and spent in an utterly corrupt system that DOES allow the influence buying.


I'd suspect that might be some defense - that this is a technical violation but had no real actual harm. Getting all 12 jurors to agree on guilt might not be easy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Craig234 said:

 

I think there's a strong case now. The motive is very clear of wanting to hide the facts for the political benefit, and the deceit used not only of a shell company and aliases, but trump lying about any knowledge of the issue which is not credible at all with his lawyer confessing to a crime, leads to a case beyond reasonable doubt of guilt.

 

Funny thing though, of all the trump issues, this one seems about the least to me.

 

The purpose of the law here is to prevent people from buying influence on candidates. But clearly that was not the case here - Cohen floated the money simply as matter of the secrecy desired, not to buy influence - it was a temporary loan - while billions are raised and spent in an utterly corrupt system that DOES allow the influence buying.


I'd suspect that might be some defense - that this is a technical violation but had no real actual harm. Getting all 12 jurors to agree on guilt might not be easy.

I also suspect that Mueller will get many, many other things out.

But,

Mueller is no fool.

Putting this out there NOW, puts a really big roadblock in front of Trump, if Trump was to attempt to fire Mueller.

 

Not necessarily a legal roadblock, but a political one.

 

Maybe I am too optimistic, but there MAY be a sufficient number of ETHICAL Republicans to make it impossible to fire Mueller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, peter45 said:

I think that the hang up is still a "he said - he said" dispute.

That they will need other proof to insure that Cohen is not lying.

 

Not defending Trump, but we probably need to wait until more things come out.

 

Doesn't Cohen have recordings of Trump?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, WillFranklin said:

 

Doesn't Cohen have recordings of Trump?

Don't know.

But it is still probably better to have all the birds in hand.

 

One political commentator, who had experience as a prosecutor, stated that the Cohen deal was unusual, in that they usually had all the evidence disclosed BEFORE the plea.

I am still guessing that it could have been a preemptive strike by Mueller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, peter45 said:

Don't know.

But it is still probably better to have all the birds in hand.

 

One political commentator, who had experience as a prosecutor, stated that the Cohen deal was unusual, in that they usually had all the evidence disclosed BEFORE the plea.

I am still guessing that it could have been a preemptive strike by Mueller.

 

I read somewhere that Cohen had recordings. I hope so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • bludog changed the title to When A Contard Asks You What Law(s) Trump Broke

"When A Contard Asks You What Law(s) Trump Broke"

 

...................... respond by asking them which laws he didn't break.  When they say he broke no laws, walk away laughing loudly, because you can't convince a person like that of anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, peter45 said:

I also suspect that Mueller will get many, many other things out.

But,

Mueller is no fool.

Putting this out there NOW, puts a really big roadblock in front of Trump, if Trump was to attempt to fire Mueller.

 

Not necessarily a legal roadblock, but a political one.

 

Maybe I am too optimistic, but there MAY be a sufficient number of ETHICAL Republicans to make it impossible to fire Mueller.

 

I don't think anything can actually prevent trump from firing Mueller at this point. One question is his basic willingness to do something outrageous to protect himself and I don't think that'll stop him, like it didn't stop Nixon.

 

What I think is in the way, is one, whether it would actually stop the investigation from proceeding, and that's doubtful, and the other is how much it would hurt him, which is a price he'd rather not pay. Who knows what he'll do as he gets desperate though.

 

I would NOT count on Republicans to 'do the right thing' because it's right though, as they never do - only if the politics force them to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I can tell 52 USC 30109 (always nag with other laws)

 

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=(title:52 section:30109 edition:prelim)

d) Penalties; defenses; mitigation of offenses

(1)(A) Any person who knowingly and willfully commits a violation of any provision of this Act which involves the making, receiving, or reporting of any contribution, donation, or expenditure-

(i) aggregating $25,000 or more during a calendar year shall be fined under title 18, or imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both; 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Craig234 said:

I don't think anything can actually prevent trump from firing Mueller at this point. One question is his basic willingness to do something outrageous to protect himself and I don't think that'll stop him, like it didn't stop Nixon.

 

What I think is in the way, is one, whether it would actually stop the investigation from proceeding, and that's doubtful, and the other is how much it would hurt him, which is a price he'd rather not pay. Who knows what he'll do as he gets desperate though.

 

A wounded and cornered animal does stupid and desperate things.

Trump is a wounded and cornered animal and it follows that he will do stupid and desperate things.

 

One thing he could do is to gather up as much top secret intelligence as he can fit onto a small memory device and fly his personal jet to Russia... after, of course transferring all his money there. He can ask for asylum in exchange for that classified info, it will be granted and he'll never be extradited. We won't know until it's way too late. He'll say he could never get a fair shake from the American legal system. The rigged FBI. The rigged Mueller investigation. The rigged deep state. Everyone to blame but him.

 

If he did that, would Republicans impeach him?

 

That's probably not a fair question, because he would only take such an extreme measure if he was already being impeached and before the Senate trial... if he was thinking clearly.

 

So yeah, he'll fire Mueller eventually. And Sessions. And Rosenstein.

In the mean time, I hope his intelligence briefings are composed of fake data.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Justice has released the charges against Cohen. 

 

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/michael-cohen-pleads-guilty-manhattan-federal-court-eight-counts-including-criminal-tax

 

It references 52 USC 30101 https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/52/30101

 

The specific charges are: 

  • Causing an unlawful campaign contribution (up to 5 years)
  • Making an excessive campaign contribution (up to 5 years)

Cohen implicated Trump under penalty of perjur on both of these violations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, laripu said:

In the mean time, I hope his intelligence briefings are composed of fake data.

 

They're not. It's part of democracy that they respect the voters on this. There might be some occasional consideration of limiting some information, or there might not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess my reply would be just wait for the indictments to come out and give them time to investigate. The Republicans are still having hearings on Hillary's e-mail after all these years but their supporters are saying if you can't bring charges right now stop investigating Trump. Once Cohen roles on Trump we will know my bet is Trump has laundered money for the Russian mafia.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Allen Wesselberg, the man who knows Trumps financial secrets, is granted immunity from prosecution...

 

That and Trumps old pal, AMI's David Pecker, who has also been given immunity has got to have sent Trump's crazy ego go squirming...

 

And I would think that Putin is anything but surprised.

 

Peace!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2018 at 1:46 PM, Olivaw said:

Justice has released the charges against Cohen. 

 

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/michael-cohen-pleads-guilty-manhattan-federal-court-eight-counts-including-criminal-tax

 

It references 52 USC 30101 https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/52/30101

 

The specific charges are: 

  • Causing an unlawful campaign contribution (up to 5 years)
  • Making an excessive campaign contribution (up to 5 years)

Cohen implicated Trump under penalty of perjur on both of these violations. 

 

Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2018 at 8:18 PM, WillFranklin said:

 

Thank you.

 

not sure why Will's whole quote did not come through just now. But I would say Bludog listed a whole lot of lawsuits against Trump, which is to say he basically was unfit to even run as President in my mind. We should really take a look at the long string of Republican candidates who ran in the last few presidential primaries, and it is a very sad list, to say the very least.

 

Look, I got nothing against Stormy Daniels lawyer Michael Avenatti - he seems like a decent fellow who speaks legalese well. But why would he all of the sudden feel as though he's suited to run for the post of president of the US? I'm lost on that one. 

 

If you're like me, remembering when Reagan ran the first time and thinking, a B Hollywood actor, Bedtime for Bonzo, etc... yeah, good luck with that!

 At least he was president of the screen actors guild as well as governor of California. Times have changed indeed. And man, Baraxo was ahead of its time

regarding the use of "plastic"...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...