Zaro

Ultimate breakfast

Ultimate means either 'final' or 'best' or a Frisbee sport.

The last is obviously not related to your list. The list doesn't comprise the best breakfast; not by a long shot.

So it must be your last breakfast.

I hope it means you're giving up breakfast.... and not that some terrible tragedy will befall that will stop all potential future breakfasts.

Because I'm partial to NYC or Montreal bagels with cream cheese and lox. (Or 'lachs'.  Make that 'rauchlachs'. And add some capers please.)

ul·ti·mate
ˈəltəmət/
adjective
adjective: ultimate
  1. 1.
    being or happening at the end of a process; final.
    "their ultimate aim was to force his resignation"
    synonyms: eventual, final, concluding, terminal, end; More

• being the best or most extreme example of its kind.
      "the ultimate accolade"
      synonyms: best, ideal, perfect, greatest, supreme, paramount, superlative, highest, utmost, optimum, quintessential
      "the ultimate gift for cat lovers"
    • basic or fundamental.
      "the ultimate constituents of anything that exists are atoms"
      synonyms: fundamental, basic, primary, elementary, elemental, absolute, central, key, crucial, essential, pivotal
      "ultimate truths about civilization"
    • PHYSICS
      denoting the maximum possible strength or resistance beyond which an object breaks.
noun
noun: ultimate; noun: the ultimate; plural noun: ultimates
  1. 1.
    the best achievable or imaginable of its kind.
    "the ultimate in decorative luxury"
    synonyms: utmost, optimum, last word, height, epitome, peak, pinnacle, acme, zenith, nonpareil, dernier cri, ne plus ultra; More

2. 2.
    a final or fundamental fact or principle.
  3. 3.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    short for Ultimate Frisbee.

5 hours ago, Zaro said:

Leftover pizza, cold

Coffee

Primo weed

Wait, I know... it's ultimate only if you've had the weed first.

How delightful for you.

1 hour ago, Zaro said:

I take it you don't approve of leftover pizza

No, I like it.

I'll have for breakfast sometimes too. I  just don't think if it as 'ultimate'. It's just something that has to be eaten so we don't waste food.

My point wasn't that it's bad.

My point was that it can only be considered as 'ultimate' if your perception of the ultimate is already skewed to something less than optimal.

Ultimate breakfast

Thick-cut, maple cured bacon

Fresh squeezed Orange Juice

Waffle with butter and real maple syrup. 

1 hour ago, Skans said:

Thick-cut, maple cured bacon

Fresh squeezed Orange Juice

My ultimate must include:

Really good coffee.

Home cured-and-cold-smoked lox. (I do that really well.)

Lightly pan-fried whitebait. (I had that in the UK for the first time ever in May.)

A toasted bagel, either NYC or Montreal style but London or Tel Aviv will do nicely too.

A fermented dairy product like yogurt or cream cheese or buttermilk (if it's real).

5 hours ago, laripu said:

How delightful for you.

It hit the spot

2 hours ago, Skans said:

Oh yeah. A real Belgian waffle. It's made from a dough, not a batter, and has those big chunks of sugar in it. 

2 hours ago, laripu said:

Really good coffee.

Lightly pan-fried whitebait. (I had that in the UK for the first time ever in May.)

A toasted bagel, either NYC or Montreal style but London or Tel Aviv will do nicely too.

A fermented dairy product like yogurt or cream cheese or buttermilk (if it's real).

No Gray Poupon? 

Green shake:

1 cup grape juice.

1 cup prune juice.

Portion of fresh kale.  Sometimes broccoli.

Heaping teaspoon of whey protein powder.

Cored apple.

(No Gray Poupon).

Blend on high for about 20 seconds and drink from blender jar.   Deeeelish !

2 hours ago, Zaro said:

No Gray Poupon? 

Doesn't fit with the rest.

I love mustard though, any kind, even nuclear-yellow American. (It's kinda like Düsseldorf mustard.)

Mustard with my home-made garlic pork sausages ... mmmm.

Or with home-smoked Swiss cheese.

I had some fantastic lamb tonight, in a grubby little Pakistani restaurant in the west end of Montreal. The place looks terrible, but the food is terrific.

2 hours ago, bludog said:

Green shake:

1 cup grape juice.

1 cup prune juice.

Portion of fresh kale.  Sometimes broccoli.

Heaping teaspoon of whey protein powder.

Cored apple.

(No Gray Poupon).

Blend on high for about 20 seconds and drink from blender jar.   Deeeelish !

I'll bet you never need to take laxatives, lol.

1 hour ago, laripu said:

I had some fantastic lamb tonight, in a grubby little Pakistani restaurant in the west end of Montreal. The place looks terrible, but the food is terrific.

As a culinary adventure, that appeals to me.  I would go back again, if it was good.  How was the price? 

I'm of the belief that when it comes to eateries, cost often has little connection to quality, taste and preparation of the food itself.  Sometimes you pay for contrived ambience;  And sometimes the atmosphere is enhanced by the very nature of the proprietors, the help and maybe a little bit of authentic decoration.

1 hour ago, TDS said:

I try to start the day right and let nature take its course for the remainder:).

6 hours ago, bludog said:

As a culinary adventure, that appeals to me.  I would go back again, if it was good.  How was the price?

Actually, that was me going back. I ate there a couple of times in 2016, the last time I was in Montreal for a longer trip. This is the place. It's in a middle-class suburb of Montreal called Pierrefonds, which means Rockbottom. :) The owner/cook sometimes walks around the restaurant wearing a hairnet. No hair in the lamb.

The price was really reasonable for the amount of food. After a 20% tip, it was $22 CAD = $17 USD. It included a big plate of rice, a nice green salad, and lots of spicy lamb chunks that had been cooked in a skewer in  tandoor oven. (The before-tip price includes 15% sales taxes, thank you Quebec and Canada.)

I couldn't finish all the lamb or rice so I brought some back to my hotel, which has a full kitchen.

I'm going to have it for breakfast. It beats pizza. :)

Really good coffee.

You'll probably live longer than I; but all of that fish 'n fermented milk surely wonldn't put a smile on my face.  I wouldn't mind a lightly toasted bagel w/ cheddar cheese for a light bight, though.  Don't know if I could tell the difference in where it's made.

Oh yeah. A real Belgian waffle. It's made from a dough, not a batter, and has those big chunks of sugar in it. 

I don't need anything that fancy.  Aunt Jemima out of a box mixed with a bit of oil and nutmeg 'll do just fine in my waffle maker.  But, I wouldn't turn a real Belgian waffle down either, if I could get one!

3 hours ago, Skans said:

You'll probably live longer than I; but all of that fish 'n fermented milk surely wonldn't put a smile on my face.  I wouldn't mind a lightly toasted bagel w/ cheddar cheese for a light bight, though.  Don't know if I could tell the difference in where it's made.

You could, once you've had them. They really look different.

The Tel Aviv bagels are the biggest, but have enormous holes. The NYC bagels are fat things with little holes. Montreal bagels have bigger holes than NYC bagels and are a bit smaller and sweeter. London bagels look like smaller NYC bagels. 

The thing that makes them all good is that they're chewy, not like bread. (Grocery store bagels like Lenders suck.)

Montreal:

Bagels-Montreal-REAL.jpg

NYC:

tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

Tel Aviv:

Abouelafia-Bakery-Port-7-350x450.jpg

London:

bagel.jpg

5 hours ago, laripu said:

The price was really reasonable for the amount of food. After a 20% tip, it was $22 CAD = $17 USD. It included a big plate of rice, a nice green salad, and lots of spicy lamb chunks that had been cooked in a skewer in  tandoor oven. (The before-tip price includes 15% sales taxes, thank you Quebec and Canada.)

Yum yum.  Price not too bad either.

I couldn't finish all the lamb or rice so I brought some back to my hotel, which has a full kitchen.

I'm going to have it for breakfast. It beats pizza. :)

Beats pizza for breakfast by a country mile.

On 8/23/2018 at 7:37 AM, Zaro said:

Leftover pizza, cold

Coffee

Primo weed

dude ultimate breaksfast if u like to be healthy would be a plant based meal/ no oil..

4 minutes ago, PETECOOK003 said:

dude ultimate breaksfast if u like to be healthy would be a plant based meal/ no oil..

Did you miss the weed?

On 8/24/2018 at 7:26 AM, Skans said:

I don't need anything that fancy.  Aunt Jemima out of a box mixed with a bit of oil and nutmeg 'll do just fine in my waffle maker.  But, I wouldn't turn a real Belgian waffle down either, if I could get one!

Liege waffle is the real Belgian waffle. Maybe you can get one in NYC, don't know but they are readily available in the civilized world. And you don't put syrup on it. Fruit and a bit of poudered sugar. Yum yum

On 8/23/2018 at 10:34 PM, TDS said:

A cup of prune juice. There is the laxative

On 8/24/2018 at 12:03 PM, bludog said:

Beats pizza for breakfast by a country mile.

I'll pass on the green shake