Veteran republican Mike Murphy, "moral cowardice has overtaken the party"

rdice that has overtaken the party."

Mike Murphy, a veteran Republican consultant and vocal Trump critic, bemoaned "the larger moral cowardice that has overtaken the party."

"Trump's shtick is that he's the grievance candidate," Murphy said. "He's focused on the economically squeezed Caucasian voter. . . . He is speaking to that rage. Mexican rapists, clever Chinese traders, African-American people as dogs. That's Trump's DNA."

Some Republican lawmakers who have publicly criticized Trump on the issue of race, particularly in the immediate aftermath of Charlottesville, believe their best course of action has been to articulate their own views.

"I'm glad that I stood out, was clear and sometimes critical of comments that are inconsistent with the American ethos on the issue of race, the evolution that we've gone through as a nation," Scott said in an interview. "I think I will look back with some pride that I was able to see the forest for the trees."

Beginning with the violent opposition among some white voters to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Republican leaders began appealing to white voters - especially in the South - with calls for "law and order" and vows to defend states' rights as the federal government enforced the new laws.

Richard Nixon's "Southern strategy" during the 1968 presidential campaign worked to bring longtime Southern Democrats into the Republican fold by courting those dismayed by the civil rights policies pushed by Democratic President Lyndon B. Johnson. Four years later, Nixon further consolidated that bloc in his sweeping reelection victory, in part by picking up voters who had previously backed the White House bid of Democrat and segregationist George Wallace, who was shot and effectively sidelined during the 1972 campaign.

During the 1980 campaign, Ronald Reagan was criticized for speaking about states' rights near Philadelphia, Miss., the town where three civil rights workers were murdered in 1964. And George H.W. Bush was rebuked by critics in 1988 for airing a television ad that showed the image of a convicted black murderer, Willie Horton, in arguing that his Democratic rival was soft on crime.

Alvin Felzenberg, a conservative historian who has written extensively on the American right, said Republicans are haunted by this past but also seemingly unable to escape it.

"The Republican Party since the late 1960s has had a particular problem with race and they don't want to admit it," Felzenberg said. "They don't want to admit it once again with Trump because they don't want to offend their own voters. You can hear the chattering teeth in primaries."

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, benson13 said:

rdice that has overtaken the party."

Mike Murphy, a veteran Republican consultant and vocal Trump critic, bemoaned "the larger moral cowardice that has overtaken the party."

"Trump's shtick is that he's the grievance candidate," Murphy said. "He's focused on the economically squeezed Caucasian voter. . . . He is speaking to that rage. Mexican rapists, clever Chinese traders, African-American people as dogs. That's Trump's DNA."

Some Republican lawmakers who have publicly criticized Trump on the issue of race, particularly in the immediate aftermath of Charlottesville, believe their best course of action has been to articulate their own views.

"I'm glad that I stood out, was clear and sometimes critical of comments that are inconsistent with the American ethos on the issue of race, the evolution that we've gone through as a nation," Scott said in an interview. "I think I will look back with some pride that I was able to see the forest for the trees."

Beginning with the violent opposition among some white voters to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Republican leaders began appealing to white voters - especially in the South - with calls for "law and order" and vows to defend states' rights as the federal government enforced the new laws.

Richard Nixon's "Southern strategy" during the 1968 presidential campaign worked to bring longtime Southern Democrats into the Republican fold by courting those dismayed by the civil rights policies pushed by Democratic President Lyndon B. Johnson. Four years later, Nixon further consolidated that bloc in his sweeping reelection victory, in part by picking up voters who had previously backed the White House bid of Democrat and segregationist George Wallace, who was shot and effectively sidelined during the 1972 campaign.

During the 1980 campaign, Ronald Reagan was criticized for speaking about states' rights near Philadelphia, Miss., the town where three civil rights workers were murdered in 1964. And George H.W. Bush was rebuked by critics in 1988 for airing a television ad that showed the image of a convicted black murderer, Willie Horton, in arguing that his Democratic rival was soft on crime.

Alvin Felzenberg, a conservative historian who has written extensively on the American right, said Republicans are haunted by this past but also seemingly unable to escape it.

"The Republican Party since the late 1960s has had a particular problem with race and they don't want to admit it," Felzenberg said. "They don't want to admit it once again with Trump because they don't want to offend their own voters. You can hear the chattering teeth in primaries."

LBJ and the N-word...

Room Idiot615/GayBoy

YOU ARE COLLECTING WELFARE ANYWAY YOU NIGGA POS!!!! 

MidnightMax said:

AND your N!GGER GOD OBLAMEO WAS THE MASTER OF DEBT!!!

MidnightMax said:
Then you could REALLY be proud of your little "n!gger god" couldn't you????

Blue Devil...oktoberkat is a coward N!gger.

Blue Devil ...Ignorant and Stupid Bad wordin' N!ggers...

Blue Devil

Cling to your Plantation n!gger cause, Communists.

Blue Devil

n!ggers were never that important, were already being replaced by machinery, and if the Southern Americans had any idea of just have Bad worded up America would get because of them?

JTZilla

i was taxed more each year tha Nlgger was fraudulently in office,,,the world laughs at us for having a Bad wording filthy faggot assed Nlggar there at the whitehouse....  Im ashamed of my country!!!

JTZilla

Bad word obama and the nigacrats he stands for

JTZilla

she isnt moving in because  she doesnt want to smell that nlgger smell

JTZilla

seriously how do you vote for a nlgger?

unbelievable

JTZilla

i was taxed more each year tha Nlgger was fraudulently in office,,,the world laughs at us for having a Bad wording filthy faggot assed Nlggar there at the whitehouse....  Im ashamed of my country!!!

JTZilla

no more nlgger filth in the white house

JTZilla

better than having a field nlgger like michael (michelle) obama in the white house,,,,

JTZilla

JTZilla, on 28 Feb 2017 - 11:06 PM, said:snapback.png

Bad word YOU NlGGER

1 minute ago, personreal said:

benson cites LBJ, then harry runs from it.   :)

who is running? the tape is almost 60 years old. trumps N word tape is more recent. can't wait to hear it!

then we can join hands in demanding the racist resign , right?

1 minute ago, harryramar said:

who is running? the tape is almost 60 years old. trumps N word tape is more recent. can't wait to hear it!

then we can join hands in demanding the racist resign , right?

60 years old?  Then why did benson cite LBJ?

Good luck with the Omarosa tape...you'll need it.

I remember when benson thought Michael Wolff's book was the final nail.   :)

when the trump N word tape comes out will you join us in demanding that he resign or do you support racism?

not going to happen... but hey there is a tape of Cuomo saying that America was never great!!!!

In related news...

Democrats in the fall have claimed they'll be going after ICE agents that are arresting illegal criminals....

And they promise to raise your taxes...

And everyone in law enforcement are racist....

3 minutes ago, harryramar said:

when the trump N word tape comes out will you join us in demanding that he resign or do you support racism?

Did anyone demand Robert Byrd resign?

Actually he was reelected numerous times

3 minutes ago, Z09 said:

In related news...

Democrats in the fall have claimed they'll be going after ICE agents that are arresting illegal criminals....

And they promise to raise your taxes...

And everyone in law enforcement are racist....

That should be a good platform for the dems.   :)

4 minutes ago, personreal said:

60 years old?  Then why did benson cite LBJ?

Good luck with the Omarosa tape...you'll need it.

I remember when benson thought Michael Wolff's book was the final nail.   :)

I don't speak for benson. since you decried lbj use of the N word, may I assume the excuses will fly fast and thick when the trump N word tape is released??

I don't speak for benson. since you decried lbj use of the N word, may I assume the excuses will fly fast and thick when the trump N word tape is released??

I'm looking forward to it...and when it doesn't turn out the way you want it to, it will be you going fast and thick.  :)

Moral cowardice has taken over the party..

Isn't that what the Democrat in Chicago said?

No....He said minorities have no morals..

So Benson...

Would you rather have moral cowardice or just no morals in the first place??

Just now, Z09 said:

Moral cowardice has taken over the party..

Isn't that what the Democrat in Chicago said?

No....He said minorities have no morals..

So Benson...

Would you rather have moral cowardice or just no morals in the first place??

benson is doing the very best that he can.  :)

Just now, personreal said:

I'm looking forward to it...and when it doesn't turn out the way you want it to, it will be you going fast and thick.  :)

but if it does come out and he uses the N word will you join us in demanding his resignation or will you make excuses as per usual?

simple question, bro