Jump to content

Elderly Lives Matter


ExPDXer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Georgia police taser 87-year-old grandmother who was cutting flowers

c14d29ac-9807-4951-99ff-0a793a80b4fa-AP_

 

Georgia police are defending an officer's decision to use a taser on a 87-year-old elderly woman using a knife to cut dandelions.

Law enforcement officials say the woman, Martha Al-Bishara, should have followed orders. But Al-Bishara does not speak English and did not understand the officer's request.

 

"An 87-year-old woman with a knife still has the ability to hurt an officer," Chatsworth Police Chief Josh Etheridge told the Daily Citizen-News of Dalton. 

She was charged with criminal trespass and obstructing an officer. 

The incident comes just a week after a separate case involving the controversial use of a taser occurred in Ohio when a police officer used a stun gun on an 11-year-old girl accused of stealing. A Reuters investigation published last year looked into over 1,000 deaths related to tasers with many fatalities among society's most-vulnerable.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A taser's effect on an 87 year old is usually far more traumatic than on a younger person.  But it's potent enough that much younger people have died from being tasered.  There can really be no excuse for this.  The police officer saw she couldn't understand his order to drop the knife so he took out his own pocket knife and dropped it as a demonstration.  That means he had plenty of time to observe her and surely knew she meant no harm.

 

The decision to tase an old lady like this not only shows lack of proper training but reveals a bully mentality on the part of the officer.  Seeing the harmless nature of the suspect, he should have been far more patient and waited for the situation to resolve itself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was no chance this woman was threatening the officer.

 

Americans as a whole need to travel a bit to other countries, be exposed to other cultures, and learn at least one other language reasonably well.

 

Then they might not assume that a harmless little old lady speaking a foreign language is a threat.

 

I really really really hope her one of her grandchildren is a cutthroat lawyer experienced in civil litigation. I'm thinking $5 million, grossed up for taxes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My mother is 88 and if a cop tazed her the outrage I would feel would probably get me put in a padded room. This is beyond training it's just an us against them mentality some in the police force believe, sadly it's more than just a bad apple here or there but a real perception by too many who work in law enforcement, I understand cops have to deal with the worst in society but too often some really sour on society in general.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me assure you those are devout republicans there.  It's the same town where the judge had his cop cousins plant meth on a woman's car because she wouldn't have sex with him.  http://www.dailycitizen.news/news/cochran-found-guilty-on-all-counts/article_416a6bc0-816b-11e4-a372-6fd04a97c2b4.html

 

It's the good ole boy system where everyone is everyone's cousin and how that woman managed to convince the GBI that a judge planted drugs in her car is beyond me.

 

But regarding this story, whether I'm an inbred hillbilly or not there is no way I'm tasering an old woman and facing my friends afterward.  If he can't just walk up and take the knife from an 87 yr old woman, then he shouldn't be a cop.  I'd let her stab me before I tasered an old woman!  What happened to southern gentlemen?!?

 

I hope someone sues the pants off of them.  That town needs reformed.  Too much dumbassery making national news as a % of the population (about 4000 people).

 

Here they are with a pot plant growing in the courthouse window http://www.dailycitizen.news/news/local_news/evidence-or-window-decoration-pot-plant-in-plain-view/article_23e76253-ad7f-5767-98f7-2973a51cb84c.html

 

The neighboring town, Dalton, has the distinction of being the second least educated city in America  https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2014/dec/09/big-five-least-educated-metro-cities-us/277308/

 

And they're all Trump supporters!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rome Georgia, a small world indeed, I dated a woman from there in the early 90's when she was out here in CA, pretty much spot on how she described it to me, backward thinking racist hicks that don't want nothing to do with progressive social agenda, they are content living a certain way (at least they think so) and don't want nobody coming down there trying to change them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously this is nuts! You would back off, back way off, even if an old lady was threatening, yet here she clearly was not. So I run after work at night. One night in the soft rain I'm passing by this old homeless guy, it was a narrow pathway, and he had what looked like all his belongings, and a long beard. Clearly, he held out a knife towards me. I could tell in the way he looked at me that he was scared and extremely confused - likely suffering from some type of psychotic disorder. Of course I backed off. I wanted to help him, so that he would not do any harm to himself or anyone else. It was dark by then and no one was around. 

 

I made a wide turn around him and then slowed down telling him that I as no threat. I called the police on my smart phone, but they never came. The police, had they showed up, if they were smart, would have staid back as well and tried to talk him down. This is of course a different scenario from the poor woman who was only cutting dandelions  - maybe for a flower setting or to make some wine. 

 

Police sometimes are over worked and over stressed. It's a crazy world. Don't forget!

 

Peace!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TheOldBarn said:

Police sometimes are over worked and over stressed. It's a crazy world. Don't forget!

 

Yes.  It's the nature of the job.  Often they develop and "us against them" mentality which they share with each other.  But that's still no excuse not to differentiate between a dangerous suspect and a harmless one.  Especially when there's plenty of time, as in this case.  IMO, this officer should have suspended without pay and put on probation, to discourage such behavior.  Instead, his bosses are sticking up for him, sending a clear message that it's okay taser anyone who doesn't immediately follow orders.

 

Although we are far from it, the ideal would for potential rookies to have a certain amount of social work training, as a job requirement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, bludog said:

 

Yes.  It's the nature of the job.  Often they develop and "us against them" mentality which they share with each other.  But that's still no excuse not to differentiate between a dangerous suspect and a harmless one.  Especially when there's plenty of time, as in this case.  IMO, this officer should have suspended without pay and put on probation, to discourage such behavior.  Instead, his bosses are sticking up for him, sending a clear message that it's okay taser anyone who doesn't immediately follow orders.

 

Although we are far from it, the ideal would for potential rookies to have a certain amount of social work training, as a job requirement.

absolutely!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

Police sometimes are over worked and over stressed. It's a crazy world. Don't forget!

 

Not in that small town they're not.  They grab a coffee from the Kangaroo and park waiting to handout speeding tickets.  

 

Crime, besides drugs use, petty theft, and fist fights, is about nonexistent and I don't think there has ever been a murder... at least not since 2002 http://www.city-data.com/city/Chatsworth-Georgia.html

 

The cops are bored out of their mind and just looking for someone (who is not a cousin) to rough up.

 

There should be a law against ex-military serving on police.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bluenami said:

 

Not in that small town they're not.  They grab a coffee from the Kangaroo and park waiting to handout speeding tickets.  

 

Crime, besides drugs use, petty theft, and fist fights, is about nonexistent and I don't think there has ever been a murder... at least not since 2002 http://www.city-data.com/city/Chatsworth-Georgia.html

 

The cops are bored out of their mind and just looking for someone (who is not a cousin) to rough up.

 

There should be a law against ex-military serving on police.

And that's exactly where a large portion came from in the 90's when the crime bill passed, fresh from a war in Iraq to patrolling the neighborhoods here. Personally I really don't know if some sort of training took place for former military to differentiate warzone to peace time policing took place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/19/2018 at 7:14 AM, fourputt said:

And that's exactly where a large portion came from in the 90's when the crime bill passed, fresh from a war in Iraq to patrolling the neighborhoods here. Personally I really don't know if some sort of training took place for former military to differentiate warzone to peace time policing took place. 

 

I'm guessing not.

 

militarized-police.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...