laripu

Nonsense word songs

Post your favorite nonsense word songs.

There's lots of them. Most Americans know:  "Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp  Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong"

Not nearly as many know about Dong Work for Yuda. It's my favorite:

The original Dong Work for Yuda:

There's a million of 'em.

Old Man

by Neil Young                     The lyrics don't make much sense but instrumentally, melodically and performance-wise, its a great number.

[Verse 2]
Lullabies, look in your eyes
Run around the same old town
Doesn't mean that much to me
To mean that much to you

I've been first and last
Look at how the time goes past
But I'm all alone at last
Rolling home to you

One that I always remember for really incongruous lyrics was:

American Pie

Don McLean

On 8/1/2018 at 4:26 PM, bludog said:

There's a million of 'em.

Old Man

by Neil Young                     The lyrics don't make much sense but instrumentally, melodically and performance-wise, its a great number.

[Verse 2]
Lullabies, look in your eyes
Run around the same old town
Doesn't mean that much to me
To mean that much to you

I've been first and last
Look at how the time goes past
But I'm all alone at last
Rolling home to you

One that I always remember for really incongruous lyrics was:

American Pie

Don McLean

McLean was drinking whiskey and rye when he wrote it.

As for neil young, I'll have what he had when he wrote it.

"Yummy, yummy, yummy, I got love in my tummy"

Maybe that was about rod stewart and the stomach pump urban legend..

2 minutes ago, TDS said:

This one has the dumbest lyrics of all time. 

Light as a fairy and wore number 9 shoes, wtf?

Light she was and like a fairy
And her shoes were number nine
Herring boxes, without topses
Sandals were for Clementine

Sounds to me like humor. A joke. A fanciful funny. But I dunno. Maybe herring boxes without topses were the bees knees way back when. 

10 hours ago, laripu said:

Goo goo goo joob.

England's Elvis. Cool!

10 hours ago, laripu said:

Goo goo goo joob.

England's Elvis. Cool!

Apeman, by The Kinks is a unique Eden fantasy.  The words make perfect sense and the theme is consistent but the alternative reality described is charmingly nonsensical.  Steel drums and all.

Apeman

Written by Ray Davies

I think I'm sophisticated
'Cause I'm living my life like a good homosapien
But all around me, everybody's multiplying
And they're walking round like flies man
So I'm no better than the animals sitting in their cages In the zoo man
Because compared to the flowers and the birds and the trees
I am an Apeman

I think I'm so educated and I'm so civilized
'Cause I'm a strict vegetarian
But with the over-population and inflation and starvation
And the crazy politicians

I don't feel safe in this world no more
I don't want to die in a nuclear war
I want to sail away to a distant shore
And make like an Apeman

I'm an Apeman, I'm an Ape Apeman
No, I'm an Apeman
Well, I'm a King Kong man, I'm a Voo-Doo man
No, I'm an Apeman.

[Chorus]
'Cause the only time that I feel at ease
Is swinging up and down in a coconut tree
Oh what a life of luxury
To be like an ape man

[Spoken Interlude]
In man's evolution he has created the cities and
The motor traffic rumble, but give me half a chance
And I'd be taking off my clothes and living in the jungle

'Cause compared to the sun that sits in the sky
Compared to the clouds as they roll by
Compared to the bugs and the spiders and flies
I am an Apeman

Come on and Love me

Be my apeman girl

And we'll be so happy

In my apeman world

I'll be your Tarzan, you'll be my Jane
I'll keep you warm and you'll keep me sane
And we'll sit in the trees and eat bananas all day
Just like an ape man

3 hours ago, bludog said:

The words make perfect sense and the theme is consistent but the alternative reality described is charmingly nonsensical.

The only problem with the alternate reality is that it can only work when population is so small that nothing special must be done to have sufficient food. The bananas, coconuts, and probably some oysters will be enough. Of course in a situation like that you'll die of any minor ailment you get; no health care.

We have a hugely stressful world, but it got that way by creating bodies of knowledge and social structures and regulating mechanisms that allow us to support many more lives than our prehistoric ancestors could.

We are now well over 7.647 billion on this planet.  See: http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/.

Some estimates for 10,000 BC are 4 to 6 million.

For paleolithic time, say 200,000 years ago, like the song, we'd have to be around 100,000 to 300,000.

So we could return to the conditions of that time. But only at the cost of almost everyone's life.

Paleo humans, if they reached puberty, could plan on a lifespan of 60 to 70 years. But many died before puberty or even during childbirth. So the average lifespan was about 25.  See https://paleoleap.com/why-cavemen-didnt-die-young/

That really brought down the number of stupid teenagers though.

Paradise sucked. You couldn't get penicillin. You couldn't get Chinese food. And music was just drums and singing: and no way to write down the words so it all had to be simple and repetitive.

No stress = really boring.

Apeman is in my 25 most favorite singles.  Ray Davies was a great song writer and lead singer for the Kinks.  Although the song is playful and amusingly silly, it is also thought provoking, as your post shows.

Many of Davies songs are part social commentary, including Lola and Celluloid Heroes.

5 hours ago, laripu said:

The only problem with the alternate reality is that it can only work when population is so small that nothing special must be done to have sufficient food. The bananas, coconuts, and probably some oysters will be enough. Of course in a situation like that you'll die of any minor ailment you get; no health care.

Eden fantasies of original paradise, including the one in Genesis, always ignore the hardships and routine uncontrollably lethal circumstances accompanying primitive life.  Small populations of the paleolithic, usually clans, often had great difficulty procuring sufficient food or finding water during drought.  And as you observe, any small ailment could be fatal.   Archeological digs reveal that many isolated populations were wiped out.

In fact, bananas were originally native to Malaysia and Australia and domesticated in Papua New Guinea.  Now they grow wild in every moist tropical area on Earth compliments of  human dispersion for domestic cultivation.  And to this day, coconut palms only grow near the seashore.  They never grow in rain forests.

5 hours ago, laripu said:

Paradise sucked. You couldn't get penicillin. You couldn't get Chinese food. And music was just drums and singing: and no way to write down the words so it all had to be simple and repetitive.

No stress = really boring.

As boring as it would be for us (I know it would be for me), personification of nature and inanimate objects connected with absolute belief in numerous gods, combined with endless ritual surrounding these beliefs, filled their world with drama.  These rituals involved story telling which contained much information necessary for survival.  In addition to formal rituals, nearly every act of daily life was accompanied by some kind of spoken observance.  That's one of the main reasons the sudden intrusion of civilization on, for instance,  isolated Amazon tribes is so psychologically devastating for them ....  Their beliefs are trashed.  

But by far more physically devastating, is lack of resistance to even the common cold, which can easily kill them.