laripu

Beware of extremism

The goal of the Kremlin is to create great division in American society. Their hope is that enough division will cause the country to split.

To that end, they use the freedom of the Internet, to create posts that pull us apart, or where we are already divided, to use alarmism to create a sense of hopelessness. Russian sock puppets can also appear to be anti-Trump, if greater division is the goal.

Their example is the destruction of the Soviet Union, in which samizdat played a part. Putin himself had his career affected by this. It must stick in his craw.

Beware of overly alarmist posts here, that try to make you feel like nothing can be done via the American legislative or legal systems. Be especially wary of alarmist posts that steer you to any illegal action.

+1!   

I could not possibly agree more.  A healthy, even passionate, debate on alternative courses of action is good for democracy.  Treating anyone on the other side as if they were truly evil is not good.  This division has got to the point where no judge's ruling is interpreted as an honest legal opinion.  Instead, it's filtered through the lens of 'is he a D or an R?'.  No politician's proposal is considered based on its merits.  Instead it's lauded or attacked based on what party they're from.  This extreme partisanship is poison.

But, how do you calm it down?  How do you approach fired up people (like the NHB) and convince them to be polite and reasonable?   It feels like there's no way to restore normalcy once the provocateurs have done their work.

3 hours ago, laripu said:

Beware of overly alarmist posts here, that try to make you feel like nothing can be done via the American legislative or legal systems

Good point and I have made several posts such as this.  Divison  is Russia's goal and it has been sucesssfull. I am normally a fairly reasonable person. However when all you hold dear is being destroyed by a president that is likely illegitimate, has engaged in nothing short of a rein of terror on the entire country (except for the base) opposition party all probably scripted in Russia? The outrage is understandable. The feeling I got watching Trump in Helsinki was the same feeling I had watching on TV as the second plane flew into the twin towers. Same feeling of oh my god we have been attacked. Same sick feeling in my stomach. And from Putin's cockiness tossing a ball to Trump 'here the ball is in your court". Helsinki was the diplomatic equivalent of taking Trump (And the USA) be the hair and rubbing his face in crap and dragging him around the room. People should be concerned and alarmed even but should also try to keep an even keel. I think I have gotten my anxiety out of my system (and hopefully not infected others) but last Monday knocked the wind right out of my sails. I will carry on as if there is a remedy and vote. At some point this will all sort itself out the sooner the better. When I think about it I lived through a good chunk of the cold war and I was not brooding over nuclear annihilation daily so...why start now. :)  Again great point and  samizdat interesting never knew this Thanks!

8 hours ago, Renegade said:

But, how do you calm it down?  How do you approach fired up people (like the NHB) and convince them to be polite and reasonable?   It feels like there's no way to restore normalcy once the provocateurs have done their work.

It can't be done. People whose goal is to be unreasonable can't be made reasonable with reason. Provocateurs have no desire to be informed, just to provoke.

That's why I don't go into NHB. It's useless, except as entertainment.

5 hours ago, pentiumpilot said:

People should be concerned and alarmed even but should also try to keep an even keel.

My wife and I regularly yell at CNN and MS-NBC. Occasionally we look at Fox News and yell even louder, then change the channel in about 30 seconds.

I remind myself that every outrage perpetrated by PPPP* is another brick in the Mueller report.

* PPPP = Putin's Preferred Presidential Pick

3 hours ago, laripu said:

every outrage perpetrated by PPPP* is another brick in the Mueller report.

Yes but depending on how deep and how bad this all is and the  rate of Trump decompensation that may just be an interesting historical document when and if it is ever released 

43 minutes ago, pentiumpilot said:

Yes but depending on how deep and how bad this all is 

Impeachment in the House, conviction in the Senate, then civil and criminal prosecution. 

A cell shared with Bernie Madoff. A dispute about which one sucks off the other one. My guess: Madoff wins, and Trump has to pay for the privilege too.

Splooge.

Really very deep and bad.