laripu

Back to my Jewish roots

Nah, not religion. I've been an atheist since age 4. And my wife is German Catholic, so religion ain't a thang for me.

I'm taking about food. Not just any food either, but the most Jewish of Jewish foods: chopped liver.

My wife had some dental surgery, so she was out, mostly sleeping off the anesthesia, or the pain meds later. She wasn't eating either, so I cooked for myself. This is the version that's a tiny bit more heart friendly than the original: it uses olive oil instead of chicken fat to fry everything.

But no blenders or food processors. This is chopped liver. That's how you get the right eastern European ghetto texture. ;)

1.5 lbs chicken liver (inspect then and remove any green gall or anything that doesn't look right)

1 medium onion

1 garlic clove

Olive oil

Salt

Pepper

Chop up the onion and garlic while your frying pan is heating up.

When they're chopped and the pan is warm, add olive oil to pan.

Add chopped onions and garlic, salt and pepper.

Cook until the onions just start to caramelize. (That brings out sweetness.)

Add the liver, cover and cook until almost all the blood has disappeared.

Uncover and continue cooking on high heat, stirring, until much of the liquid boils off and the liver is completely cooked.

Put it in a bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to cool.

When cool, put the liver/onions on a plastic chopping board (a bit at a time, don't overwhelm the board) and chop until pieces are fine, so mostly under 1/4 inch. (Onions, in quantity, are bad for dogs, so don't feed them any of this liver.)

Make a sandwich, on multigrain toast or toasted Jewish caraway-seeded rye bread. Mustard goes well with this. 

Refrigerate !!! You won't be able to finish this, and it a changes flavor with time and oxidation (because liver has lots of iron).

Hey, what am I? Chopped liver? 

😁

I'm pretty sure you're not ignoring this because of the word 'Jewish' in the title. 

Could it be that nobody's interested in offal? Internal organs? Bits and bites of unusual meat?

If you like liver, that was a really good recipe.

Except I forgot to say "salt the liver when it's in the pan".

On 7/21/2018 at 1:40 PM, laripu said:

😁

I'm pretty sure you're not ignoring this because of the word 'Jewish' in the title. 

Could it be that nobody's interested in offal? Internal organs? Bits and bites of unusual meat?

If you like liver, that was a really good recipe.

Except I forgot to say "salt the liver when it's in the pan".

I like it. I also like goose liver. 

34 minutes ago, GorgeousGeorge said:

I like it. I also like goose liver. 

I've had foie gras from duck and goose and it tasted good, but what I don't like is that they create the fatty livers by force-feeding the animal.

After having tasted it twice (once duck foie gras in France, once goose foie gras in Israel) I won't eat it anymore. It's not good enough to account for the cruelty.

Chicken livers are just livers, not force-fed livers. I'd eat goose and duck liver if they weren't from force-fed animals. 

On 7/23/2018 at 9:13 PM, laripu said:

I've had foie gras from duck and goose and it tasted good, but what I don't like is that they create the fatty livers by force-feeding the animal.

After having tasted it twice (once duck foie gras in France, once goose foie gras in Israel) I won't eat it anymore. It's not good enough to account for the cruelty.

Chicken livers are just livers, not force-fed livers. I'd eat goose and duck liver if they weren't from force-fed animals. 

I always wondered what fois gras was.

I always thought it was about eating grass.

8 hours ago, GorgeousGeorge said:

I always wondered what fois gras was.

It's a liver disease, brought on in the animal on purpose, by massive overfeeding.

Literally, "fat liver".

For a cognate in English, think of "grease". The Latin root for both words is crassus, meaning fat.

I'll stick with regular, undiseased liver, thanks.

12 hours ago, laripu said:

It's a liver disease, brought on in the animal on purpose, by massive overfeeding.

Literally, "fat liver".

For a cognate in English, think of "grease". The Latin root for both words is crassus, meaning fat.

I'll stick with regular, undiseased liver, thanks.

Yuck! Meeeeeeeee tooooooooo!

On 7/21/2018 at 12:40 PM, laripu said:

😁

You are what you eat

24 minutes ago, laripu said:

Or what you smoke?

I never heard anybody say that

12 hours ago, Zaro said:

I never heard anybody say that

Right, me neither.

But I'm not chopped liver even if I eat it.

Even if I eat p'tchah, the Jewish version of sulze, I'm not aspic. Not even ass-pick. 🙂

I love foods from cultures of poverty. I can almost feel poor people thinking about how to make something out of nearly nothing.

Pretty much all central and Eastern European cooking is like that. On Sunday, my wife and I ate brat-herring and big soft pretzels. It was German, but could have easily been Jewish too. My parents would have eaten it. They certainly liked herring.

5 hours ago, laripu said:

Right, me neither.

But I'm not chopped liver even if I eat it.

Even if I eat p'tchah, the Jewish version of sulze, I'm not aspic. Not even ass-pick. 🙂

I love foods from cultures of poverty. I can almost feel poor people thinking about how to make something out of nearly nothing.

Pretty much all central and Eastern European cooking is like that. On Sunday, my wife and I ate brat-herring and big soft pretzels. It was German, but could have easily been Jewish too. My parents would have eaten it. They certainly liked herring.

Herring is great. 

We eat way to much highly processed "food", that's where I think the saying came from. And I certainly don't feel like a smoked sausage after a fat joint

11 hours ago, Zaro said:

Herring is great. 

We eat way to much highly processed "food", that's where I think the saying came from. 

OK, but chopped liver isn't processed food. Not even processed in a food processor. I'm not talking about buying it from the deli.

If you make it right, it's literally chopped by hand until it's in tiny pieces. You'll understand "klein-gehackt", as it were, the exact same words in German and Yiddish.

In the realm of chopped foods, there's also "gehackte herring", which I haven't made yet, but plan to make sometime in the near-ish future. This was one of my mother's favorites.

I haven't made this because when it comes to marinated herring I'm a barbarian. I usually eat it straight out of the jar. Three or four pieces and I'm done.

On 10/10/2018 at 12:50 PM, laripu said:

OK, but chopped liver isn't processed food. Not even processed in a food processor. I'm not talking about buying it from the deli.

If you make it right, it's literally chopped by hand until it's in tiny pieces. You'll understand "klein-gehackt", as it were, the exact same words in German and Yiddish.

In the realm of chopped foods, there's also "gehackte herring", which I haven't made yet, but plan to make sometime in the near-ish future. This was one of my mother's favorites.

I haven't made this because when it comes to marinated herring I'm a barbarian. I usually eat it straight out of the jar. Three or four pieces and I'm done.

Smoked herring is yummy. Anything smoked is yummy.

spliffs are yummy.

44 minutes ago, TDS said:

Smoked herring is yummy. Anything smoked is yummy.

Smoked herring, i.e. kippers, are yummy indeed. I make cold-smoked cheese and salmon (lox) when it's cold enough in Tampa. (December or January). I also hot-smoke turkey, pork, and sometimes beef.

46 minutes ago, TDS said:

spliffs are yummy.

I wouldn't know, as (1) I'm incapable of smoking and (2) I'm a compulsive law-obeyer. Years ago I smoked cigarettes and they damaged my lungs, which I regret every time I get a cold.

However, when I've retired, if pot ever becomes legal both federally and in my state, then I'll make some sort of concoction to eat it.

Maybe cannamead. Ethiopians make mead (they call tej) flavored with "gesho", the twigs of an Ethiopian plant. I have a feeling cannabis might work well as a replacement for gesho, and bring psychoactive properties to the mead.

I've made traditional mead, ginger mead, raspberry mead, gesho-flavored pseudo-tej and pineapple mead. I'm planning a banana mead eventually.

I'm drinking my home brewed pineapple mead as I write this. 😊