Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Craig234

Yet again the radical right-wing Supreme Court wins a 5-4, this time to suppress voting

Ohio won a 5-4 ruling to allow them to more aggressively remove voters from the voting list.

I've long said the voters don't pay enough attention to the courts as a political issue.

On the other hand,

is it true,

that eventually,

all governments degenerate into oligarchies?

Judges are selected by a variety of methods which vary by state. 

~  Partisan elections: Judges are elected by the people, and candidates are listed on the ballot alongside a label designating political party affiliation.

~  Nonpartisan elections: Judges are elected by the people, and candidates are listed on the ballot without a label designating party affiliation.

~  Legislative elections: Judges are selected by the state legislature.

~  Gubernatorial appointment: Judges are appointed by the governor. In some cases, approval from the legislative body is required.

~  Assisted appointment, also known as merit selection or the Missouri Plan: A nominating commission reviews the qualifications of judicial candidates and submits a list of names to the governor, who appoints a judge from the list. After serving an initial term, the judge must be confirmed by the people in a yes-no retention election to continue serving.

https://ballotpedia.org/Judicial_selection_in_the_states

Even in the case of partisan election where judges are listed by party, on the ballot, it can be difficult to make a choice because judges are supposed to fair, impartial and objective.  That makes it difficult for them to mount campaigns in which they aggressively represent themselves.  It is even more difficult to choose in non-partisan elections where no party is shown on the ballot.  But a large number of judges are appointed by governor, commission, legislature or the US president.

When I lived in NY State, I sometimes found myself in the voting booth confronted by a choice of judges I was not familiar with. Others voters I talked with found themselves in the same predicament.   It must be that a small group of insiders vote in most judges where they are not selected.  It seems that the party in power usually gets judges appointed of the same party.  The solution is to take the legislative and executive branches of government back again ...  The judicial follows.

It doesn't really matter what system we pick, we're screwed because the radical right plutocrats have the Federalist Society recruiting, indoctrinating, and enforcing ideological discipline by providing career advancement and networking to thousands of people in the legal profession, as long as they follow the ideology they're told to.

It's highly organized and effective at providing the nominees to all judicial positions for Republicans. The last several Republican appointees to the Supreme Court have simply come from a list of names provided by the Federalist Society, as do the other court nominees.

The other side has NOTHING, except people with the integrity to pass up the benefits of signing up with the 'dark side' and following the radical right-wing agenda.

The result of this decades of court packing is controlling the Supreme Court, getting hundreds of 5-4 rulings for the radical right, and it's not changing soon.

At the end of the day, the constitution and laws don't mean anything except what the Supreme Court says they mean. It's hard enough to win the legislative and executive branches in corrupted elections, but the courts help guarantee that they get their way - just as the court making unlimited money in elections a constitutional right has let them buy the government.

On the other hand,

maybe the registration process is the problem.

It really doesn't make sense to have dead people registered to vote.

But there is no process to un-register. If you die.

And registration on the day of the election would have lines miles, and miles long.

As I understand it, it has been ruled that you actually do not have a RIGHT to vote.

Something that I think came out of the Bush vs Gore SCOTUS rulings.

I have had personal experiences with a crooked judge who presided over a case I had against a former land lord who was a friend of the judge. Also they were both masons.

It changed my mind about our american justice system. Justice=money.

6 hours ago, peter45 said:

On the other hand,

maybe the registration process is the problem.

It really doesn't make sense to have dead people registered to vote.

But there is no process to un-register. If you die.

And registration on the day of the election would have lines miles, and miles long.

As I understand it, it has been ruled that you actually do not have a RIGHT to vote.

Something that I think came out of the Bush vs Gore SCOTUS rulings.

Straight out of 1984, slavery is freedom. The modern version, corporations are people.

Yeah, but soylent green is people too. 

8 minutes ago, GorgeousGeorge said:

I have had personal experiences with a crooked judge who presided over a case I had against a former land lord who was a friend of the judge. Also they were both masons.

It changed my mind about our american justice system. Justice=money.

You should have been able to report that.

It sounds like a clear conflict of interest.

1 minute ago, Craig234 said:

It sounds like a clear conflict of interest.

Strange you should say that.

After I was evicted I rented an apartment from a guy who was a client of the lawyer who my wife once worked for. I told him about it and said I was going to get him for it.

It turned out that the republican judge was a friend of his and told me not to do it. I had no choice because it was hard to find an apartment at the time of the building boom. This landlord hated black people even though he had made a fortune off of them via section 8 rentals. The last I heard about him was that he was in a lot of pain and was getting ready to meet the big judge in the sky. No, I mean the mean judge down below, if you follow my drift.

I love happy endings.

3 minutes ago, Craig234 said:

Agreed, he should have been able to report it.  But report it to who?  Who will take up the cause of a dissatisfied plaintiff whose small-claims case has already been tried?  Many judges get away with corruption and injustice for years, if they are ever caught at all.

1 minute ago, bludog said:

Agreed, he should have been able to report it.  But report it to who?  Who will take up the cause of a dissatisfied plaintiff whose small-claims case has already been tried?  Many judges get away with corruption and injustice for years, if they are ever caught at all.

There are places to file such complaints. I'm not sure what all of them are, but one is the bar association - I think there are more in the case of judges.

They have protections against such conflicts, if they learn of them, and I assume the judge should have recused himself and could be disciplined.

7 minutes ago, bludog said:

Sad but true. I did leave a nasty message for him with his secretary to which he never replied. It felt good to insult him. I think he was afraid of me. 

After he made his ruling the whole courtroom let out a spontaneous gasp in my favor. 

My wife, who was with me was in a wheelchair on oxygen at the time.

7 minutes ago, Craig234 said:

There are places to file such complaints. I'm not sure what all of them are, but one is the bar association - I think there are more in the case of judges.

They have protections against such conflicts, if they learn of them, and I assume the judge should have recused himself and could be disciplined.

The original judge in the case was a liberal black man.  The bad judge was the chief judge at the time and replaced him with himself.

Quite blatant. 

Who knows? I could have ended up at the morgue.

1 minute ago, GorgeousGeorge said:

The original judge in the case was a liberal black man.  The bad judge was the chief judge at the time and replaced him with himself.

Quite blatant. 

Who knows? I could have ended up at the morgue.

Yeesh. But even chief judges have superiors. The state attorney general might be interested, and a lawyer could advise.