I'm Canadian. I have free health care (pay taxes for it) pay zero for drugs because I'm over 65. I had a heart attack and was treated immediately in 2003, I had cancer in 1994 and was treated immediately, and I broke my wrist in 2002 and waited for several hours in the hospital waiting area.  I draw two government pensions totaling over 1800.00 a month, and I have my company pension earned over 35 years of service. I'm lucky, very lucky to live in the greatest country on earth. We Canadians don't brag much, we are polite, and we are the worlds super power of Hockey.  

I cant resist a bit of bragging though after reading the drivel coming out of some of you. 

We Canadians have the finest health care system in the world. On the other hand you people in the USA have nothing. Get sick and if you cant afford health insurance premiums you DIE !!! If you have insurance the Insurance company decides if you get treatment.

You have cheap gas, cheap (watered down) beer,  cheap (gut-rot) whisky, a $ 700 billion dollar military budget, schools that cant even operate for 5 days a week due to budget cuts, police that murder people because of their colour, and the list goes on and on and on. The land of the brave and home of the free....how sad you are.

Your points are very true, my country is a great country also  , right now we are under the control of a hate group that years back was call the republican party. They exist for 1% of the population and have conned enough people to get their hate candidates elected. They care  nothing about the workers in this country, they are perceived as the enemy to them. Business has had its highest profits in history from all the new wealth of the wealthiest country in the world , but we have a party who is threatening the capitalistic system here by taking away the one thing that makes capitalism work and that is the possibility of getting ahead by hard work. Since Reagan's trickle down lie nothing but pennies of this massive increase in wealth have gone to anyone except the top few wealthiest people in this country. But they would kill the golden goose so they can have it all.

The biggest threat and enemy of this country is sitting in the white house as we speak.  The patriots in this country are hoping for a nice long jail sentence for this criminal. That gets closer every day.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:56 PM, jbander said:

Your points are very true, my country is a great country also  , right now we are under the control of a hate group that years back was call the republican party. They exist for 1% of the population and have conned enough people to get their hate candidates elected. They care  nothing about the workers in this country, they are perceived as the enemy to them. Business has had its highest profits in history from all the new wealth of the wealthiest country in the world , but we have a party who is threatening the capitalistic system here by taking away the one thing that makes capitalism work and that is the possibility of getting ahead by hard work. Since Reagan's trickle down lie nothing but pennies of this massive increase in wealth have gone to anyone except the top few wealthiest people in this country. But they would kill the golden goose so they can have it all.

The biggest threat and enemy of this country is sitting in the white house as we speak.  The patriots in this country are hoping for a nice long jail sentence for this criminal. That gets closer every day.

jbander,

I agree with all of your points and I do hope you elect a man like Bernie Sanders, a man who will do something for the working man, who agrees that universal health care is a basic human right.

Good luck.

On 6/10/2018 at 5:57 PM, GorgeousGeorge said:

I agree with all of the post so far. Canada is awesome.

I'm from there.

There's nothing perfect in the world.

I lived there for 40 years and in Florida for 21. Both places have advantages and drawbacks.

Canada is much better for poor people. My parents were dirt-poor Holocaust refugees who arrived there in 1951. They loved Canada, for the opportunity to work their asses off, never take a vacation and eventually buy a house with an extra flat they could also rent out. I'm grateful that my university education was basically free. (Not entirely free, but really really inexpensive. Embarrassingly inexpensive.)

The United States is somewhat better for families earning more than $100K / year, but it's really a lot better for people earning over a million $/year.

In Canada you can make a few stupid mistakes and still be ok. In the US, stupid mistakes will sometimes leave you in a very bad situation.

In Canada, much of the year is cold, around 8 months. Florida is often too hot, but I like it like that.

A lot of Canada's problems come from conflict between people speaking two national languages. That has abated recently.

In the US a lot of problems come from the legacy of slavery. That seems to have gotten worse recently.

Canada is better on three fronts: cost of education, availability of health care for more people, and gun regulation. Canada is better at standardizing in the public sector.

The United States is better at rewarding achievement (at the expense of devaluing those who don't achieve much). That causes more effort and achievement from people on average. The US is better at standardizing and selling stuff in the private sector.

In Florida, my taxes are low (which they would also be in Alberta) and the weather is warm. But there's always the threat of hurricanes. On the other hand, I won't slip and fall on black ice. (That actually happened to me on Jan 4,1994 in Montreal. I fell down a flight of icy stairs and put my back out. I missed 4 days of work.)