rippy38

Anybody make their own beef jerky?

If so, what cuts of beef to you find work best?

I have a London Broil sliced and marinating in my favorite hot teriyaki mix as I type.

Drying tomorrow! 

Jerky cows?

Seriously, when you make jerky, you need to read up on meat preservation. Learn about curing salts, so you don't poison yourself.

And for fun:

1608144.jpg

17 hours ago, laripu said:

Jerky cows?

Seriously, when you make jerky, you need to read up on meat preservation. Learn about curing salts, so you don't poison yourself.

And for fun:

1608144.jpg

I'll second that on the nitrates. I've been making my own jerky for years.

3 hours ago, rippy38 said:

I'll second that on the nitrates. I've been making my own jerky for years.

I don't make jerky, but I do make fresh sausage, and freeze it. Mostly pork and chicken, but sometimes beef+ chicken. Because I freeze, I usually don't use nitrates or nitrites.

But I plan on eventually making pastrami; maybe even using pastrami technique on pork shoulder. I already have the necessary salts.

1 hour ago, laripu said:

I don't make jerky, but I do make fresh sausage, and freeze it. Mostly pork and chicken, but sometimes beef+ chicken. Because I freeze, I usually don't use nitrates or nitrites.

But I plan on eventually making pastrami; maybe even using pastrami technique on pork shoulder. I already have the necessary salts.

The curing salt I use only has a trace amount of nitrate, and a little goes a long way in a wet marinade. I usually only use about a 1/4 teaspoon per lb of fresh meat, added to the other spices and liquid. Any more than that and it gets too salty. I dry @ 165 degrees for 3-4 hours and then give it a run in the oven @ 250 degrees for about 10 minutes immediately out of the dryer. I've been using this method for years and have had no issues. 

I love some good fresh homemade sausage too, but haven't attempted making any myself. 

26 minutes ago, rippy38 said:

I love some good fresh homemade sausage too, but haven't attempted making any myself. 

Here are the secrets:

1. Meat with sufficient fat, at least 25%.

2. Salt, about 1.8% by weight. Light on all other spices. (Get a good little scale. Cheap, from China.)

3. The meat must be always just above freezing, then squish squish squish till it gets shiny and sticky. (Your fingers will hurt from the cold. Do it in stages, returning the meat to the freezer.) Shiny and sticky means it's sausage-ified.

4. Wash casings very thoroughly.

Explore this, it has everything you need to know, and then some:

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-making

11 minutes ago, laripu said:

Here are the secrets:

1. Meat with sufficient fat, at least 25%.

2. Salt, about 1.8% by weight. Light on all other spices. (Get a good little scale. Cheap, from China.)

3. The meat must be always just above freezing, then squish squish squish till it gets shiny and sticky. (Your fingers will hurt from the cold. Do it in stages, returning the meat to the freezer.) Shiny and sticky means it's sausage-ified.

4. Wash casings very thoroughly.

Explore this, it has everything you need to know, and then some:

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-making

Thanks for the info. It doesn't sound too intimidating.

I'll probably have a harder time convincing my wife that I need room in the kitchen for a meat grinder and a casing stuffer, than I will trying my hand at sausage making.

lol

54 minutes ago, rippy38 said:

I'll probably have a harder time convincing my wife that I need room in the kitchen for a meat grinder and a casing stuffer, than I will trying my hand at sausage making.

For your meat grinder, I use the attachment to my wife's kitchenaid mixer.

I did buy a stuffer. (Don't stuff sausage from the mixer attachment ... big mistake. I tried it once.) This is the stuffer I bought. It works well.

I store it with my homebrew stuff. No complaints from the spousal unit, and she likes my sausage. ;):D