Wildfire

Confessions of an Economic Hitman

This book was written by John Perkins. He worked for multi-national corporations for many years. He would help the big corps exploit third world countries---steal their natural resources and mineral wealth. This book helps explain why the third world countries are so poor and disadvantaged. Nobody will not be so quick to call them "Bad wordholes"  after reading Mr. Perkins book.

Thankfully, Mr. Perkins no longer works for these corporations and is trying to help the poor,, third world countries and the people in them. I wish him Godspeed.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:59 PM, Wildfire said:

This book was written by John Perkins. He worked for multi-national corporations for many years. He would help the big corps exploit third world countries---steal their natural resources and mineral wealth. This book helps explain why the third world countries are so poor and disadvantaged. Nobody will not be so quick to call them "Bad wordholes"  after reading Mr. Perkins book.

Thankfully, Mr. Perkins no longer works for these corporations and is trying to help the poor,, third world countries and the people in them. I wish him Godspeed.

Indeed! Me too.

To be clear, Perkins didn't work for the companies doing the pillaging, he worked for a company that got the deals in place for companies to do the pillaging.

The US would want to get a country to spend its wealth on projects done by US companies, often causing bankrupting debt. It was a way of taking the country's fortune, under the guise that it was the country's choice to make an 'investment'. Who can argue with building roads and infrastructure?

But of course as these huge amounts of money tend to be involved in, the whole thing was pretty corrupt, and the companies made a fortune. The thing was to get the country to agree to such a deal that would so often be bad for its people.

Part of getting that deal was for Perkins' team to create an economic case that the deal would be good for the country - not accurate. But it gave the leader cover.

Perkins' book talks about how this was sold - money would be given to the leader to buy them off. If that didn't work and they said no, there were a series of ways to pressure them, from funding political opposition to overthrowing and replacing the leader to assassinating them to the biggest option of military intervention.

I've always had the feeling Perkins wasn't just writing literal history, but might be polishing it a bit to make the points clearly, but I don't know. It's great info though.

General Smedley Butler...highly decorated marine.

“I spent thirty-three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.”  

LOL.  Things never change.....MURICA!!!!!