How Wobbly Is Our Democracy?

To function well, democratic constitutions must be reinforced by two basic norms, or unwritten rules. The first is mutual toleration, according to which politicians accept their opponents as legitimate. When mutual toleration exists, we recognize that our partisan rivals are loyal citizens who love our country just as we do.

The second norm is forbearance, or self-restraint in the exercise of power. Forbearance is the act of not exercising a legal right. In politics, it means not deploying one’s institutional prerogatives to the hilt, even if it’s legal to do so.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/27/opinion/sunday/democracy-polarization.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

Self-restraint is exactly what Trump does not do. This is the weakness in our democracy--if no one stops this, Trump will be a dictator.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"Consider what American presidents could legally do under the Constitution. They could pardon anyone they want, whenever they want, undercutting congressional and judicial oversight.

They could pack the courts. With a congressional majority, a president facing an unfriendly Supreme Court could expand it to 11 or 13 and fill the new seats with allies."

9 minutes ago, untitled said:

It's in the text I posted. Do you know how to read?

Sure I know how to read..

I remember the day I had to show you that Bush didn't attack Iraq before Afgah like you said he did

4 hours ago, untitled said:

They could pack the courts. With a congressional majority, a president facing an unfriendly Supreme Court could expand it to 11 or 13 and fill the new seats with allies.

Like ... uh ... FDR (your side's hero) actually tried to do?

24 minutes ago, BeAChooser said:

Like ... uh ... FDR (your side's hero) actually tried to do?

Yes, as the article states.

"There were instances of executive overreach (Franklin Roosevelt, Richard Nixon), but the most egregious abuses were checked by Congress and the courts."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/27/opinion/sunday/democracy-polarization.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

4 hours ago, untitled said:

To function well, democratic constitutions must be reinforced by two basic norms, or unwritten rules. The first is mutual toleration, according to which politicians accept their opponents as legitimate. When mutual toleration exists, we recognize that our partisan rivals are loyal citizens who love our country just as we do.

The second norm is forbearance, or self-restraint in the exercise of power. Forbearance is the act of not exercising a legal right. In politics, it means not deploying one’s institutional prerogatives to the hilt, even if it’s legal to do so.

Self-restraint is exactly what Trump does not do. This is the weakness in our democracy--if no one stops this, Trump will be a dictator.

It's too bad this ^^ nimwit doesn't understand it's the left who is intolerant, and doesn't accept their opponents as legitimate. 

Oh, and self-restraint in exercising power?  You mean like using the IRS against you political opponents, or perhaps the DoJ and FBI to fix an election?

It's sad you dropped out of school and never learned what "irony" meant. 

Maybe you are stupid? Others have responded and I replied to them.

Yeah, it's always the fault of the readers when multiple readers call the writer out on his inability to communicate a message.  I'm just too stupid, I guess.

2 minutes ago, Skans said:

Learn to write.  Or, die.

Learn to understand self evident kinetic motion rather than spending all your time getting educated on how to believe real doesn't count naturally occupying the moment simultaneously here.

You ever hear of the old saying about the larger the reality the harder it falls when its people lose faith in possibilities.