Chuck Shummer being played

sandoval10

This was Chuck Schumer’s first test as the Senate Democratic leader and he very clearly got played.

He folded when his hand was strong and had all the polls and public opinion on the Dems side.  How can we be played again and trust those in the Republican leadership, starting with the liar in chief?  Just minutes after Senator Schumer announces his great compromise; the Republicans were quick to label him a loser and weak.  He should have known better.  The Republican house said it’s dead in the water without everything they want.   Very disappointed.

The question I have is whether Schumer had the votes to refuse. We know that several Democratic Senators, and more kept getting added, were willing to vote with Republicans on this.

If he realized he didn't have the votes - and more Senators were likely to tell him this privately to let him not look bad - then he did what was needed to avoid looking even worse.

And the problem with that is that some Democratic politicians are 'conservative' - the Joe Manchins, the Jon Testers, and others. Just as when the ACA passed and not all Democrats supported it and some had to be 'paid off' and we didn't have the votes to do better like the public option or single-payer.

So that's the need to not only elect more Democrats, but more progressive Democrats.

11 hours ago, Zaro said:

You trust Schumer? Or Nancy for that matter?

Both, by choice, are Democrats, not Republicans.  That is powerful evidence that they support egalitarianism.  However, unlike some other Democrats, both take legal bribes from powerful interests, at least partly, so they can keep getting elected.  If they want these bribes to keep coming, they are obliged to vote for their employers and against their constituents. Since most corporate interests don't conflict with egalitarian social legislation, both Schumer and Pelosi are socially liberal.  But, because most corporate concerns are for the growth of Plutocracy, they are forced to vote in keeping with their financial benefactors.

That makes them Neoliberals.   They can be trusted to vote Liberal on social legislation, (racial equality, gay rights etc.) but they can't be trusted to vote for economic justice.

1 hour ago, bludog said:

They can be trusted to vote Liberal on social legislation, (racial equality, gay rights etc.) but they can't be trusted to vote for economic justice.

:D

Like I said, more than any Republican politician. Less than I trust my wife.

But I guess your reply was better for people who don't know my wife. :lol:

On 1/24/2018 at 10:30 PM, sandoval10 said:

This was Chuck Schumer’s first test as the Senate Democratic leader and he very clearly got played.

He folded when his hand was strong and had all the polls and public opinion on the Dems side.  How can we be played again and trust those in the Republican leadership, starting with the liar in chief?  Just minutes after Senator Schumer announces his great compromise; the Republicans were quick to label him a loser and weak.  He should have known better.  The Republican house said it’s dead in the water without everything they want.   Very disappointed.

I have a slightly different take on it. It's estimated that it will take at least 20 years and least $70 billion (not counting legal fees and land acquisition) to build the wall, by which time Trump and the traitor Republicans will be long gone. In other words, it's not going to be built, ever, and even if it is, the next generation is going to tear it down brick by brick. So let him have it--trade it for stuff you CAN get. 

Joe III said it correctly, "If you build it, we will tear it down!"

The meager debt, the illustrations have all been passed upon the populace with warnings, fear, a perpetuation of indifference, poor people are already poor. 

The system is rigged towards those at the top of the economic scale and this is not new news. I would like anybody hope for a focused slow growth that would

eventually be factually based, and much less hidden like a lot of people whose lives do not seem to count are right now.

Peace!