Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

untitled

Is There Something Wrong With Democracy?

Recommended Posts

After 200 years of expansion, democracy’s growth in the world has stalled. A handful of democracies like Venezuela and Hungary are backsliding into authoritarianism. And even in established Western democracies, voters are losing faith in democratic institutions and norms.

 

 

Are the oldest and sturdiest democracies, like those of Europe and the United States, really as safe as they seem? And why would people voluntarily dismantle their own democracy from within?

 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/24/world/is-there-something-wrong-with-democracy.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is something wrong with democracy if the president can use the office for personal and financial gain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.

 

The basic flaw in democracy is that lower income people greatly outnumber affluent people and they will use that power to vote themselves bread and circus out of the public treasure.  All democratic government eventually degenerate into socialist states.  Democracies lack sufficient safeguards for individual economic rights and the more widespread the franchise the more advanced the problem.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, untitled said:

There is something wrong with democracy if the president can use the office for personal and financial gain.

The more systemic problem is the people using their vote for personal financial gain.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, untitled said:

After 200 years of expansion, democracy’s growth in the world has stalled. A handful of democracies like Venezuela and Hungary are backsliding into authoritarianism. And even in established Western democracies, voters are losing faith in democratic institutions and norms.

 

 

Are the oldest and sturdiest democracies, like those of Europe and the United States, really as safe as they seem? And why would people voluntarily dismantle their own democracy from within?

 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/24/world/is-there-something-wrong-with-democracy.html

Interesting that liberals would wonder why countries like Venezuela would "backslide" after cheering Hugo Chavez as he became dictator, and his successor Maduro who has ravaged that country.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RHanson said:

Yes.

 

The basic flaw in democracy is that lower income people greatly outnumber affluent people and they will use that power to vote themselves bread and circus out of the public treasure.  All democratic government eventually degenerate into socialist states.  Democracies lack sufficient safeguards for individual economic rights and the more widespread the franchise the more advanced the problem.

 

 

 

 

Any historical evidence for that claim? I've never seen any. Post it and let's discuss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RHanson said:

The more systemic problem is the people using their vote for personal financial gain.

 

 

 

Please explain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, untitled said:

There is something wrong with democracy if the president can use the office for personal and financial gain.

rolling.gif   This idiot is trying to compare Trump to Maduro.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Golfboy said:

Interesting that liberals would wonder why countries like Venezuela would "backslide" after cheering Hugo Chavez as he became dictator, 

 

It's more than "interesting" ... it's illuminating.   B) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, untitled said:

After 200 years of expansion, democracy’s growth in the world has stalled. A handful of democracies like Venezuela and Hungary are backsliding into authoritarianism. And even in established Western democracies, voters are losing faith in democratic institutions and norms.

 

 

Are the oldest and sturdiest democracies, like those of Europe and the United States, really as safe as they seem? And why would people voluntarily dismantle their own democracy from within?

 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/24/world/is-there-something-wrong-with-democracy.html

Democratic Representative Republic is not an actual democracy as reflective of ancient Greek philosophies that a the time were spiritualists of many supernatural entities same as Egyptians, Romans, Vikings, Eastern Philosophies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, untitled said:

And even in established Western democracies, voters are losing faith in democratic institutions and norms.

 

forehead-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif

Yeah...that's the problem...they're losing faith.

 

nascar-16.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&w=64

 

nascar-8.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&w=641

 

DrunkCubs.jpg

 

61b8f26a4cd3f786580f0688fb8188e1.jpg

 

Nascar.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TRUST BAROMETER-finds Americas Institutions in 2017 37% less trusted around the World

 

 

bush/cheney.. then this POS....what can you expect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, benson13 said:

TRUST BAROMETER-finds Americas Institutions in 2017 37% less trusted around the World

 

 

bush/cheney then this POS....what can you expect

 

Our democracy has been corrupted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, RHanson said:

Yes.

 

The basic flaw in democracy is that lower income people greatly outnumber affluent people and they will use that power to vote themselves bread and circus out of the public treasure.  All democratic government eventually degenerate into socialist states.  Democracies lack sufficient safeguards for individual economic rights and the more widespread the franchise the more advanced the problem.

 

 

 

All of that is 100 percent truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, untitled said:

 

Our democracy has been corrupted.

You are corrupting the self evident in believing eternal separation of lifetimes comes from something outside the moment here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, untitled said:

Our democracy has been corrupted.

Yea, it was corrupted by liberals in charge of the DoJ and FBI, who thought they cold overturn an election.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kfools said:

All of that is 100 percent truth.

 

Yet neither of you can cite a single example of it happening. Go figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lower income people

 

rednecks in the red states SUCKING the Blue States DRY....and have been since 1865

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, untitled said:

 

Any historical evidence for that claim? I've never seen any. Post it and let's discuss.

The minimum wage. Perfect example. In fact all entitlement are a perfect example of this truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kfools said:

The minimum wage. Perfect example. In fact all entitlement are a perfect example of this truth.

 

Are you against all labor laws? Work place safety laws? 

 

And you do know Social Security is an insurance program, not an "entitlement."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, benson13 said:

lower income people

 

rednecks in the red states SUCKING the Blue States DRY....and have been since 1865

LOL, A progressive who doesn't like the progressive tax system, go figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, untitled said:

There is something wrong with democracy if the president can use the office for personal and financial gain.

Whose doing that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No holds barred chat

You don't have permission to chat in this chatroom
×
×
  • Create New...