I read (listened to, actually), Kim Robinson's "New York 2140".

It is well written, and a realistic view of what will happen to coastal cities if the icecaps melt. Since we're being stoopid about climate change and not doing enough to slow or stop it, this could very well happen. I like the writing. The characters are multidimensional, interesting, and easy to care about. It's actually kind of a hopeful story - it assumes that civilization continues,that people have finally figured out how to use renewable energy sources to power everyday needs, that democracy lives in the USA (it's capital is on high ground in Denver - of course).

I recommend the book as a read or a listen. It's long, but really engaging. Has anyone else checked it out?

On 12/30/2017 at 7:58 PM, mjk said:

I read (listened to, actually), Kim Robinson's "New York 2140".

Thanks for the link and concise review.  I am downloading it to my Nook.

Yes, Robinson does a good job - he's thought through a lot of the technologies needed to make keeping ahead of high-density urban flooding possible.  I liked his asides on NYC history & local lore.  You can see the same degree of careful working-out of detail in his Mars trilogy.  I liked the book, I keep an eye out for his work - they tend to be longish, & I tend to want to read longer works.  That gives me a chance to digest Ideas @ my pace, & take notes.