Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Craig234

Ted Cruz

I think more informed liberals are of the same opinion I have about Republicans being all about plutocracy, and con men (any gender) who sing and dance for votes.

And that people often think trump is sort of ruining the con, by being so offensive that it's exposing the con job and alienating the suckers.

But I'm a little bit interested in asking if Ted Cruz isn't sort of the same thing and why he isn't viewed the same as much.

He's  Harvard Law person, so he's not an idiot - so what's he about, as he speaks like an idiot and advocates the usual nihilistic libertarian evil?

I can only assume his motivations are the usual - plutocrat knowingly conning the suckers, but taking an especial disgusting glee in doing so. A face of evil.

But isn't he, like trump, so over the top in his idiocy that it should expose the scam? Why doesn't it? Some quotes:

"I think President Obama is the most radical president this nation's ever seen. And in particular, I think he is a true believer in government control of the economy and of our everyday lives. In my judgment, we are facing what I consider to be the epic battle of our generation, quite literally the battle over whether we remain a free market nation."

"I do think in the media there is a tendency to describe conservatives as one of two things: stupid or evil. And those are the two categories that every conservative gets put in by Democrats and the media. A conservative is either stupid — too dumb to know the right answer — and even worse, if they actually know the right answer, then they’re evil. They want people to suffer. I suppose I feel mildly complimented in that they have recently invented a third category, which is crazy. It’s the alternative to stupid or evil. And now crazy is the third one, because it seems inconceivable that there could be Americans who believe in free-market principles and believe in the Constitution and are working to defend them."

"If we got out of Washington, D.C., if we went to the American people and said what are your top priorities--we actually have. We don't have to hypothesize about that. The American people over and over again say jobs and the economy are their top priorities. The American people want ObamaCare stopped because it is not working, it is killing jobs, it is pushing people into part-time work. Yet this Senate has not been listening to the American people. "

"God’s blessing has been on America from the very beginning of this nation, and I believe God isn’t done with America yet. I believe in you. I believe in the power of millions of courageous conservatives rising up to reignite the promise of America, and that is why today I am announcing that I’m running for president of the United States. It is a time for truth. It is a time for liberty. It is a time to reclaim the Constitution of the United States."

"Today, the global warming alarmists are the equivalent of the flat-Earthers. It used to be [that] it is accepted scientific wisdom the Earth is flat, and this heretic named Galileo was branded a denier."

From my understanding, Ted Cruz is the number one suspect in the Zodiac Killings, in California. He most likely did these murders. I never liked the look of that guy. He looks like a shyster to me. My sister can't stand him.

4 hours ago, KidTwist said:

From my understanding, Ted Cruz is the number one suspect in the Zodiac Killings, in California. He most likely did these murders

Cruz is a shameless liar, constantly claiming to be on the side of the constituents who voted for him.  But consistently voting against their interests, in favor of plutocrats.  Many find him to be a reprehensible sociopath.  It's hard to conceive how he gets enough votes to win office.

But seriously ...  Ted Cruz committed the Zodiac killings?   Cruz was born in 1970 and the Zodiac killings occurred from the 1960s trough the early 70s, in Northern California

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac_Killer

Cruz as the Zodiac killer is right up there with conspiracy theories like Bill and Hillary Clinton being responsible for the death of Vince Foster.

I never liked the look of that guy. He looks like a shyster to me. My sister can't stand him.

The bottom line is, politicians SHOULD be judged mainly by how they vote on the issues because that is what shapes how the nation works for its citizens.  But then there are those ineffable qualities of leadership and charisma.  The type of politician who is attractive in one region of the country might be a turnoff in another.  That may partially explain why Cruz got elected in Texas.

kidtwist, thanks for bumping this, but I suggest you check things a bit more before posting a claim like that. As bludog, said, it's an absurd one.

bludog, I think we overrate the 'merits' of candidates when discussing voting.

We're getting to a point where the 'merits' are a lot less important than the systemic issues, of who gets the media attention, the branding of 'Repulbican' or 'conservative', the big money and media behind making those powerful forces. And then we try to explain why people 'liked' someone like Cruz that might not be at all accurate about why he won.

A good example to me of this was the special election for governor in Cailfornia, when 108 candidates ran, including Arnold Schwarzeneggar. Many would be a better pick than him, a varity of liberals, well-informed experts, and others. But practically, what would it take for any one of them to get the media attention and voter awareness Schwarzeneggar had?

Practically, it wasn't going to happen - the only thing Schwarzeneggar was likely to love for was if he did something that alienated voters, and he didn't really (his scandal about sleeping with a maid that broke up his marriage came out later, and it's unclear whether it would have mattered).

It didn't mean we had to look at his statements and policies and say why he got votes about those - that's not what happened. Most voters couldn't name one.

3 hours ago, Craig234 said:

We're getting to a point where the 'merits' are a lot less important than the systemic issues, of who gets the media attention, the branding of 'Repulbican' or 'conservative', the big money and media behind making those powerful forces. And then we try to explain why people 'liked' someone like Cruz that might not be at all accurate about why he won.

Media coverage is of the utmost importance.  The problem, as I see it is that most of the media equates politics with entertainment.  To get the best ratings, they prefer to focus on gossip, campaign strategies and personal attacks.  Most media channels are not interested in what the people need to know, but rather, what gets ratings.   One of the key things people SHOULD have an idea of, is voting records of candidates.  Of course most don't. 

This thread started about Ted Cruz, he is an obvious example.  He talks as if he cared about the interests of his constituency, but votes against them and for plutocracy.  It's probably safe to say very few, who voted for him are aware of his voting record.  They were taken in by his rhetoric.

If people knew more about how Cruz voted as senator, There's a good chance he would be voted out.  It is up to Cruz' political opponents to make his voting record better known.

https://votesmart.org/candidate/evaluations/135705/ted-cruz#.WlFv2jdG02w

1 hour ago, bludog said:

Media coverage is of the utmost importance. 

Any resource important to winning elections that's in the hands of a few, breaks democracy. What we need is for media and campaigns to be more publicly financed and equal.

10 hours ago, KidTwist said:

From my understanding, Ted Cruz is the number one suspect in the Zodiac Killings, in California. He most likely did these murders. I never liked the look of that guy. He looks like a shyster to me. My sister can't stand him.

Oh PUHLEEESE.  I was in California during those murders, he wasn’t alive.  Get a grip.

9 minutes ago, Craig234 said:

Any resource important to winning elections that's in the hands of a few, breaks democracy. What we need is for media and campaigns to be more publicly financed and equal.

Are we all so stupid that we believe the ads?

Just now, TruroBeth said:

Are we all so stupid that we believe the ads?

That's like asking, do you buy Coke just because you see their logo at sports events? Advertising is powerful and it works even though no one admits they are influenced.

3 minutes ago, Craig234 said:

That's like asking, do you buy Coke just because you see their logo at sports events? Advertising is powerful and it works even though no one admits they are influenced.

No, I do not buy Coke because of their advertising, or anything else.  I just do not understand the theory that throwing millions at a jackass makes it Secretariat.

2 hours ago, bludog said:

Media coverage is of the utmost importance.  The problem, as I see it is that most of the media equates politics with entertainment.  To get the best ratings, they prefer to focus on gossip, campaign strategies and personal attacks.  Most media channels are not interested in what the people need to know, but rather, what gets ratings.   One of the key things people SHOULD have an idea of, is voting records of candidates.  Of course most don't. 

This thread started about Ted Cruz, he is an obvious example.  He talks as if he cared about the interests of his constituency, but votes against them and for plutocracy.  It's probably safe to say very few, who voted for him are aware of his voting record.  They were taken in by his rhetoric.

If people knew more about how Cruz voted as senator, There's a good chance he would be voted out.  It is up to Cruz' political opponents to make his voting record better known.

https://votesmart.org/candidate/evaluations/135705/ted-cruz#.WlFv2jdG02w

I don’t think voting records matter anymore.  It’s a liberal vs. conservative thing, with the biggest kicker being abortion.

33 minutes ago, TruroBeth said:

I don’t think voting records matter anymore.  It’s a liberal vs. conservative thing, with the biggest kicker being abortion.

There are plenty of Democratic members of congress who claim to support their constituents while voting for plutocracy.  People like Joe Biden, who talks a great game for the people but when it comes to his voting record, not so much.  How lawmakers vote shapes how our entire system works.  It is important that it be made public.

That said, as long as people keep themselves ignorant, with no help from the media, everything gets simplified to us Vs them;   As Corporations/Plutocrats go on paying legalized bribes to elected officials for legislation that shovels the wealth of the nation to the top.

1 hour ago, Craig234 said:

I couldn't agree more.  To that end Campaign Finance Reform would help enormously.

1 hour ago, TruroBeth said:

No, I do not buy Coke because of their advertising, or anything else.  I just do not understand the theory that throwing millions at a jackass makes it Secretariat.

Get back to me when no one buys Coke.

12 hours ago, TruroBeth said:

Oh PUHLEEESE.  I was in California during those murders, he wasn’t alive.  Get a grip.

What were you doing, swimming in Lake Berryessa while Zodiac was doing his thing?

19 hours ago, bludog said:

Cruz is a shameless liar, constantly claiming to be on the side of the constituents who voted for him.  But consistently voting against their interests, in favor of plutocrats.  Many find him to be a reprehensible sociopath.  It's hard to conceive how he gets enough votes to win office.

But seriously ...  Ted Cruz committed the Zodiac killings?   Cruz was born in 1970 and the Zodiac killings occurred from the 1960s trough the early 70s, in Northern California

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac_Killer

Cruz as the Zodiac killer is right up there with conspiracy theories like Bill and Hillary Clinton being responsible for the death of Vince Foster.

The bottom line is, politicians SHOULD be judged mainly by how they vote on the issues because that is what shapes how the nation works for its citizens.  But then there are those ineffable qualities of leadership and charisma.  The type of politician who is attractive in one region of the country might be a turnoff in another.  That may partially explain why Cruz got elected in Texas.

I know all about theZodiac case. I have found the killers identity. Zodiac Killer Site, has all the info about Zodiac. I helped solve the case. The killer has been known to us for over one year.

1 hour ago, KidTwist said:

I know all about theZodiac case. I have found the killers identity. Zodiac Killer Site, has all the info about Zodiac. I helped solve the case. The killer has been known to us for over one year.

By "Zodiac Killer Site", do you mean the wikipedia site you previously posted?   Or are you referring to the forum? (Please do not show a link to the forum.  It is against the rules here)

1 hour ago, KidTwist said:

There is no mention of Ted Cruz.

If they/you know who the killer is, why hasn't there been an indictment?

8 hours ago, bludog said:

By "Zodiac Killer Site", do you mean the wikipedia site you previously posted?   Or are you referring to the forum? (Please do not show a link to the forum.  It is against the rules here)

There is no mention of Ted Cruz.

The guy died in 1977. Of course Ted Cruz isn't Zodiac. He wasn't even born when the Zodiac killings took place.

On 1/6/2018 at 9:28 AM, KidTwist said:

3 minutes ago, KidTwist said:

The guy died in 1977. Of course Ted Cruz isn't Zodiac. He wasn't even born when the Zodiac killings took place.

Thanks for the admission.  I don't blame you and your sister.  I can't stand him either.

I wouldn't underestimate Cruz.  Beto (US House - he's from El Paso) is running against him here in Texas but he is starting from 18 points down.  Great candidate, but it may not be his time yet.  Still it is getting him some attention and may make him a little more known nationally which is probably his goal.  I'd love to see him knock Cruz out, but I will be surprised if it happens.

https://betofortexas.com/ 

Beto is taking his candidacy to the people with no pac money. Perhaps this may mean a change with the people and not big oil, etc. in charge of our state. One can only hope. I also am not sure of those percentages. When and how were they taken?

On 1/7/2018 at 10:25 AM, KidTwist said:

On 1/7/2018 at 12:18 PM, bludog said:

KidTwist is making a an extended joke.

He knows it's a joke, because he is the Zodiac Killer.

Give yourself up to the authorities, KidTwist. They'll go easy on you because you're the biggest liberal.... like what, 7'2"?

1 hour ago, laripu said:

Give yourself up to the authorities, KidTwist. They'll go easy on you because you're the biggest liberal.... like what, 7'2"?

Heh heh.  Stranger things have happened.

4 hours ago, laripu said:

Ok I will, but don't tell anybody I did it.