After Steinle verdict, rep unveils bill to imprison officials who shelter illegal immigrants

After Steinle verdict, rep unveils bill to imprison officials who shelter illegal immigrants

A Republican congressman plans to introduce a bill Monday that would threaten huge fines and prison time for elected officials accused of sheltering illegal immigrant criminals from deportation, in the wake of the not-guilty verdict in the Kate Steinle murder trial. 

Indiana Rep. Todd Rokita’s bill is one of the most aggressive pieces of legislation to date aimed at sanctuary city policies, going beyond the Justice Department’s threat to cut off grants to those jurisdictions. 

“Politicians don’t get to pick and choose what laws to comply with,” Rokita told Fox News. “Americans are dying because politicians sworn to uphold the law refuse to do so.” 

His “Stopping Lawless Actions of Politicians (SLAP) Act” would hold state and local lawmakers criminally responsible for refusing to comply with federal immigration enforcement efforts. The Republican’s bill would subject violators to a $1 million fine and up to five years in prison if they are convicted.

“It’s time the federal government gets serious about enforcing immigration laws and holding politicians accountable who conspire to break them,” said Rokita.

Democrat National Communists are in for it now.

Ha!

Just now, slideman said:

Police departments say they can't adequately police communities where the threat of deportation hangs over those who need to report crimes. The proposed law is anti- police.

Haven't you always heard it's better to steal from a thief if you want to avoid jail?  A thief won't call the police.  Of course, THEIR form of justice may be more severe...but life is about the choices we make and dealing with the consequences of those choices.

As a rule, if you want the protection of law enforcement...live within the law.

2 hours ago, Craig234 said:

I just left a message at his office that I am planning to donate to his opponent in the next election in the primary and general because of this bill.

Be sure to keep that promise.  I just called them to find out how I can contribute to his next election.