The Dumbing Down of America by the L:eft

TBHWT

College Students Not “Comfortable” With Police Using Their Bathrooms
 US News

We swear, every time we think we’ve heard the worst of the campus snowflake stories, we read something that throws us right back into a tailspin of shock and horror. How is it that these young adults actually expect to be able to cope with the real world when they graduate? ARE they going to graduate? Do they even possess the self-determination that will allow them to push themselves through the long nights of studying and the hard work it takes to actually get a college degree? Or are these losers destined to drop out, blame systemic racism for their failures, and join the March for $15 so they can support their families on a Burger King cashier’s salary? We don’t know the answers to those questions, but they’re worth looking into.

The latest travesty comes to us from Brooklyn College, where the Director of Public Safety is asking NYPD officers to use bathrooms far out of the way so that students won’t see them on campus. Why would this matter? Well, the DPS – Donald Wenz – says it comes down to the students feeling uncomfortable about seeing a police presence.

“I know students from every background and across every major,” Wenz said in the student newspaper. “They don’t feel comfortable around cops. It makes safe spaces feel not so safe.”

According to the newspaper, Wenz made his plea to the NYPD after screening the movie “Watched” for students on campus. In the movie, a New York police informant spends time on campus surveilling Muslim students as part of the city’s counterterrorism program. When the screening was finished, students came forward to express their thoughts about whether or not cops should be allowed at Brooklyn College.

“I disagree with them being on campus. Especially allowing them to use the building where student groups are held,” one student said.
Unbelievable. Like, what is happening to these kids? Is this real life? Did they come to college all screwed up in the head already, or is this something their liberal professors have done to them with (undoubtedly biased) films like “Watched”? Whatever the case, we have a deep fear about where all of this is leading.

Because when it comes to “progressives,” it’s always leading somewhere. That’s the whole point. It’s always getting…ahem…better, right? They always want to push it a little further into their imagined, idealistic future utopia. And that means that today’s insanity is tomorrow’s accepted way of things. And then the left edge of the insanity gets a little more insane.
It may seem hard to believe right now, but we’ve got a feeling that these campus liberals are going to get a lot crazier before they come back to reality. That is, if they ever do.

A story in the New York Post was "misleading," according to the school's president.

"Brooklyn College does, in fact, welcome police to use its campus bathrooms. No policy has changed," Anderson said in a statement. "We have always allowed public servants to use our facilities under a neutral policy that applies to police, sanitation workers, traffic enforcement agents, and others who work in the field. Everyone needs to use the bathroom at one time or another."

The statement also said that she met with NYPD leadership to reiterate that they are welcome to use on-campus bathrooms.

A student who wrote the original story told another student newspaper on campus that his article was taken out of context.

"The Excelsior reported a simple story: cops are allowed to use the bathrooms on campus. Nowhere did we write 'BC students hate cops and are triggered by the NYPD,'" Zainab Iqbal told The Kingsman. "The NY Post did that. They made that claim by 'interviewing' two students on campus and 'investigating' one broken bathroom. They failed to recognize that almost every other bathroom is 'broken' one way or another. They had a misleading story… and that's unfair."

https://patch.com/new-york/ditmaspark/brooklyn-college-students-dont-want-police-using-their-bathrooms

Liberalism isn’t dumbing the country down.  That is more associated with the social and religious conservative right wing, which has maligned itself with all things academic, scientific and empirical.

What liberalism has done and continues to do is weave politically indoctrinating elements into science and academics.  That doesn’t make people especially dumb, especially relative to the religious dingbats, it just makes them gullible and easy recruits.

2 minutes ago, Neomalthusian said:

Liberalism isn’t dumbing the country down.  That is more associated with the social and religious conservative right wing, which has maligned itself with all things academic, scientific and empirical.

What liberalism has done and continues to do is weave politically indoctrinating elements into science and academics.  That doesn’t make people especially dumb, especially relative to the religious dingbats, it just makes them gullible and easy recruits.

Can we have some examples, please, re this part?  :)

7 minutes ago, Scout said:

Can we have some examples, please?  :)

Of what?  Weaving politically indoctrinating elements into science and academics?  Look at the composition of all social science departments across the country and the theoretical literature they're putting out.  You can start way back with critical theory, authoritarian personality theory, Critical Race Theory, race, gender and sexuality studies, and carry that forward into today's humanities, social work, and sociology curricula that require recitation of theories on diversity, multiculturalism, white privilege, social justice and oppression.  It's foundational to a modern college degree, i.e. you have to take these very politicized social science courses to leave with a degree.  It's extremely polarized.  Conservatives shunning academia and science altogether though, is only contributing to that problem.

conservative:

: believing in the value of established and traditional practices in politics and society

: not liking or accepting changes or new ideas

liberal:

: believing that government should be active in supporting social and political change

: not opposed to new ideas or ways of behaving that are not traditional or widely accepted

progressive:

: moving forward

: happening or developing gradually over a period of time

: using or interested in new or modern ideas especially in politics and education

http://www.merriam-webster.com/

relaxing-outside-smiley-emoticon.gif

Get on-board....or, outta-the-way, "conservatives".

9 minutes ago, Neomalthusian said:

Of what?  Weaving politically indoctrinating elements into science and academics?  Look at the composition of all social science departments across the country and the theoretical literature they're putting out.  You can start way back with critical theory, authoritarian personality theory, Critical Race Theory, race, gender and sexuality studies, and carry that forward into today's humanities, social work, and sociology curricula that require recitation of theories on diversity, multiculturalism, white privilege, social justice and oppression.  It's foundational to a modern college degree, i.e. you have to take these very politicized social science courses to leave with a degree.  It's extremely polarized.  Conservatives shunning academia and science altogether though, is only contributing to that problem.

I don't think higher education is perfect by any means, but I haven't seen evidence  of this abuse. 

33 minutes ago, Scout said:

I don't think higher education is perfect by any means, but I haven't seen evidence  of this abuse. 

It's not abuse per se, and not endemic to all of higher education, it's more of a culture of political and social indoctrination in the social sciences specifically (a significant amount of which has been made prerequisite to any degree).  If you look at the literature and coursework and composition of these academic fields carefully, you see tons of evidence of confirmation bias in the research and faculty, and straight up politically indoctrinating themes in the curricula.  Success in these areas of study all but requires the political orientation, i.e. you have to accept the ideological framework of inequality, privilege, diversity and social justice, or at least be able to recite it obediently, in order to pass the coursework and leave with a degree in it.  It's deeply political and very very liberal. 

To be a conservative attempting to go through this coursework leads students to be treated as idiots or imposters.  Grades may even suffer as a result.  They are very soft and subjective areas of study, and the literature and studies are plenty often built (subtly, usually) in such a way as to confirm the pre-existing political bias.  Some of this would would inevitable in social sciences even if there were totally equal political representation (which there's isn't, by an extreme , extreme long shot), just because of how subjective you can be with the study designs and interpretations.  But because these fields are overwhelmingly liberal, the problem is more pronounced.  This is where people like Andrew Breitbart really hit a few nails on the head, which lent a great deal of credibility to his viewpoints that he wouldn't otherwise have had.  He articulated cogently at times where a lot of this subtle bias and indoctrination was coming from and that led to a lot of his attention and success.

Going into these fields should be met with some intellectual skepticism.  It's as much a political training ground as it is anything concretely academic.  It's like joining a church.  They will shape your thoughts and the way you perceive the world, gently, assuming you go along with it, or more assertively if you express skepticism and doubt.  You will be trained to skillfully express what ultimately boils down to political opinion as if it were fact.  That's just how it works.

14 minutes ago, Neomalthusian said:

It's not abuse per se, and not endemic to all of higher education, it's more of a culture of political and social indoctrination in the social sciences specifically (a significant amount of which has been made prerequisite to any degree).  If you look at the literature and coursework and composition of these academic fields carefully, you see tons of evidence of confirmation bias in the research and faculty, and straight up politically indoctrinating themes in the curricula.  Success in these areas of study all but requires the political orientation, i.e. you have to accept the ideological framework of inequality, privilege, diversity and social justice, or at least be able to recite it obediently, in order to pass the coursework and leave with a degree in it.  It's deeply political and very very liberal.

Typical.

conservative:

: believing in the value of established and traditional practices in politics and society

: not liking or accepting changes or new ideas

51 minutes ago, Neomalthusian said:

To be a conservative attempting to go through this coursework leads students to be treated as idiots or imposters.  Grades may even suffer as a result.  They are very soft and subjective areas of study, and the literature and studies are plenty often built (subtly, usually) in such a way as to confirm the pre-existing political bias.  Some of this would would inevitable in social sciences even if there were totally equal political representation (which there's isn't, by an extreme , extreme long shot), just because of how subjective you can be with the study designs and interpretations.  But because these fields are overwhelmingly liberal, the problem is more pronounced.  This is where people like Andrew Breitbart really hit a few nails on the head, which lent a great deal of credibility to his viewpoints that he wouldn't otherwise have had.  He articulated cogently at times where a lot of this subtle bias and indoctrination was coming from and that led to a lot of his attention and success.

Going into these fields should be met with some intellectual skepticism.  It's as much a political training ground as it is anything concretely academic.  It's like joining a church.  They will shape your thoughts and the way you perceive the world, gently, assuming you go along with it, or more assertively if you express skepticism and doubt.  You will be trained to skillfully express what ultimately boils down to political opinion as if it were fact.  That's just how it works.

They made similar claims about liberal professors indoctrinating students waaay back when I was in school.  I didn't see it then and I can't really say what goes on now. 

However, I did tutor a friend in an Economics class that she was taking at a Southern Baptist affiliated college; I was shocked at the CONSERVATIVE slant that her instructor was inserting into the subject matter. 

8 minutes ago, Scout said:

They made similar claims about liberal professors indoctrinating students waaay back when I was in school.  I didn't see it then and I can't really say what goes on now. 

However, I did tutor a friend in an Economics class that she was taking at a Southern Baptist affiliated college; I was shocked at the CONSERVATIVE slant that her instructor was inserting into the subject matter. 

Well coming from a Southern Baptist college I'm not surprised.  Economics is actually the most conservative social science out there, both in terms of faculty orientation and its students' opinions, but when I say "most conservative," I really mean least overwhelmingly liberal.  Four out of five economics professors are straight liberal Democrats, it's just that the other social sciences are wildly more so.

"Indoctrination" is a strong accusation, I admit, but it's an echo chamber.  Conservatives and the GOP have denied/shunned/balked for decades, preferring to pander to church-goers.  This contributes to the politicized and polarized situation of liberals all congregating in academic echo chambers and conservatives all congregating in churches.  It's not good for either side.

4 minutes ago, untitled said:

That seems false. What research are you referring to?

How does it "seem false?"  You decide what's true or not based on your feelings?

https://econjwatch.org/file_download/944/LangbertQuainKleinSept2016.pdf?mimetype=pdf

But I guess in a way you're right, it's actually not 4 out of 5, it's 9 out of 10.  Oops.

1 minute ago, Neomalthusian said:

How does it "seem false?"  You decide what's true or not based on your feelings?

https://econjwatch.org/file_download/944/LangbertQuainKleinSept2016.pdf?mimetype=pdf

Shove it. Tired of you stupid righter wingers. Go read your article and post the answer to my question here. Stop being a lazy dope.

By the way, why do feelings frighten you?

NEOMAL:  My studies were in business and math related fields.  Calculus is not the optimal class into which to try to slip political zingers!  :lol:

Business classes can be given a bias, though it was not my experience.  I think political bias in education is greatly exaggerated. 

1 minute ago, Scout said:

NEOMAL:  My studies were in business and math related fields.  Calculus is not the optimal class into which to try to slip political zingers!  :lol:

Business classes can be given a bias, though it was not my experience.  I think political bias in education is greatly exaggerated. 

Depends on the field.  In business and math I agree you're not likely to encounter it much.  Try going back for, say, a master's degree in social work, or a PhD in some area of sociology.

Just now, untitled said:

you're just a typical right wing troll. I know who you are

3 minutes ago, untitled said:

Stop being a lazy dope.

Calling me a "lazy dope" is pretty pathetic coming from someone who said something "seems false," asked for evidence, and then got mad when the evidence was provided.

Just now, Neomalthusian said:

Calling me a "lazy dope" is pretty pathetic coming from someone who said something "seems false," asked for evidence, and then got mad when the evidence was provided.

Any college freshmen knows how to construct an argument. Saying, "here, read this" gets you an 'F.' Stop pretending to be an educated person.

The religious affiliated economics class gave a typical rightwing spin to subjects like taxes and gov't spending. 

My state university classes did not put a liberal spin on economics.  In fact, when Reagan was running for President in 1980, they had a seminar for business-related majors to learn about supply-side economics, Laffer curves, trickle-down, etc.  So quite the opposite of what is insinuated. (....but that was nearly 40 years ago...)