Defeating the idiot strategy

laripu

There are a number of Internet web pages that say that the best predictor of whether someone voted for Trump is education.

I doubt think that's right. I think a better predictor is intelligence. It looks like education since education partially predicts intelligence, but it's not the whole story. I'm sure everyone knows a person without much education that is nevertheless, very smart and didn't vote Trump. Conversely, you probably also know idiots with degrees who voted for Trump. I know both. My father never got past grade 5, but was a very smart man.  My wife never did university, because despite high grades her parents refused to pay for it; and she's smart. I know engineers at work that voted for Trump, and despite degrees, they're pretty dim about everything except engineering.

I thought of this with respect to the arguments in NHB. Over there, smart liberals are arguing with moronic - something - you can't even call them conservatives, because in my mind a conservative is someone like George Will.

What is the moron strategy for dealing with liberal arguments? They insult, choose irrelevant diversions, and do the Internet equivalent of yelling: large fonts and lots of pictures. Presented with facts and logic, they do more of the above, and claim victory. You can't reason with that, because the strategy is the opposite of reason. (And, BTW, it also is and will continue to be Trump's strategy, until the courts force otherwise.)

So here's my advice: I think we ought to completely disengage from NHB. Imagine Bill Clinton debating a zoo monkey flinging poo. Regardless of the merits of Clinton's arguments, who do you think will win? The monkey won't be persuaded and Clinton will be covered in poo.

Disengage, folks. The only weapon is absence.

The positive benefit will be better conversations in here. 

On 11/20/2017 at 3:37 PM, laripu said:

So here's my advice: I think we ought to completely disengage from NHB. Imagine Bill Clinton debating a zoo monkey flinging poo. Regardless of the merits of Clinton's arguments, who do you think will win? The monkey won't be persuaded and Clinton will be covered in poo.

Disengage, folks. The only weapon is absence.

The positive benefit will be better conversations in here. 

You are 100% correct.

Although I have long subscribed to what you have said, experience has shown that most of the Liberal keyboard warriors in NHB, will come here either infrequently or not at all.  Most seem to enjoy answering trash-talk with reasoned arguments.  They appear to thrive on countering LARGE LETTER screaming and HUGE, REPETITIVE images with facts and truth.  Some compete with the Cons by adopting their tactics.

Some of the Libs in NHB opine that a Liberals Only room is unfair, so they would never take part in it.  Others seem to relish the constant conflict, meaningless as it usually gets.  Still, I hope some heed the call.

20 hours ago, bludog said:

Some of the Libs in NHB opine that a Liberals Only room is unfair, so they would never take part in it.

Debating policy with intelligent conservatives is something I'd find interesting. (Think George Will, for example.)

But intelligent conservatives have been abandoning the Republican party. Many in the House and Senate aren't running again. Trump-shame silences them. They don't debate, because mostly they'd have to agree that Trump is a disaster.

What we have left are the dopes, the race-haters, conspiracy theorists, isolationists, anti-government militia,  young-earth creationists, and anti-science morons.

Did I miss any variety of these monkeys? (Apologies to monkeys.)

Edit to add: I'm learning some things from this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_right_(United_States)