How do you think Trump will be impeached?

ChristianLiberal

Many people believe that Trump will be impeached. There's a chance it's only wishful thinking. We do need that bastard out of office as soon as we can but impeaching a president is easier said than done. Just for kicks, in what way do you think Trump will get impeached?

37 minutes ago, JeanMoulin said:

He will never be impeached as long as the Republicans are in power. I also can not see The Pig resign either. Best hope is a patriot takes him out, or a massive heart attack or stroke.

He'll be impeached as soon as it's in the political interests of Republicans for him to be impeached - we're not there and it's not clear what will happen on that.

Just now, Craig234 said:

Homophobic is bad, but I don't think Pence would kill many more gays compared to the horrible Republican agenda.

i was referring to the people who support him and would take matters into their own hands not pence himself sorry for not being clear

49 minutes ago, Craig234 said:

He'll be impeached as soon as it's in the political interests of Republicans for him to be impeached - we're not there and it's not clear what will happen on that.

I think this is correct as long as there's a Republican House.  After the 2018 election, who knows?

Even Republicans can change their minds about viewpoint X if the evidence is overwhelming and promulgating viewpoint X makes them look terrible and hurts them financially (by reducing donations). Evidence for that is that even Sean Hannity has changed his mind about Roy Moore. His advertisers were voting against him with their dollars... so it's time to pivot.

It would be better if Trumpelstiltskin was impeached by a majority of Republicans in a Republican House, because then no-one could say it was a partisan act. What would make that likely? Here are my guesses:

• Incontrovertible evidence made public by Mueller of malfeasance by Trump for financial gain, against the interests of the country.
  • Pee tapes made public, with evidence that Trump was being blackmailed by Russian interests, as documented in Christopher Steele's dossier.
  • Firm evidence of Trump plotting and ordering some sort of criminal political chicanery, in the vein of Nixon.
  • Tax returns made public, proving crimes and showing financial interest from his proposals PLUS criminally hidden offshore money.
  • A proven rape, with a child passing a DNA test showing Trump was the father, where the rape took place within the last 5 years. (Trump DNA obtainable from someone in the White House kitchen staff, or Mar-a-Lago staff. Or secondary DNA obtainable from one of his children.)
  • A woman mistreated: Melania is beaten, shows bad bruises, then files for divorce, and rats him out about everything.
  • Any combination of three of the above with less severity but simultaneously.

Congressional Republicans will not allow Trump to be impeached unless his core base of supporters start to fall away in large numbers.  But Trump's core supporters, it turns out, love him for his personality.  His willingness to fight for himself is seen as anger on their behalf.  Most of his base consider themselves "forgotten Americans".  Many are the children of the Rust Belt.  And they love that he's a rough-hewn outsider, not compliant with the dainty manners of Washington. 

The fact that he has not come through on his promises for them, is not what they consider important.  They love his unabashed racism and xenophobia.  They love his political incorrectness.  The love his condemnation of Black Lives Matter protesters and NFL players  (boy oh boy do they hate kneeling NFL players) whom they see as ungrateful, disrespectful millionaires.

And they love him because, as much as high-fallutin' Washington politicians try to give him shit, he doesn't take any shit off of anybody.

Most of Trump's core supporters listen to Right Wing talk radio and/or watch Fox News.  They have some fairly incredible misconceptions about him:

“Everybody I talk to,” he said, “realizes it’s not Trump who’s dragging his feet. Trump’s probably the most diligent, hardest-working president we’ve ever had in our lifetimes. It’s not like he sleeps in till noon and goes golfing every weekend, like the last president did.”

said one of Trump's base supporters in a dying run-down coal mine town in Pennsylvania.  This despite the actual fact that Trump has shorter working hours and plays more golf, by far, than his predecessor.  Barack Obama is seen as the Antichrist.

With core support like this;  Unresponsive to accomplishments or setbacks and stuck on personality, it's hard to see them falling away.  Most, it seems, will stick to their fighting president, until the end.

But if Trump's core does begin to shrink, Congressional Republicans will turn on him.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/08/donald-trump-johnstown-pennsylvania-supporters-215800

28 minutes ago, laripu said:

It would be better if Trumpelstiltskin was impeached by a majority of Republicans in a Republican House, because then no-one could say it was a partisan act.

We didn't even have a majority of Republicans (on the committee) vote for impeachment in *Watergate*.

2 hours ago, Craig234 said:

We didn't even have a majority of Republicans (on the committee) vote for impeachment in *Watergate*.

There isn't quite enough evidence to support this yet, but I believe that Trump is worse than Nixon.

Nixon broke serious rules and tried to subvert democracy. At least he cared enough about it to try to win at it by cheating. Trump is using his office as a piggy bank. He doesn't care about democracy. As long as he ends up making a killing and stays out of jail, he will have deemed the venture a success. 

1 minute ago, laripu said:

There isn't quite enough evidence to support this yet, but I believe that Trump is worse than Nixon.

Nixon broke serious rules and tried to subvert democracy. At least he cared enough about it to try to win at it by cheating. Trump is using his office as a piggy bank. He doesn't care about democracy. As long as he ends up making a killing and stays out of jail, he will have deemed the venture a success. 

They're both so bad, it's hard to compare. Nixon won by treason and extending the Vietnam war, killing a million people, so that's worse so far.

I will put it this way..if they, the GOP, will not stand together against Moore there is little hope they will impeach Trump. They have the majority now and they will not want to give that up even to do the right thing, if it comes to that.

Saving grace is if charges are filed right before the Nov 2018 elections..tho if we sit on our asses again even that will not matter.