Drum-Roll For SCIENCE!!!!!

November 15, 2017

"Scientists, for the first time, have tried editing a gene inside the body in a bold attempt to permanently change a person's DNA to cure a disease.

The experiment was done Monday in California on 44-year-old Brian Madeux. Through an IV, he received billions of copies of a corrective gene and a genetic tool to cut his DNA in a precise spot.

"It's kind of humbling" to be the first to test this, said Madeux, who has a metabolic disease called Hunter syndrome. "I'm willing to take that risk. Hopefully it will help me and other people."

Signs of whether it's working may come in a month; tests will show for sure in three months.

Protections are in place to help ensure safety, and animal tests were very encouraging, said Dr. Howard Kaufman, a Boston scientist on the National Institutes of Health panel that approved the studies.

He said gene editing's promise is too great to ignore. "So far there's been no evidence that this is going to be dangerous," he said. "Now is not the time to get scared."

On Monday he had the three-hour infusion, surrounded by half a dozen doctors, nurses and others wearing head-to-toe protective garb to lower the risk of giving him any germs. His doctor, Harmatz, spent the night at the hospital to help ensure his patient stayed well.

"I'm nervous and excited," Madeux said as he prepared to leave the hospital. "I've been waiting for this my whole life, something that can potentially cure me."

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2017-11-15/ap-exclusive-us-scientists-try-1st-gene-editing-in-the-body

WOO-HOO-colour-60-c.gif

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 9/22/2018 at 6:43 AM, FivebyFive said:

Perfect Sunday Morning Entertainment..

Thanks Pheonix

Arnav Kapur: What happens is when you're reading or when you're talking to yourself, your brain transmits electrical signals to your vocal cords. You can actually pick these signals up and you can get certain clues as to what the person intends to speak.

Except it's Saturday.   :)