Why we need more independants...

because party X does this - like blood in the water - Party Y jumps on it and uses it against them in efforts to boost themselves.

The next day...

Party Y does this, and lo and behold... Here come the sharks of Party X.

Doesn't it get tiring having to defend something you may not actually agree with, but feel obligated to defend because you've aligned yourself with a party and/or an ideology?

7 minutes ago, jrock2310 said:

because party X does this - like blood in the water - Party Y jumps on it and uses it against them in efforts to boost themselves.

The next day...

Party Y does this, and lo and behold... Here come the sharks of Party X.

Doesn't it get tiring having to defend something you may not actually agree with, but feel obligated to defend because you've aligned yourself with a party and/or an ideology?

I don't do that.  I only defend what I think is just (as best a flawed human can do so).

That said, I am not claiming to have been immune from 'peer pressure' in my youth. 

Of course detractors are everywhere.   I get it all the time.   But I don't carry the burdens of association like either side.  Free thinkers are not bound by ideaology.  

I find that people don't necessarily want to know something, they want to believe something.

No.  I accept that as a member of the Republican Party, I will not agree with everything the party advocates, but I will likely agree with most of it.  I also accept that there will be party members who do things I disagree with and will not defend.  Isn't that the same as with belonging to any group?  I don't believe in isolating myself as an "Independent" just because some day someone in the group I am affiliated with does something I don't like.  I like belonging to groups who have similar beliefs and goals to my own.  I like being a Republican.

1 minute ago, impartialobserver said:

This is why when you really strip an issue down to its core, most balk. You strip the ideology/partisan element out of it and they lose interest. 

That's interesting.   I wonder if there is a study examining issues minus the names and affiliation... If either side would/could feel comfortable drawing any conclusions.

That would be fun.

Just now, jrock2310 said:

That's interesting.   I wonder if there is a study examining issues minus the names and affiliation... If either side would/could feel comfortable drawing any conclusions.

That would be fun.

It would be an interesting study. I am sure that it has been done but I do not have the time to scour  the internet for it. 

3 minutes ago, Skans said:

No.  I accept that as a member of the Republican Party, I will not agree with everything the party advocates, but I will likely agree with most of it.  I also accept that there will be party members who do things I disagree with and will not defend.  Isn't that the same as with belonging to any group?  I don't believe in isolating myself as an "Independent" just because some day someone in the group I am affiliated with does something I don't like.  I like belonging to groups who have similar beliefs and goals to my own.  I like being a Republican.

I don't mean independent as a third party affiliation, like a Jill Stein or anything.  I mean as a lone individual.