The House Tax Bill Is an all out assault on Clean Energy and the middle class.

The House Tax Bill: An All-Out Attack on Clean Energy

Share this action:

Congress is threatening the progress we’ve made on electric vehicles (EVs) and renewable energy. The House tax reform bill is a dangerous blow to growing industries that reduce global warming emissions, clean our air, create jobs, and save consumers money. 

In addition to cutting taxes for the wealthy at the expense of middle class and low-income families, the bill includes energy provisions that are nothing but a blatant handout to the fossil fuel industry.

The bill eliminates the EV tax credit that makes these clean vehicles more affordable to consumers, just when the industry is beginning to reach a scale to compete with gasoline-powered vehicles. It will also limit the ability of clean energy developers to use solar and wind tax credits. 

We can't let Congress stall the progress we’ve made in building a domestic clean energy and transportation economy.

Learn more about the importance of EV incentives and the recent growth of U.S. solar and wind.

Call the Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121. An operator will connect you directly with the congressional representative you request.

TALKING POINTS TO GUIDE YOUR CALL

• Hi, my name is [YOUR FULL NAME] and I'm a constituent from [YOUR TOWN/CITY].
  • I am calling about the shortsighted House tax reform bill and its focus on creating tax breaks for the wealthy while undermining things that benefit everybody, such as clean energy.
  • I strongly oppose eliminating the federal electric vehicle tax credit as part of this bill.
  • =====I want to continue to have access to the $7,500 tax credit for new electric vehicle car buyers, so that EVs become more affordable and automakers continue to drive innovation. =====
  • Although I don't think the electric vehicle tax credit will be necessary forever, we do need it now to continue to make the technology more cost competitive with conventional vehicles.
  • I also would like to express my strong opposition to limiting eligibility for two critical renewable energy credits for wind and solar energy production, the PTC and ITC.
  • These two tax credits are critical to growing our clean energy economy, which has led to new jobs, reliable access to affordable energy sources, new income for rural communities, and has greatly benefited our health and environment. 
  • It is hypocritical to claim we need to lose these tax credits—which offer clean air, new jobs, and benefits to rural economies— when you aren’t cutting things like fossil fuels subsidies and are using the money for a tax cut for the most wealthy.
  • I ask [REPRESENTATIVE] to oppose any cuts to Electric Vehicles Tax Credit, in Section 30 D of the tax code, as well as any changes to the wind and solar production tax credits.
  • Thank you for your time.

2 minutes ago, merrill said:

The House Tax Bill: An All-Out Attack on Clean Energy

I almost feel sorry for these ignorant bitches. 

It's hilarious to watch liberals who scream about Corporate subsidies, lobbying for Corporate Subsidies. 

2 minutes ago, Golfboy said:

It's hilarious to watch liberals who scream about Corporate subsidies, lobbying for Corporate Subsidies. 

I am the taxpayer that likes MY tax dollars coming back to me and my community. 

Whereas the the corporate welfare could well be those working for tax breaks and against better wages for the working class!!!! 

Paradise Papers: Millions of Leaked Docs Reveal Shady Ties & Tax Evasion by Trump’s Inner Circle

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/11/6/paradise_papers_millions_of_leaked_docs

7 minutes ago, Golfboy said:

do liberals have a history of screaming about corporate subsidies that support environmentally responsible corporations attempting to be more so?

7 minutes ago, Golfboy said:

do liberals have a history of screaming about corporate subsidies that support environmentally responsible corporations attempting to be more so?

I think a fair way to handle this is to shift the subsidies from established energy sources, such as Big oils $4 Billion bonus and coal's $2 billion in subsidies to renewable energy sources to get them off the ground. If oil/coal cannot stand on their own two feet after decades of subsidies by now, they should go the way of the dinos.

22 minutes ago, shintao said:

I think a fair way to handle this is to shift the subsidies from established energy sources, such as Big oils $4 Billion bonus and coal's $2 billion in subsidies to renewable energy sources to get them off the ground. If oil/coal cannot stand on their own two feet after decades of subsidies by now, they should go the way of the dinos.

I love watching liberals who scream about corporate subsides, now trying to justify their desire to push corporate subsidies. 

Rule #2:  Liberals are hypocrites. 

6 minutes ago, Golfboy said:

I love watching liberals who scream about corporate subsides, now trying to justify their desire to push corporate subsidies. 

Rule #2:  Liberals are hypocrites. 

This is one example of how ideology (what should be) gets in the way of what is. If you want there to be no subsidies then there can be no exceptions. Subsidizing solar or "clean energy" is no more moral than subsidizing corn farmers in Nebraska (or whatever you can think of). 

Lobbyists lobby for subsidies. Lobbyists  get their employers to donate to campaign funds.

The railroads from Missouri to the Waet Coast would probably not have been completed so rapidly without subsidies from the Feds. WWII could b-not have been won if the development of synthetic rubber had not been subsidized.

It is unwise to subsidize ethanol because it does not conserve oil. It is wise to subsidize hydroelectricity, wind and solar electricity because they do have major benefits.

Some subsidies are needed, others are clearly not needed. We do not need to subsidize coal.

It would be cheaper to simply pay unneeded miners pensions than diddle around with "clean coal".

Deep mine miners are fewer than 50,000 out of 330,000,000.

I will purchase an electric golf cart because for my purposes it is more practical. Should 50 million humans run errands with a golf cart style vehicle it could 

have a lovely impact on global warming correcting the situation rapidly.

However a $7500 credit might get me in the car lot BUTTTTT I like the golf cart concept to a greater degree.

1 hour ago, kfools said:

So as long as it is a corporation you agree with they deserve the subsidy is basically what you are saying. Do you even own an electric car or plan to buy one.....ever?

I certainly would buy an electric car.... and I certainly will install a large solar panel array on my new home.  And, if the corporation is doing things that help the environment rather than hurt it, they will earn my favor.  Is that really so fucking hard for you to understand?

10 hours ago, Golfboy said:

hammer_nail.jpg

Liberalism IS a mental disorder.

kj

4 hours ago, kfools said:

Why don't you own those things right now? What's all this "I would" talk. Why is your energy preference deserving of subsidies and corporate welfare but mine is not....especially when you are not even using the energy you advocate for?

I actually power my home in Mexico almost entirely with the 24 solar panels on my roof.  If there were a car dealership here that sold electric cars and there were an infrastructure in place where I could charge them, I would own one today.  If there are electric cars with the range to travel the distances in Maine that I will want to routinely travel, I  will definitely buy one.  If your corporation promotes technologies that decrease our carbon footprint, I would support them... if they promote technologies that harm our environment, I will not.

9 hours ago, merrill said:

However a $7500 credit might get me in the car lot BUTTTTT I like the golf cart concept to a greater degree.

Let me get this straight.....

On one hand, you're bitching about subsidies,

While your other hand is reaching out for...............subsidies?

hypocrite

noun hyp·o·crite \ ˈhi-pə-ˌkrit 

Definition of hypocrite

1 :a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2 :a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

18 hours ago, merrill said:
Share this action:

What, and allow myself to be used, like the willing idiot you have become, to work for your special interest lobby to advance this tax credit corporate subsidy?? I don't think so. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 

2 minutes ago, SixShooter said:

What, and allow myself to be used, like the willing idiot you have become, to work for your special interest lobby to advance this tax credit corporate subsidy?? I don't think so. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 

these Liberals morons...omg...Did you see the first line  "  Congress is threatening the progress we’ve made on electric vehicles "

WHAT PROGRESS?ROFLMAO

1 minute ago, kfools said:

So stop doing driving you car then.

why would I do that?  I will always take responsible actions to lessen my negative impact on the environment to the extent that I can do so without totally destroying my way of life.

12 minutes ago, maineman said:

why would I do that?  I will always take responsible actions to lessen my negative impact on the environment to the extent that I can do so without totally destroying my way of life.

This is the rationale that control freak shithead libtards like Al Gore use to make themselves feel better, when they take one flight to an international climate change summit and use more fossil fuels than I will in 10 years, while they're preaching to me to reduce my footprint. LMAO :lol:

If you weren't a lying hypocrite, you would put your money where your mouth is and stop driving.

You can shove your sanctimonious hypocrisy up your ass, you liberal punk!

21 hours ago, maineman said:

I certainly would buy an electric car.... and I certainly will install a large solar panel array on my new home.  And, if the corporation is doing things that help the environment rather than hurt it, they will earn my favor.  Is that really so fucking hard for you to understand?

Mercedes is boosting its electric car investments in America and in China, reports Fortune. In the US, it builds the GLE and GLS SUV models and the GLE coupe at a factory near Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Earlier this year, it announced it would spend $1.3 billion to expand and modernize that facility, which built 310,000 vehicles in 2016.

Ford and China will build a $750 Million plant I China to produce electric cars,

Adding AI, self driving, and the world market will change in the next 10 years,

Tesla is the model of the future

33 minutes ago, kfools said:

You use oil products? If so....then yes you are a part of an oil company. Hate oil and companies that produce it? Ok, stop using it! Oh wait....., can't have your quality of life go down even though you literally believe you are contributing to global extermination by doing so. This makes you  a terrible person by the way. 

faux dramatics is not a good schtick for you.  I don't HATE oil in any case.... I just don't support the idea of the government using my tax dollars to improve their bottom line.  I know that as long as I want to go anywhere in this world - in a car or a train or a boat or a plane - I will be using their products.  Every time when I go out to a restaurant in Portland this winter, the temperature of the dining room will probably be warmed with oil heat.  The food will be cooked over a petroleum flame.  That won't cause me to lose any sleep whatsoever.  I may begrudgingly have to USE their stuff, but I can always try to use less, and I can support government subsidies of industries that are working to provide more environmentally friendly options.  I am certainly not a terrible person but your overplaying of this righteous indignation is pretty terribly done.  You look silly.

5 hours ago, kfools said:

Perhaps. Which was the point. You on the other hand look like a hypocrite. You don't want to subsidize the energy you use but the energy you hope you will use one day. Global warming is a threat but you personally do pretty much nothing to stop it. 

I don't hope to use solar power one day...I use it everyday because I walked the walk and installed solar electric and solar hot water systems on the house I live in today.  And the home we are building in Maine will be even MORE tricked out than this one.  What are YOU  doing to reduce your carbon footprint?   Wait... Wait.... Don't tell me.... Let me guess. Jack shit?  Amirite or amirite?

11 hours ago, kfools said:

Nothing at all. I am not the one advocating for it either now am I. 

Tell me is solar cheaper? If so isn't that the REAL motivation for why you use it?

Solar is not in the least bit cheaper until you have fully written down your capital investment.  The payback for solar panels is not short.

And it's nice to know that true troglodytes like you don't give a fuck about carbon dioxide emissions.  

On 11/8/2017 at 11:26 PM, LaughinAtLefty said:

Let me get this straight.....

On one hand, you're bitching about subsidies,

While your other hand is reaching out for...............subsidies?

hypocrite

noun hyp·o·crite \ ˈhi-pə-ˌkrit 

Definition of hypocrite

1 :a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2 :a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

Those tax dollars belong to me why shouldn't I ask for a refund of this sort?