Comey Draft: Hillary email Use Was Grossly Negligent

Congress now wants to know who changed that language, that would have required her arrest.

An early draft of former FBI Director James Comey’s statement closing out the Hillary Clinton email case accused the former secretary of State of having been "grossly negligent” in handling classified information, newly reported memos to Congress show.

The tough language was changed to the much softer accusation that Clinton had been “extremely careless” in her handling of classified information when Comey announced in July 2016 there would be no charges against her.

The change is significant, since federal law states that gross negligence in handling the nation’s intelligence can be punished criminally with prison time or fines.

“There is evidence to support a conclusion that Secretary Clinton, and others, used the email server in a manner that was grossly negligent with respect to the handling of classified information,” reads the statement, one of Comey’s earliest drafts from May 2, 2016.

Those sources said the draft statement was subsequently changed in red-line edits on or around June 10 to conclude that the handling of 110 emails containing classified information that were transmitted by Clinton and her aides over her insecure personal email server was “extremely careless.”

The documents turned over to Congress do not indicate who recommended the key wording changes, the sources said.

The Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday evening sent a letter to current FBI Director Chris Wray demand the FBI identify who made the changes and why.

“Apparently, as of May 2016, then-Director Comey and other FBI officials believed the facts fit that gross negligence standard until later edits were made,” Chairman Chuck Grassley wrote Wray in the letter Monday demanding more information.

While Comey told Congress last year that he would never have prosecuted Clinton without proof she intended to violate a law, the editing of his statement suggests there might have been dissent within the FBI about that decision.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those sources said the draft statement was subsequently changed in red-line edits on or around June 10 to conclude that the handling of 110 emails containing classified information that were transmitted by Clinton and her aides over her insecure personal email server was “extremely careless.”

That sounds like very solid grounds for termination to me, Mr. President. 

"...the editing of his statement suggests there might have been dissent within the FBI about that decision."

I would suggest that the job of the head of the FBI is to listen to dissenting opinions and make the final decision.  I would further suggest that Comey did precisely that.

1 hour ago, harryramar said:

oh look, comey the commie rat fuck democrat traitor, suddenly is credible.

bwahahahhahahahahahaaaa

mwehehehohohohohahahahhahaaaa

Harry are you not concerned about how the DNC is now a joke because of Hillary?

Are you not concerned about what other revelations will be uncovered?

Or more importantly how Americans who voted Democrat have lost faith in the DNC? ....and how it will effect the future of the party? If there is indeed a future?

You can try and minimize the Damage all you want but in the real world all of these revelations are starting to form a picture of corruption and deceit by the DNC and its Partisan supporters like Comey.

4 minutes ago, RollingRock said:

Roflol!  :lol:  Comey's NOT a Democrat, fool.  He's an independent (i.e. not registered under ANY party).

https://www.politico.com/blogs/james-comey-testimony/2016/07/what-party-is-james-comey-registered-as-225223

He worked for Democrats and do you really believe that this will not hurt the DNC , Hillary and how voters will now perceive both?

Keep trying to minimize the damage all you want but it won't work.

2 minutes ago, Whitemajikman said:

He worked for Democrats and do you really believe that this will not hurt the DNC , Hillary and how voters will now perceive both?

People only work for people in their same political parties, eh?  That is one of the silliest statements I've read in here.  :D 

Preaching to the choir!  I left the Democratic party close to two decades ago.  I have many friends who are Democrats, but I despise the DNC organization and am definitely NOT a Hillary fan either.  

However Comey is NOT a partisan.  He worked for all Americans and was eventually railroaded by a paranoid preznit.  

Just now, Scout said:

People only work for people in their same political parties, eh?  That is one of the silliest statements I've read in here.  :D 

Alright.

I think it is silly that you cannot come to terms with the fact that people in general favor other people and in this case comey favored Hillary which shows that he took a side that wasn't independent.

10 minutes ago, Scout said:

FALSE.  There are no grounds for charges unless there is intent and that has nothing to do with it.

lol... please quote the law, and show me "intent" is required. 

Go ahead, I'll wait.    But  you'll never produce anything, because you never do.   How can you when you just make shit like this up?

3 minutes ago, RollingRock said:

Preaching to the choir!  I left the Democratic party close to two decades ago.  I have many friends who are Democrats, but I despise the DNC organization and am definitely NOT a Hillary fan either.  

However Comey is NOT a partisan.  He worked for all Americans and was eventually railroaded by a paranoid preznit.  

Comey took Hillary's side and I think it will all come out as such.

Political favors are the norm at this level of politics..

Alright.

I think it is silly that you cannot come to terms with the fact that people in general favor other people and in this case comey favored Hillary which shows that he took a side that wasn't independent.

utter fabrication from someone trying to change the facts to fit his personal agenda. 

Comey: No evidence that Clinton acted with 'necessary criminal intent'

By NICK GASS

07/07/2016 01:32 PM EDT

FBI Director James Comey declined to comment on Hillary Clinton's assertion that she did not knowingly send or receive emails marked classified, remarking that the bureau's investigation did not find sufficient evidence to establish that she meant to do so.

------------------

Any one with a thimble's full of knowledge on the Clinton investigation would have known this.

3 minutes ago, Scout said:

By NICK GASS

FBI Director James Comey declined to comment on Hillary Clinton's assertion that she did not knowingly send or receive emails marked classified, remarking that the bureau's investigation did not find sufficient evidence to establish that she meant to do so.

------------------

Any one with a thimble's full of knowledge on the Clinton investigation would have known this.

Yes, we KNOW that's what he said.   Your claim was that intent is required for prosecution.

You won't prove that claim, because you can't - it's impossible for you to prove a lie. 

Here is the law, because we both know you're too stupid to find it on your own:   https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/793

(f)  Whoever, being entrusted with or having lawful possession or control of any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, note, or information, relating to the national defense, (1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust, or to be lost, stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, or (2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

Now run along and show us "intent" is required. 

1 minute ago, Scout said:

By NICK GASS

------------------

That is why he sent a memo that exonerated Hillary well before the investigation was over which looks like what to you?