Sign in to follow this  
KneeJerk

The Boy Scouts are being over-run by PC liberalism

The Boy Scouts have always reminded me of Hitler Youth.......

Then you really do not know or understand what the Boy Scouts is all about. 

15 hours ago, Scout said:

Explain to us how this policy shift directly affects you and others in an adverse way.... :D

Depending on how the change is received by the current members, parents, volunteers and charter organizations there could be another exodus to the organization that split off a couple of years ago or to other activities.  Volunteers are the life blood of Scouting...Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts...if they leave in droves the organization has a major problem.  I know you will say other adults will step in...don't be so sure.  It is difficult to get a parent to register and be active.  Most want other adults to take care of things.

A further drop in membership will probably be accompanied by a drop in corporate donations (every drop in the past has) and a drop in membership has a direct impact on the annual financial campaign called Friends of Scouting....fewer members, fewer donations.  If charter organizations push back (there have already been rumors) entire units cease to exist.  So you may well have an organization that is facing a continued decline in membership  and financial resources.  That means jobs are on the line.

Forget the spin in the statement...this was a move to attract members.  They are betting that new members will out number the ones they lose...problem is every time they have made dramatic changes and hoped that would happen they were wrong.

So the list: Possible decline in existing units.  Probable decline in membership.  Decrease in financial stability which results in budget cuts, consolidation of operations with possible job losses.  Take the national level financial impact and multiply it by 10 and you get the impact on the local councils.

The real reason Scouting has fallen out of favor is because, unless you make Eagle Scout, it doesn't help a kid get into the college of their choice.  Sports, community service that the schools recognize, grades and test scores is where it's at.  No one has time to take AP classes, prepare for the SAT, run track and attend Scouting events. 

I put this out there so that folks who are really interested in saving Scouting can address the real issues hurting it.

1 minute ago, Skans said:

No one has time to take AP classes, prepare for the SAT, run track and attend Scouting events. 

My Eagle Scout son did...and the other 7 kids in his patrol.  Of course, he only graduated from high school one slot outside the top 10% and with 9 college credit hours.  Not sure about all the other 7.  I know one was selected for the Air Force Academy (still flies fighters), one received a baseball scholarship at U of H, one went off to Penn State and one got his undergrad from MIT. 

People, even kids, find time and a way to do the things they want to do.

My Eagle Scout son did

And, there's the key - Eagle Scout.  But, what happens to those who don't make Eagle Scout?   Also, just because your kid and his friends did it, doesn't mean that others can't find the time to do this.   No one is saying Boy Scouts is dead, just that the numbers aren't where they should be.  You have to ask "why".  I could tell you that there is absolutely no way my kid could find time to do Scouting.

3 minutes ago, Skans said:

And, there's the key - Eagle Scout.  But, what happens to those who don't make Eagle Scout?   Also, just because your kid and his friends did it, doesn't mean that others can't find the time to do this.   No one is saying Boy Scouts is dead, just that the numbers aren't where they should be.  You have to ask "why".  I could tell you that there is absolutely no way my kid could find time to do Scouting.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you.  You are absolutely correct that the numbers aren't where they should be.  I can even give you the primary reason but it would make the heads of the liberals here explode.

What I am saying is, if a kid WANTS to do Scouting, they will do Scouting.  They may have to decide between activities and give up some things, but it can be done it the desire is there.

What I am saying is, if a kid WANTS to do Scouting, they will do Scouting.  They may have to decide between activities and give up some things, but it can be done it the desire is there.

I agree with that, and I believe that Scouting (as done by the Boy Scouts) can be a truly excellent experience.  When I went to college, getting in to a decent University wasn't that difficult.  My parents did not have to help me plot out my activities and curriculum from the time I was in 8th grade. 

Athletic training wasn't the same then as it is now.  If your kid has athletic talent, you need to be on that when they are 8 and 9 depending on the sport.  There is no "catch-up" for kids who decide they want to play baseball, tennis, etc. - the competition starts very early.  So, if you have one of those kids and they make it to high school without having a mental breakdown, there's no way in heck you are going to let that kid throw away his/her talent to do Scouting.  There's simply too much time and money invested by the parents and the kid to let that happen.  I'm saying this as someone who really likes Scouting and wants to see it continue.

Hitler Youth had a number of similarities with the Boy Scouts, which was founded in England by Lord Baden Powell, who was appalled that Her Majesty's Army were so easily defeated by Boer farmers in South Africa, who had no real military training.

Physical fitness and loyalty to one's  country and comrades were features of both the Scouts and the Hitler Youth. Both were essentially premilitary training. When I was a Scout, we slepy=t in army surplus tents and sleeping bags, ate from army surplus messkits and were awakened by some fool with an army surplus bugle.

We also frequently heard from some scoutmasters  that we should be grateful  that the Scouts treated us better than we would be treated WHEN WE WERE IN THE ARMY. This statement mostly resulted in  replies that the Coast Guard and Navy were far better choices. The truly gung ho, of course, opted for the Muh-RINES, who were the REAL MEN.

Typically scoutmasters were Korean War vets. Also typically, not a one of them knew a thing about Korean history. Only that Commies were bad and deserved to die.

Hitler was not stupid. The Hitler Youth gave him a major advantage over his adversaries in places like Poland, Belgium and France. Physical training is not a bad thing for young men.

6 hours ago, BatteryPowered said:

Depending on how the change is received by the current members, parents, volunteers and charter organizations there could be another exodus to the organization that split off a couple of years ago or to other activities.  Volunteers are the life blood of Scouting...Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts...if they leave in droves the organization has a major problem.  I know you will say other adults will step in...don't be so sure.  It is difficult to get a parent to register and be active.  Most want other adults to take care of things.

A further drop in membership will probably be accompanied by a drop in corporate donations (every drop in the past has) and a drop in membership has a direct impact on the annual financial campaign called Friends of Scouting....fewer members, fewer donations.  If charter organizations push back (there have already been rumors) entire units cease to exist.  So you may well have an organization that is facing a continued decline in membership  and financial resources.  That means jobs are on the line.

Forget the spin in the statement...this was a move to attract members.  They are betting that new members will out number the ones they lose...problem is every time they have made dramatic changes and hoped that would happen they were wrong.

So the list: Possible decline in existing units.  Probable decline in membership.  Decrease in financial stability which results in budget cuts, consolidation of operations with possible job losses.  Take the national level financial impact and multiply it by 10 and you get the impact on the local councils.

I was asking about YOU personally. 

When I was teaching, I was one of the sponsors for the high school reading club.  We found that girls, with little complaint, would read the designated book whether it was geared toward male or female.  One could not say the same of the boys.   If a book had a main character that was female, a greater proportion would not participate. 

What is the purpose of acting like that (other than insisting they always get their own way)?

21 minutes ago, Scout said:

When I was teaching, I was one of the sponsors for the high school reading club.  We found that girls, with little complaint, would read the designated book whether it was geared toward male or female.  One could not say the same of the boys.   If a book had a main character that was female, a greater proportion would not participate. 

What is the purpose of acting like that (other than insisting they always get their own way)?

I think that boys have a harder time identifying with female characters. One year, I started reading Hardy Boys mysteries. I ran out of them after several months, and started reading Nancy Drew mysteries. Back them, too check out a book, you looked on the card and could see who read it before you.

There were no girl's names on the cards for Hardy Boys mysteries, and no boy;s names except mine on the Nancy Drew mysteries. I can't say that I preferred one set to the other. Nancy had a much cooler car - a Packard roadster. I don't remember any cars  the Hardy Boys had. There was a motorcycle in there, somewhere. 

28 minutes ago, Scout said:

Thought provoking post. 

Girls are more obedient than boys. Boys like to rebel, girls like to be cherished and dependable.

Male protagonists are  more common in both fiction and the movies.

Can you imagine a female MacGuyver or  a female Indiana Jones as a lead character?