Sign in to follow this  
KneeJerk

The Boy Scouts are being over-run by PC liberalism

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/boy-scouts-will-admit-girls-allow-them-earn-eagle-scout-n809836

The Boy Scouts of America announced on Wednesday that girls will soon be allowed to become Cub Scouts and to earn the coveted rank of Eagle Scout, the organization’s highest honor.

"We believe it is critical to evolve how our programs meet the needs of families interested in positive and lifelong experiences for their children," said Michael Surbaugh, chief executive of the Boy Scouts.

The scouting board of directors voted unanimously to make the historic change in an organization that has been primarily for boys since its founding more than 100 years ago.

"I just want to do what the Boy Scouts do — earn the merit badges and earn the Eagle Award," she told NBC News. "The Girl Scouts is a great organization, but it's just not the program that I want to be part of. I think girls should just have the opportunity to be a member of any organization they want regardless of gender."

In the past, the Girl Scouts have been cool to the idea of admitting girls into the Boy Scouts, citing research that showed many girls learn best in an all-female environment.

"We are unparalleled in our ability to build great female leaders who contribute to society at every level," said Andrea Bastiani Archibald, a psychologist who helps guide the Girl Scouts.

So, the Girl Scouts are an inferior organization and instead of making it more like the Boy Scouts, they find it's easier to co-op the Boy Scouts for their own interests.

Learning about subjugating men early in life.

Wait until a boy wants to join the Girl Scouts.

kj

You knew this was going to happen. You can have all girl schools but you cannot have all boys schools. TEh womens will cry. 

This is not "PC" - that's just you using a word you don't understand.

I see, but you didn't note, that the scouts will still be in units of boys or girls, not mixed.

Seems like a positive change from when women were in much more limited roles.

It does raise a question about the girl scouts allowing for groups of boys to participate in their organization. Why not?

Starting next year, young girls can join Cub Scout units, known as dens. Local scouting organizations can choose to have dens for girls and dens for boys. "Cub Scout dens will be single-gender — all boys or all girls," the organization said in a statement.

Maybe the Girl Scouts can do their own thing.

kj

Future scouts. ..

I'm a gay  female maybe male transgendered pansexual  eagle scout with a merit badge in mouth to dick resuscitation. 

1 minute ago, lucifershammer said:

Future scouts. ..

I'm a gay  female maybe male transgendered pansexual  eagle scout with a merit badge in mouth to dick resuscitation. 

What a quality contribution to the topic.

Sometimes I wonder if democracy would make more sense for a pen of pigs than the people who seem so ill-equipped for self-governance.

9 minutes ago, Craig234 said:

What a quality contribution to the topic.

Sometimes I wonder if democracy would make more sense for a pen of pigs than the people who seem so ill-equipped for self-governance.

1 minute ago, lucifershammer said:

It is what it is. You overvalued your opinion here.

I'd say the opinion I overvalued is yours, but that can be fixed.

1 minute ago, Craig234 said:

Probably not. The worst you can do is put me on ignore and at the rate you're going your tenure here will be short. You're easily butthurt and I really don't think you'll last here 

The Boy Scouts are being over-run by PC liberalism

Even super-prejudiced Trump and a Nation dominated by Republican politics can't turn the tide of Liberalism.  The population is becoming inexorably more Liberal and it will eventually reflect itself in the political makeup of our government.  One way or the other. 

There is a serious disconnect between what most people want and what their government is doing.   Even most Republicans want higher taxes for the very rich, but their elected officials are giving them the opposite, instead.  An arrangement like that can't last much longer. 

5 minutes ago, Craig234 said:

All you did was rephrase what he said to you. Get your own material. LOL!

1 minute ago, bludog said:

Even super-prejudiced Trump and a Nation dominated by Republican politics can't turn the tide of Liberalism.  The population is becoming inexorably more Liberal and it will eventually reflect itself in the political makeup of our government.  One way or the other. 

There is not a serious disconnect between what most people want and what their government is doing.   Even most Republicans want higher taxes for the very rich, but their elected officials are giving them the opposite, instead.  An arrangement like that can't last much longer. 

Why not a balance? 

56 minutes ago, lucifershammer said:

Why not a balance? 

A rhetorical question?   It all depends where on the political spectrum one is.  Some, including me, believe that the true greatness of a nation lies in the "general welfare" of the entire Nation, as a whole.  Not just great wealth, as measured by the worth of a relatively few individuals.  And not just by military might. 

1 hour ago, bludog said:

There is not a serious disconnect between what most people want and what their government is doing.   Even most Republicans want higher taxes for the very rich, but their elected officials are giving them the opposite, instead.  An arrangement like that can't last much longer. 

I wish you were right in suggesting that the tension will defeat the plutocrats.

But the evidence suggests the tension might defeat the people instead.

Louis Brandeis said you can have democracy or concentration of wealth, but not both.

He did not say you can only have democracy, and not concentration of wealth. We're currently choosing concentration of wealth and there's no end in sight.

1 hour ago, bludog said:

A rhetorical question?   It all depends where on the political spectrum one is.  Some, including me, believe that the true greatness of a nation lies in the "general welfare" of the entire Nation, as a whole.  Not just great wealth, as measured by the worth of a relatively few individuals.  And not just by military might. 

and most of us say FUCK  YOU,, get a job ,,, support yourself

wanna be poor  then your being poor on your own the country doesnt decide who is poor and whos not but !!!!!!!!!!!!

the democrats are keeping the nigs poor by giving them welfare

11 hours ago, KneeJerk said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/boy-scouts-will-admit-girls-allow-them-earn-eagle-scout-n809836

The Boy Scouts of America announced on Wednesday that girls will soon be allowed to become Cub Scouts and to earn the coveted rank of Eagle Scout, the organization’s highest honor.

"We believe it is critical to evolve how our programs meet the needs of families interested in positive and lifelong experiences for their children," said Michael Surbaugh, chief executive of the Boy Scouts

The scouting board of directors voted unanimously to make the historic change in an organization that has been primarily for boys since its founding more than 100 years ago.

"I just want to do what the Boy Scouts do — earn the merit badges and earn the Eagle Award," she told NBC News. "The Girl Scouts is a great organization, but it's just not the program that I want to be part of. I think girls should just have the opportunity to be a member of any organization they want regardless of gender."

In the past, the Girl Scouts have been cool to the idea of admitting girls into the Boy Scouts, citing research that showed many girls learn best in an all-female environment.

"We are unparalleled in our ability to build great female leaders who contribute to society at every level," said Andrea Bastiani Archibald, a psychologist who helps guide the Girl Scouts.

So, the Girl Scouts are an inferior organization and instead of making it more like the Boy Scouts, they find it's easier to co-op the Boy Scouts for their own interests.

Learning about subjugating men early in life.

Wait until a boy wants to join the Girl Scouts

Neocon tears are the sweetest.

In a short FAQ sent to employees at the National, Regional and Council offices there appears the following:

Q: How will the BSA respond to parents who don’t want coeducational troops/programs?  Do chartered organizations or local councils have a choice whether or not to adopt the expanded program?

When girls join Cub Scouting in fall 2018, packs may welcome them right away. An existing pack may choose to recruit girls or remain an all-boy pack. When creating a new pack, a chartered organization may form an all-boy pack, an all-girl pack or a pack of girls and boys. Cub Scout dens will be single-gender — all boys or all girls. Cub Scout packs, meanwhile, can include any combination of all-boy or all-girl dens. The choice is left to individual pack leaders in consultation with their chartered organizations. This hybrid model builds on the benefit of a single-gender program while also providing character and leadership opportunities for both boys and girls. (underline emphasis mine)

The discussions on how to handle the issue in 2019 when the expansion into Boy Scouts happens are still ongoing.  The desire is to use the same concept but the interaction of the youth and their independence on camping trips present a different set of challenges.  You have to know something about the structure of the BSA.  Units are "owned" by chartering organizations who must provide general direction, insurance, and a place to meet.  Everything a Unit has is owned by them.  In Cub Scouts the unit is a Pack...made up of Dens of youth.  A Pack typically meets once a month while the individual Dens meet weekly.  Cub Scouts can go camping, but they are family camping outings.  In Boy Scouts the unit is a Troop...made up of Patrols of youth.  A Troop typically meets once a week and during the meeting there is a time for the various Patrols to meet on their own.  In Troops, every meeting is conducted and lead by a Scout...the Scoutmaster, Assistant Scoutmaster(s) and other adult leaders observe and answer questions.  A good Troop will go camping once a month (regardless of weather), where the patrols camp in a small group, cook their own meals, etc.  The adults on the camping trip camp in an area separate from the youth but close enough to hear if things start getting out of hand...and oversee the activities (basically making sure they are safe).

The expansion into Boy Scouts is a year away because the Youth Protection training program needs to be reworked and the Guide To Safe Scouting will need to be modified after the decision is made on the new structure of the Troops.

You cant just turn your males over to groups that are drugging them for running on the playground and or creating a unnatural selection gender confusion problems. Survival training skills should be complete with hunting growing food and storing food without refrigeration exactly as they were doing it out on the frontier. 

I heard some comments this morning about this topic.  I am truly divided on this one.  I recognize that there is a real benefit to boys being led by responsible men in the tradition of the Boy Scouts, without the distraction of girls which really would change the dynamic.

I also recognize that there is no program out there for girls which instill the same values, survival and life skills as the Boy Scouts does for Boys.  Girl Scouts is a joke and should be disbanded as an abuse of child labor to peddle cookies.   All girl scouts seem to learn is how to sell over-priced cookies in front of grocery stores to win prizes.   Most of the mothers who get involved in girl scouts are useless at teaching genuine survival skills, and they have no interest in camping, hiking, survival training, etc.,  even though many of the girls do.  The bottom line is that you can't leave it up to women to teach girls the same thing men teach boys in Boy Scouts.  They won't, most can't, and none even try.  Yet, some girls really crave this type of training, and there is nothing wrong with that.  I would like to see a serious program for these girls.

Other matters to consider: Would moms and dads entrust 14-17 year old girls with male scout-masters on a national basis?  We all know that there is a much bigger chance for sexual abuse between members of the opposite sex than of the same sex.  Perhaps having two or three dads involved in a group would keep things in check.  Those are my thoughts - I don't pretend to have a well thought out solution.

37 minutes ago, Skans said:

I heard some comments this morning about this topic.  I am truly divided on this one.  I recognize that there is a real benefit to boys being led by responsible men in the tradition of the Boy Scouts, without the distraction of girls which really would change the dynamic.

I also recognize that there is no program out there for girls which instill the same values, survival and life skills as the Boy Scouts does for Boys.  Girl Scouts is a joke and should be disbanded as an abuse of child labor to peddle cookies.   All girl scouts seem to learn is how to sell over-priced cookies in front of grocery stores to win prizes.   Most of the mothers who get involved in girl scouts are useless at teaching genuine survival skills, and they have no interest in camping, hiking, survival training, etc.,  even though many of the girls do.  The bottom line is that you can't leave it up to women to teach girls the same thing men teach boys in Boy Scouts.  They won't, most can't, and none even try.  Yet, some girls really crave this type of training, and there is nothing wrong with that.  I would like to see a serious program for these girls.

Other matters to consider: Would moms and dads entrust 14-17 year old girls with male scout-masters on a national basis?  We all know that there is a much bigger chance for sexual abuse between members of the opposite sex than of the same sex.  Perhaps having two or three dads involved in a group would keep things in check.  Those are my thoughts - I don't pretend to have a well thought out solution.

The expanded program for older youth will have issues.  Currently girls are allowed to participate in the Venture Scout program (older than 18) and those units can go camping.  However, if a female Venture Scout goes camping, at least one approve female adult leader must go on the trip.  It is currently assumed that will also apply to Boy Scout units.  Currently, a minimum of two registered adults must be present with the boys if any adult is with the boys (except when the adult driving a vehicle).  That will never change.

The Girl Scouts missed a golden opportunity the early 1940's.  Waite Phillips (Phillips Petroleum, and later a real estate development know as Rodeo Drive...his brothers founded Phillips 66) gave the BSA just over 35,000 acres of mountainous land in NM that was turned into a high adventure base.  He gave additional land over the next few years and when they were having trouble paying for the upkeep and staffing he gave them the Philtower office building in Tulsa to endow the camp.  During that time he approached the Girl Scouts and offered to do the same thing for them and an area of their choosing...they turned him down.

Ideally, I would like to see a mirror of the Boy Scout program for girls (girls only, no boys) who are interested.  It will have to be run by men - women screwed up the Girl Scout program beyond anything I would want my female child involved in.  But, there would have to be safeguards to protect the girls as well as the men involved in the program.  That's not easy.

The real problem stems from the fact that too few women are interested or capable of running a scouting program like what the Boy Scouts have. 

I was in the Boy Scouts, from Cub Scout to Eagle Scout, and in the Explorers after that to Silver Badge. I was a counselor at  Camp Osceola, and am a Sachem in the Tribe of Mic-O-Say. I was on the staff at Philmont Scout Ranch, washing dishes for the leaders taking Woodbadge Training, my father was a Scout before me and a Scoutmaster. I learned a lot in the Boy Scouts, and so did all my fellow scouts in Troop 211.

I agree that there are a lot of girls that would also like to learn something about surviving in the woods, but the Girl Scouts and the Campfire Girls don't really do much. My daughter  was a Girl Scout, but like the rest of her troop got tired of peddling cookies and drifted away. 

The Scouts are less effective now because of all the distractions: TV presents entertainment 24/7, and then there are video games and skateboards and such that did not exist when I was a boy. I think that admitting girls could be a great idea, if handled correctly.

I wish Trump had been a scout.

He might be more trustworthy,loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

At best, I think he is probably clean  (physically).