Blue Devil

A Well Regulated Militia...

I Am a Well Regulated Militia.

Second-_Amendment--620x358.jpg

"The Sound of Freedom"

2 hours ago, Blue Devil said:

And how do you move and fight from the ground with that big-ass mag?

As for accurate sustained fire? Eight rounds, w/ a < five second re-load in between, is good enough.

And no bulky mags to fumble with, break down, or additional weight to carry.

Clips - the elegant solution.

Points taken.  However, somehow, I don't see myself doing a lot of "ground" fighting in a SHTF scenario. 

2 hours ago, Blue Devil said:

Not true.

They are half the cost - because the American Taxpayer already bought'em once.

They're recycles.

The same rifle, built new today, would run you in excess of $2,200.

You could say that about the Swiss Schmidt Rubin K31, except well, they just aren't as handy as a large-capacity semi-auto .308.  Supply and demand says Garands, even if made new today would not be priced above M1A's.

5 hours ago, Skans said:

Points taken.  However, somehow, I don't see myself doing a lot of "ground" fighting in a SHTF scenario. 

When I think of Eight(8) rounds of M2 AP in a SHTF scenario... I get the willies.

5 hours ago, Skans said:

You could say that about the Swiss Schmidt Rubin K31, except well, they just aren't as handy as a large-capacity semi-auto .308.  Supply and demand says Garands, even if made new today would not be priced above M1A's.

Cost of manufacturing.

Forged receiver and all machined parts.

The LRB "Classic", w/ the forged M14SA receiver, is $28,000 and change.

Nothing against the SAI/M1A, I like'em.

They just don't solve any problems for me.

11 hours ago, Blue Devil said:

The LRB "Classic", w/ the forged M14SA receiver, is $28,000 and change.

You can have a relatively new M1A (semi-auto) with an excellent quality forged receiver and machined parts (USGI Winchester parts) with a match-grade barrel for $2,000 (used price).  If you want to put it into an LRB chassis, that would add about another $900 to the price.   Smith Enterprise is currently making M1A top-quality forged receivers.  You will pay a premium over a cast Springfield, but it ain't anywhere near a $25,000 premium!

58 minutes ago, Skans said:

You can have a relatively new M1A (semi-auto) with an excellent quality forged receiver and machined parts (USGI Winchester parts) with a match-grade barrel for $2,000 (used price).  If you want to put it into an LRB chassis, that would add about another $900 to the price.   Smith Enterprise is currently making M1A top-quality forged receivers.  You will pay a premium over a cast Springfield, but it ain't anywhere near a $25,000 premium!

Typo.

$2,800 and change.

3 hours ago, Skans said:

Ok, that's about on par with Smith Enterprise - makes sense to me. 

Like I said, have picked up a walnut stocked Scout Squad a hundred times.

Don't know why I don't own one.

Also figured that, for a few $hundred, I could re-Bbl an M1 w/ a Criterion 7.62 NATO.

Probably part of it.

31 minutes ago, Blue Devil said:

Like I said, have picked up a walnut stocked Scout Squad a hundred times.

Don't know why I don't own one.

Probably because, you (like me) don't like cheap, cast receivers.

1 hour ago, Skans said:

Probably because, you (like me) don't like cheap, cast receivers.

On theory, not.

Especially on a high Power cartridge.

But I like my 580 Series Mini-14 quite a bit.

WP-20190721-14-44-30-Pro-50-crop.jpg

Cast receiver and all.

Just now, Blue Devil said:

On theory, not.

Especially on a high Power cartridge.

But I like my 580 Series Mini-14 quite a bit.

WP-20190721-14-44-30-Pro-50-crop.jpg

Cast receiver and all.

Ruger makes exceptional quality investment cast receivers.   Still, I'd like it better if they used forged.

23 minutes ago, Skans said:

Ruger makes exceptional quality investment cast receivers.   Still, I'd like it better if they used forged.

Sure, forged anything is generally better, short of turbine blades.

Speaking of Ruger - Have I shown you one of my more recent acquisitions?

Hawkeye African - chambered in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.

WP-20190501-10-01-58-Pro-50-crop-pallet.

Pulled and plugged the rear leaf sight, and then installed a tip-off aperture.

Talk about a sweet shooting field marksmanship rifle...

8 minutes ago, Blue Devil said:

Sure, forged anything is generally better, short of turbine blades.

Speaking of Ruger - Have I shown you one of my more recent acquisitions?

Hawkeye African - chambered in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.

WP-20190501-10-01-58-Pro-50-crop-pallet.

Pulled and plugged the rear leaf sight, and then installed a tip-off aperture.

Talk about a sweet shooting field marksmanship rifle...

That's a nice looking rifle, BD!  I would have guessed sportorized Mauser, not Ruger. I like the rear sight much better than the leaf-spring sight. That would be a lot more accurate.  No Glass?

41 minutes ago, Skans said:

That's a nice looking rifle, BD!  I would have guessed sportorized Mauser, not Ruger. I like the rear sight much better than the leaf-spring sight. That would be a lot more accurate.  No Glass?

Not on that girl - she is a field marksmanship rifle... that may do a little freezer fillin' along the way.

Now, her big sister...?

In 9.3x62...?

WP-20190702-13-33-24-Pro-50-crop.jpg

Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm.

286 gr. Swift A-Frames - For things that hunt back.

9>)

You guys are killing me with these pictures!
WTH do you live, BD?
I want to come shoot with you

6 hours ago, Chuck! said:

You guys are killing me with these pictures!
WTH do you live, BD?
I want to come shoot with you

Current Project has me in the nicer weather version of Hell.

When I get back to Free America, and the Great State of Louisiana, I'll invite you down for a shoot - and maybe a little fishin' out in the Atchafalaya basin.

The 9.3x62 is an interesting cartridge to shoot.

9 minutes ago, Blue Devil said:

The 9.3x62 is an interesting cartridge to shoot.

Looks about like a 30-06.  What's so interesting about it?  Personally, I really try to stick with easy to obtain cartridges when I purchase rifles.  I don't do any big game hunting, though. And, I am trying to stay away from hand loading.   Been there, done that - ends up costing me more money, time and space than its worth. 

On 3/27/2020 at 10:23 AM, Skans said:

Looks about like a 30-06.  What's so interesting about it?  Personally, I really try to stick with easy to obtain cartridges when I purchase rifles.  I don't do any big game hunting, though. And, I am trying to stay away from hand loading.   Been there, done that - ends up costing me more money, time and space than its worth. 

The 9.3x62 - is an elegant cartridge that brings enough energy and penetration to kill a Cape Buffalo, in an 8.5 lb scoped Std. length action rifle and a cartridge slightly bigger than a 30-06.

And it's shoot-able - but just.

PPU loads inexpensive ammo for it that works fine for practice and hogs. - that is re-loadable for serious hunting.

IMG_3191-1024x859.jpg

A 9.3x62mm cartridge compared to a .308 Winchester

1 hour ago, Blue Devil said:

The 9.3x62 - is an elegant cartridge that brings enough energy and penetration to kill a Cape Buffalo, in an 8.5 lb scoped Std. length action rifle and a cartridge slightly bigger than a 30-06.

And it's shoot-able - but just.

PPU loads inexpensive ammo for it that works fine for practice and hogs. - that is re-loadable for serious hunting.

A 9.3x62mm cartridge compared to a .308 Winchester

I've never seen a Cape Buffalo around these parts!  Just Deer, Coyote, Rabbit 'n Turkey.  Oh, and occasionally Black Bear when they aren't being skittish eating our feed.   I mostly use a 30-06 for hunting - it does the job (a little overkill ) and it's easy.  I just figure fancy cartridges cost fancy money, especially when you are trying to get a feel for the gun and sighting in your scope.  Then you have to get into hand-loading, and I avoid that like I do Covid-19. 

I used to reload 22-250 cartridges when I used to shoot a lot of that.   Several things I've learned since then:  More is not better.  Brass does not last forever.  Super hot loads turn bullets into led shards upon exiting the muzzle.  The shoulders of necked-down, high powered rifle cartridge cases really deform beyond being reloadable but I didn't care.  Remington 700's can take a lot of stupid abuse without blowing up.

2 hours ago, Skans said:

I used to reload 22-250 cartridges when I used to shoot a lot of that.   Several things I've learned since then:  More is not better.  Brass does not last forever.  Super hot loads turn bullets into led shards upon exiting the muzzle.  The shoulders of necked-down, high powered rifle cartridge cases really deform beyond being reloadable but I didn't care.  Remington 700's can take a lot of stupid abuse without blowing up.

That was great!

Good thing Adults already stocked up on ammo.

Pickin's are pretty slim for the Terrified Liberal Malcontents just realizing that their precious Government won't protect them.

And You can tell that it's the Liberal Malcontents - because the 12 Ga. birdshot is goin'.

Ha!

49 minutes ago, Blue Devil said:

And You can tell that it's the Liberal Malcontents - because the 12 Ga. birdshot is goin'.

Ha!

Perhaps Millennials are getting into Sporting Clays?

1 minute ago, Skans said:

Perhaps Millennials are getting into Sporting Clays?

Possible.

More likely the advice of Creepy "shotgun" Joe.

Ha!

1 minute ago, Blue Devil said:

Possible.

More likely the advice of Creepy "shotgun" Joe.

Ha!

Idiots buy stuff just because it makes them feel good about it.  Most serious gun owners have enough ammo to last their lifetimes and most of their kids' lifetimes too. It's all stacked up next to the toilet paper.