A Well Regulated Militia...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, NoGhost said:

I COULD HAVE BOUGHT ONE OF THOSE M-1s CHEAP WHEN I WORKED IN THE GUN SHOP...LIKE 30 YEARS AGO.

I have one. One of the problems with mine being somewhere early production,  the receivers were not hardened, and that could cause  them to crack. So while I have a low use, under 50 rounds, beautiful bore, you can't sell or assign them in gun shops, as they won't resell them. My dad bought it back in the 60's, new, still in the packaging and cosmoline. He used it for deer hunting, once.

Although I normally carried the BAR, we used M1s when I was in high school ROTC in the 50s. I wonder what became of the millions that must have been manufactured? Sold to private owners? Except for the small magazine size (8, as I recall), a fine weapon. Presumably you can still get ammo for it?

3 hours ago, Blue Devil said:

Second-Amendment--620x358.jpg

"...The Sound of Freedom!"

I've seen pictures of the Michigan militia, a bunch of fat slob old guys who strike fear into the hearts of no one.

well, maybe the owners of those all you can eat buffets, but no one else.

2 hours ago, shintao said:

I have one. One of the problems with mine being somewhere early production,  the receivers were not hardened, and that could cause  them to crack. So while I have a low use, under 50 rounds, beautiful bore, you can't sell or assign them in gun shops, as they won't resell them. My dad bought it back in the 60's, new, still in the packaging and cosmoline. He used it for deer hunting, once.

A lot of the early brittle receiver heals were lead-dipped to anneal them.

Wasn't all that big of a issue anyway, more a high round count problem.

CMP sells Service Grade M1 Garands by the 100,000, and makes no concession for low serial number rifles.

Your chances of actually crackin' one with M2 ball/AP is tantamount to winnin' the lottery (but in a bad way).

Shoot'em/sell'em all you want to.

The ones you have to watch out for are the early, low serial number 1903 Springfields.

They lacked properly heat-treated receiver rings that can fail like a grenade.

24 minutes ago, harryramar said:

I've seen pictures of the Michigan militia, a bunch of fat slob old guys who strike fear into the hearts of no one.

well, maybe the owners of those all you can eat buffets, but no one else.

Appleseed Rifleman are 4 MOA qualified to 400 yards.

Given proper range and wind corrections, that allows hits on man sized targets out to 500 yards with a service rifle like an AR-15/M1A/M1 Garand.

...or, Antifa Ass-douche Self-entitled malcontent Adolescent Communist sized targets out to ~ 450.

Ha!

5 minutes ago, rightturnsonly said:

Looks like the best defense against this militia would be to stay perfectly still.  I could be wrong but it didn't look like the bullets were hitting the targets.

Probably just the night-fired tracer rounds.

Appleseed Rifleman are 4 MOA Qualified.

They may not all be Rifleman yet.

I'm not a big fan of the M1 Garand.  The main reason is because all of the ones you can purchase are cobbled together from refurbished parts of original Garands.  They are parts guns.  Some are good shooters, no doubt.  But, I'd rather have a well built, forged receiver M1A.  Just saying.

A regulated Militia was one reason, not the only reason (like some leftists would have you believe), we were guaranteed the right to own firearms.  The 2nd Amendment has 2 protections in it:  1) the right of Americans to own Firearms; and  2) the right of Americans to form citizens militias and conduct military-style training in groups.

16 minutes ago, Skans said:

I'm not a big fan of the M1 Garand.  The main reason is because all of the ones you can purchase are cobbled together from refurbished parts of original Garands.  They are parts guns.  Some are good shooters, no doubt.  But, I'd rather have a well built, forged receiver M1A.  Just saying.

A regulated Militia was one reason, not the only reason (like some leftists would have you believe), we were guaranteed the right to own firearms.  The 2nd Amendment has 2 protections in it:  1) the right of Americans to own Firearms; and  2) the right of Americans to form citizens militias and conduct military-style training in groups.

Coupla points:

1. The M1 Garand IS a parts rifle. Every single part is interchangeable with any other M1 Garand rifle. Both In the field and in garrison, rifles were routinely disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled as groups.

2. Service M1 Garands were routinely rebuilt in the field as needed, sometimes every coupla weeks in the harsh conditions of combat in the South Pacific.  The receivers are very hard and durable, while the wear parts are softer and easily replaced. Service life on a well maintained rifle between rebuilds is 10-15 thousand rounds.

3. The M1 Garand has a forged receiver, the SAI M1A does not. It is investment cast. A USGI M1 Garand would cost well in excess of $2,000 dollars if produced to the same specs commercially.

8 minutes ago, NoGhost said:

shintao...I assume you have it hanging on the wall...somewhere nice.

Service Rifles are like a good woman.

Keep'em clean, keep'em fed, keep'em lubed... and use them lots.

Day or night, in all kinds of weather... for their intended purpose.

Only a faggot would hang a Service Rifle on a wall.

The M1 Garand has a forged receiver, the SAI M1A does not. It is investment cast. A USGI M1 Garand would cost well in excess of $2,000 dollars if produced to the same specs commercially.

I don't disagree with any of what you said.  I wouldn't own a Springfield Armory M1A.  I'd build it on a LBR or TRW forged receiver with USGI parts.  Yes, it will cost more than your Garand, probably around $1,700 +/- all in.  The Garand is a good rifle, a great shooter.  You are limited to 30-06 and not the higher powered hunting rounds.   You will never have a numbers-matching Garand, but like you've said, doesn't need to be to be a good shooter.  Other than that, I've got nothing bad to say about it - enjoy it!

42 minutes ago, Skans said:

I don't disagree with any of what you said.  I wouldn't own a Springfield Armory M1A.  I'd build it on a LBR or TRW forged receiver with USGI parts.  Yes, it will cost more than your Garand, probably around $1,700 +/- all in.  The Garand is a good rifle, a great shooter.  You are limited to 30-06 and not the higher powered hunting rounds.   You will never have a numbers-matching Garand, but like you've said, doesn't need to be to be a good shooter.  Other than that, I've got nothing bad to say about it - enjoy it!

The M1 Garand didn't come with matching numbers.

CMP Service Grade M1 Garands are now $730 delivered. (while they last)

latest?cb=20111005191335

The CMP offers the Service Special Grade M1 Garand, with a new .308 Caliber Criterion barrel, for $1,030 delivered.

As for higher powered hunting rounds?

Ported Gas Plug

portedplug_sm.jpg

Swap one of these in for the USGI Gas CYL Lock Screw... and you are cleared hot for any round that fits in the chamber.

1 minute ago, Blue Devil said:

The M1 Garand didn't come with matching numbers.

CMP Service Grade M1 Garands are now $730 delivered. (while they last)

latest?cb=20111005191335

Comrade Blow Doubling Down on Hate.. Bytes are the new Bullets

As for higher powered hunting rounds?

Ported Gas Plug

portedplug_sm.jpg

Swap one of these in for the USGI Gas CYL Lock Screw... and you are cleared hot for any round that fits in the chamber.