Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DumptheTrump

Ending white privilege

6 minutes ago, DumptheTrump said:

I will no longer respond to him on this thread.  And I came here to speak with like minded individuals, not people like him. Maybe after I get some tenure I'll venture to that area.  If I want to pursue holding office I better start being around bullies more anyways

Thanks for your cooperation.

If I want to pursue holding office I better start being around bullies more anyways

Got that right.  If you can't learn to deal with bullies, might as well stay out of politics altogether.  NHB has some really toxic bullies to practice on.

17 hours ago, DumptheTrump said:

An African American cannot be racist against a white because racism = privilege + prejudice. You cannot be racist without both.

These statements are false.  Here is a counter-example: The poorest, most under-privileged people can still be racist. Poor, ignorant and under-privileged whites historically hated and killed black people (by lynching, for example): an act of racism if there ever was one. So you can have racism without privilege.

Moreover when you use a big font it doesn't make your incorrect statement any more correct it just means you're wrong at the top of your lungs.

Furthermore, an African Americans can be racist against whites, and I offer these examples in support of that assertion:

He kind of likes Donald Trump, and  takes the above idea a bit further here:

17 hours ago, laripu said:

So here's the thing. I like black people and I like lesbians. But the way you've been writing, right now I don't like you.

That hatred will destroy you if you don't learn how to temper it.

17 hours ago, DumptheTrump said:

and how do I temper it exactly? I'm seriously asking. 

Why should I do you a good turn and answer that, immediately after telling you I don't like you personally?

You've personally already committed yourself to saying, in essence, that all whites are racist.

I won't help you. You wouldn't listen to me anyway; to you I'm a racist. So you can go ahead and destroy yourself. Not my problem.

Just now, laripu said:

These statements are false.  Here is a counter-example: The poorest, most under-privileged people can still be racist. Poor, ignorant and under-privileged whites historically hated and killed black people (by lynching, for example): an act of racism if there ever was one. So you can have racism without privilege.

Moreover when you use a big font it doesn't make your incorrect statement any more correct it just means you're wrong at the top of your lungs.

Furthermore, an African Americans can be racist against whites, and I offer these examples in support of that assertion:

He kind of likes Donald Trump, and  takes the above idea a bit further here:

Why should I do you a good turn and answer that, immediately after telling you I don't like you personally?

You've personally already committed yourself to saying, in essence, that all whites are racist.

I won't help you. You wouldn't listen to me anyway; to you I'm a racist. So you can go ahead and destroy yourself. Not my problem.

Typical bigot response

4 minutes ago, DumptheTrump said:

Typical bigot response

You made a general assertion. I offered counterexamples. You offered no examples, just a big shouty font.

That's just like the dialog you find from the racists in the No Holds Barred area.

And that's because you are the person who says that all whites are racists.

You call me a bigot? Look in the mirror.

1 minute ago, laripu said:

You made a general assertion. I offered counterexamples. You offered no examples, just a big shouty font.

That's just like the dialog you find from the racists in the No Holds Barred area.

And that's because you are the person who says that all whites are racists.

You call me a bigot? Look in the mirror.

Has your people been oppressed by the government for the last 150 years and raised statues in honor of the enemy?  I don't think so

I understand now. You say an African American cannot be racist, but a white person that disagrees and offers a counter-example is a bigot.

What I understand is this: independent of your color or gender or anything else, you're a jerk.

Just now, DumptheTrump said:

Has your people been oppressed by the government for the last 150 years and raised statues in honor of the enemy?  I don't think so

People wearing swastikas marched in Charlottesville yelling "Jews will not replace us". All my grandparents were killed by Nazis because of their race.

So yes. My people were oppressed for 2000 years. Here's a partial list. It misses 99% of the individual acts which were not recorded and lost in time.

Moreover, just because you've been oppressed and your race has been oppressed doesn't make you, personally, virtuous.

3 minutes ago, laripu said:

I understand now. You say an African American cannot be racist, but a white person that disagrees and offers a counter-example is a bigot.

What understand is this: independent of your color or gender or anything else, you're a jerk.

You sound like my ex-husband, the reason I no longer date men.  You two should get together and go bowling

Just now, DumptheTrump said:

You sound like my ex-husband, the reason I no longer date men.  You two should get together and go bowling

Now there's an admission and an idea!

I'm a super-terrible bowler, lucky to get 80. But he sure sounds like a reasonable man.

1 minute ago, laripu said:

People wearing swastikas marched in Charlottesville yelling "Jews will not replace us". All my grandparents were killed by Nazis because of their race.

So yes. My people were oppressed for 2000 years. Here's a partial list. It misses 99% of the individual acts which were not recorded and lost in time.

Moreover, just because you've been oppressed and your race has been oppressed doesn't make you, personally, virtuous.

And now the Jewish people have the most influence in media, government, and he financial world.  Turned out ok in the end.

Just now, laripu said:

Now there's an admission and an idea!

I'm a super-terrible bowler, lucky to get 80. But he sure sounds like a reasonable man.

Hat did make me chuckle lol 😂 

10 hours ago, laripu said:

What I understand is this: independent of your color or gender or anything else, you're a jerk.

Laripu, I have the distinct feeling we're being catfished, or trolled, or whatever the right word is.  

On 8/29/2017 at 10:12 PM, DumptheTrump said:

We tend to not hate whites because of their skin color, but what they have done and how they have treated us in the past. 

It boggles my mind how anyone who talks about their hate for other races can also claim to be a liberal.  These statements are definitely not helpful to the cause.  

9 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Laripu, I have the distinct feeling we're being catfished, or trolled, or whatever the right word is.  

It boggles my mind how anyone who talks about their hate for other races can also claim to be a liberal.  You're definitely not helpful to the cause.  

I don't hate anyone. I just think certain people see a black person and either

A).are nicer to them and would talk to them/treat them differently, as in more polite, because they are black

B). Automatically think that they might not have the same education as a white person

this is just from my personal experience. And I'm new to the farther left as I have said before.  I used to be more center but this election has pushed me much more left, as in needing more radical change. I still have much to learn I suppose. It was a bad week and I let my emotions go wild. For that, I am sorry

13 hours ago, Renegade said:

On 8/30/2017 at 11:01 AM, laripu said:

On 8/29/2017 at 9:12 PM, DumptheTrump said:

We tend to not hate whites because of their skin color, but what they have done and how they have treated us in the past. 

It boggles my mind how anyone who talks about their hate for other races can also claim to be a liberal.  These statements are definitely not helpful to the cause. 

The first rule for LO is "No conservatives allowed".  It is very hard to draw a hard line or a precise definition.  Each individual is a special case.  Most on the Left, including most Liberals, harbor some Conservative ideas.  Some Right Wing ideas, held by otherwise Liberal individuals are taken as highly offensive even though the offended individual may have his/her own areas of Conservative belief which might seem outrageous to still other Liberals.

My own flexible standard for who is allowed in the LO Rm is:---  Anyone left of center.

One exception is Communism, which espouses totalitarianism ... incompatible with Liberalism. 

The second rule for LO is, "Post respectfully, personal attacks will not be tolerated".  Anyone who regularly breaks this rule will also be excluded from the LO Rm, no matter their ideology.

14 minutes ago, bludog said:

The first rule for LO is "No conservatives allowed".  It is very hard to draw a hard line an a precise definition.  Each individual is a special case.  Most on the Left, including most Liberals, harbor some Conservative ideas.  Some Right Wing ideas, held by otherwise Liberal individuals are taken as highly offensive even though the offended individual may have his/her own areas of Conservative belief which might seem outrageous to still other Liberals.

My own flexible standard for who is allowed in the LO Rm is:---  Anyone left of center.

One exception is Communism, which espouses totalitarianism and is incompatible with Liberalism. 

The second rule for LO is, "Post respectfully, personal attacks will not be tolerated".  Anyone who regularly breaks this rule will also be excluded from the LO Rm, no matter their ideology.

He can post his opinion. It's ok.  To be honest, once I settled down, I re-read a lot of it and realized how out of line I was. Amazing how stress can turn you into something your not.

The truth is that I do have negative feelings towards white people and it is NOT WARRENTED. People are individuals, and by saying what I did it makes me no different than the racist Trump supporters.  I was wrong and am evaluating my stances on a lot of issues.  This forum has helped me in just the few days I have been here (especially browsing "no holds barred")

4 minutes ago, DumptheTrump said:

The truth is that I do have negative feelings towards white people and it is NOT WARRENTED. People are individuals, and by saying what I did it makes me no different than the racist Trump supporters.  I was wrong and am evaluating my stances on a lot of issues.  This forum has helped me in just the few days I have been here (especially browsing "no holds barred")

I see a walk along the path of wisdom.  smiley-with-glasses12.gif

13 hours ago, DumptheTrump said:

I just think certain people see a black person and either

A).are nicer to them and would talk to them/treat them differently, as in more polite, because they are black

That's kind of a weak complaint.

Anyway, it's unlikely they're doing it because the black person is black. It's much more likely they're doing it to signal that while they may be white, they aren't among the racists.

Here is what I know. My 2¢ worth...

1. Since every person is different than every other person,  it makes sense to look at human behavior in aggregate, statistically.
  2. Every large enough grouping of people of any kind has racists. By large enough I mean "statistically significant populations". (For argument's sake we can take that to be 500 people, but I won't quibble about the number.)
  3. That means even large groupings of African Americans, Jewish Americans, Asian Americans, and Mexican Americans will have racists among them. Sometimes the racists act out more, sometimes less.
  4. If I had to guess the typical percentage of racists in any large enough grouping, I'd say around 30%. Maybe a range would be 25% to 35%. This is only a personal guess from experience, not validated scientifically.
  5. You can diminish racist behavior through good education and good parenting. You can also increase racist behavior through bad education and bad parenting. But you can't get rid of it. There's a hard core that can't be changed.
  6. The reason we have racism is evolution. In prehistoric (archaeological) human tribal past, tribes survived at a higher rate if they had a good percentage of angry violent people that hated competing tribes.
  7. The reason we have people who are loving and cooperative is evolution. In prehistoric (archaeological) human tribal past, tribes survived at a higher rate if they had a good percentage of people that could cooperate and nurture the other individuals in the group.
  8. The above two points mean that we, as a species, inherited both capabilities.
  9. Maybe the perfect person would be one who was cooperative and nurturing 99.9% of the time, and violent/angry when necessary for defense. But there is no perfect person. People get irritated, nervous, angry, edgy, curt, and evasive for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with the people they're abusing. Maybe it's a rough day at work. maybe it's a bad bowel movement.
  10. In 100 years, nothing you're going through will matter to you. In 500 years, no one will even remember anyone who would remember anyone that knew you existed.
  11. In the end, everyone fails, because everyone dies.

1 hour ago, laripu said:

I see a walk along the path of wisdom.  smiley-with-glasses12.gif

That's kind of a weak complaint.

Anyway, it's unlikely they're doing it because the black person is black. It's much more likely they're doing it to signal that while they may be white, they aren't among the racists.

Here is what I know. My 2¢ worth...

1. Since every person is different than every other person,  it makes sense to look at human behavior in aggregate, statistically.
  2. Every large enough grouping of people of any kind has racists. By large enough I mean "statistically significant populations". (For argument's sake we can take that to be 500 people, but I won't quibble about the number.)
  3. That means even large groupings of African Americans, Jewish Americans, Asian Americans, and Mexican Americans will have racists among them. Sometimes the racists act out more, sometimes less.
  4. If I had to guess the typical percentage of racists in any large enough grouping, I'd say around 30%. Maybe a range would be 25% to 35%. This is only a personal guess from experience, not validated scientifically.
  5. You can diminish racist behavior through good education and good parenting. You can also increase racist behavior through bad education and bad parenting. But you can't get rid of it. There's a hard core that can't be changed.
  6. The reason we have racism is evolution. In prehistoric (archaeological) human tribal past, tribes survived at a higher rate if they had a good percentage of angry violent people that hated competing tribes.
  7. The reason we have people who are loving and cooperative is evolution. In prehistoric (archaeological) human tribal past, tribes survived at a higher rate if they had a good percentage of people that could cooperate and nurture the other individuals in the group.
  8. The above two points mean that we, as a species, inherited both capabilities.
  9. Maybe the perfect person would be one who was cooperative and nurturing 99.9% of the time, and violent/angry when necessary for defense. But there is no perfect person. People get irritated, nervous, angry, edgy, curt, and evasive for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with the people they're abusing. Maybe it's a rough day at work. maybe it's a bad bowel movement.
  10. In 100 years, nothing you're going through will matter to you. In 500 years, no one will even remember anyone who would remember anyone that knew you existed.
  11. In the end, everyone fails, because everyone dies.

Words of wisdom :)

1 hour ago, DumptheTrump said:

He can post his opinion. It's ok.

Of course it's OK.  No part of what I posted criticized him.  Just wanted to make that perfectly clear.

3 hours ago, bludog said:

Of course it's OK.  No part of what I posted criticized him.  Just wanted to make that perfectly clear.

Does that mean I'm going to heaven? :D        - Sez Laripu the atheist    :lol:

Edit to add:   with my luck I won't be going to heaven. I'll be going to Hibbing.  Hibbing, Minnesota.

1 hour ago, laripu said:

Does that mean I'm going to heaven? :D

Moderators are to be given that power very soon.  It's the elevator up or down ...   No return trip.   It's thought the rules will be followed more closely.

1 hour ago, laripu said:

- Sez Laripu the atheist    :lol:

For those who don't have faith, it doesn't work.

1 hour ago, laripu said:

Edit to add:   with my luck I won't be going to heaven. I'll be going to Hibbing.  Hibbing, Minnesota.

Why Hibbing, exactly?

Sounds a little like heaven today:--- 

Weather: 63°F (17°C), Wind SE at 10 mph (16 km/h), 54% Humidity

38 minutes ago, bludog said:

Moderators are to be given that power very soon.  It's the elevator up or down ...   No return trip.   It's thought the rules will be followed more closely.

Why Hibbing, exactly?

Sounds a little like heaven today:--- 

Weather: 63°F (17°C), Wind SE at 10 mph (16 km/h), 54% Humidity

You should see here today, was 71 and sunny.  Sat on my porch with a glass of wine and just relaxed.  My neighbor's dog and kid were being annoying, but I let it go lol

1 hour ago, bludog said:

Why Hibbing, exactly?

Paul Simon wrote "Faith is an island in the setting sun, but proof, yeah, proof is the bottom line for everyone." Faith is how innocent people get used, abused, bruised, but never excused.

Why Hibbing? Because it's a tiny little town known for nothing but Bob Dylan, and it sounds a bit like heaven if you tilt your ears and knock yourself in the head a few dozen times. :)

The high in Tampa was 95°F today ... like most days between late May and early November. I've had 40 years of Canadian winter, then 20 years of Florida summer. I'll take the summer, thanks. :D

5 minutes ago, laripu said:

Paul Simon wrote "Faith is an island in the setting sun, but proof, yeah, proof is the bottom line for everyone." Faith is how innocent people get used, abused, bruised, but never excused.

Why Hibbing? Because it's a tiny little town known for nothing but Bob Dylan, and it sounds a bit like heaven if you tilt your ears and knock yourself in the head a few dozen times. :)

The high in Tampa was 95°F today ... like most days between late May and early November. I've had 40 years of Canadian winter, then 20 years of Florida summer. I'll take the summer, thanks. :D

I visited Canada once.  Never again lol

13 minutes ago, DumptheTrump said:

I visited Canada once.  Never again lol

The cities are great fun in summer. June, July, August.  Any city where the greater metropolitan area has over 500K people.