Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DumptheTrump

Ending white privilege

Hello again all,

as we we all know, minorities in this country do not have the same shot at a successful life as white people do.  I had to work extra hard in school just to get the same grades as my white classmates, who would just breeze by and still get A's and B's. 

In the workplace, I've always had to say what I can offer a company, where is I've sat in interviews with white candidates  before and it was just more like a friendly conversation, not an interrogation.  One of my co-workers had he nerve to even hand me plain coffee and said "I know you like it black" and winked. I brushed it off, but there is a CLEAR disconnect between whites and minorities.  How can we make it so everyone is equal?? Ideas that I have are:

-Removing the Race/Ethnicity checkbox from job applications

-Prosecute companies who turn down minorities and hire mostly whites (Abercrombie & Fitch is a perfect example.  I was asked two questions from an interview there 10 years ago and shown the door).

3 hours ago, DumptheTrump said:

-Removing the Race/Ethnicity checkbox from job applications

-Prosecute companies who turn down minorities and hire mostly whites (Abercrombie & Fitch is a perfect example.  I was asked two questions from an interview there 10 years ago and shown the door).

I agree with both of those 100%.

Something I'd like to change is the phrase "white privilege". I'm not doubting that discrimination by race exists, just that I think it's not about privilege. Here's why:

When someone who is white gets treated normally, properly and politely and gets a fair chance, they're not being privileged.  They're being treated normally, properly and politely and is given a fair chance.  When someone who is not white is not treated normally, properly and politely and not given a fair chance, they're experiencing a kind of oppression based on bias and/or bigotry.

The phrase "white privilege" makes it sound like whites are getting good treatment that they're not supposed to get. I think good treatment is what everyone should get. When someone doesn't get a fair chance with normal, proper and polite treatment, that's oppression.

Moreover, there are also white people who also don't get proper treatment. If someone is white but not good looking, or dressed very differently than the people at the job they're looking for, they also get poor treatment. It's also due to prejudice, just a different kind.  No one goes to bat for the homely people... or the odd looking people... or the ugly people.

My two cents worth. Worth what it cost. :)

27 minutes ago, laripu said:

Something I'd like to change is the phrase "white privilege". I'm not doubting that discrimination by race exists, just that I think it's not about privilege. Here's why:

When someone who is white gets treated normally, properly and politely and gets a fair chance, they're not being privileged.  They're being treated normally, properly and politely and is given a fair chance.  When someone who is not white is not treated normally, properly and politely and not given a fair chance, they're experiencing a kind of oppression based on bias and/or bigotry.

Isnt this the definition of being privileged?? As someone who is mixed, I get treated as AA more than I get treated white.  Whites believe they are superior by nature.  It's not their fault, but it's just how they are.  White people who are part of groups like BLM are doing it out of guilt, which I believe is a form of racsism as well (we can organize and act on our own. And no, I'm not a member of BLM).

The phrase "white privilege" makes it sound like whites are getting good treatment that they're not supposed to get. I think good treatment is what everyone should get. When someone doesn't get a fair chance with normal, proper and polite treatment, that's oppression.

I agree. But whites DO NOT have to deal with the daily struggle of being black.  When I was 17 I worked at a local grocery store as a cashier.  It was my first job.  One time, the bagger (who was white) pocketed an item that I rang up for a customer.  I didn't say anything because I had a crush on him and didn't want him to get in trouble. Yes, it was my mistake looking back). Anyways, the customer came back an hour later and said that the item (spare razor blades) was not in the bag. The manager called me into his office after a refund was given and questioned me throughly. I eventually told the truth about what happened and he said that I could keep my job if I "did something for him". I asked what, and he got all red and told me what he wanted done. Not repeating it here. I didn't do it, but I quit a week later. I was young and naive then and didn't report it. Since I was black, I was guilty even though I didn't do a damn thing. 

Moreover, there are also white people who also don't get proper treatment. If someone is white but not good looking, or dressed very differently than the people at the job they're looking for, they also get poor treatment. It's also due to prejudice, just a different kind.  No one goes to bat for the homely people... or the odd looking people... or the ugly people.

Very true

Man, I hate that we have to have conversations like this.

It all seems so straight forward, to me at least.  I believe this country is and should be about ALL people being equal.  I have a dear friend, he and I served in LE together and we trust each other with our lives, and he happens to be black.  It offends me to my core that anyone should treat him as being less because of something as asinine as skin color.  In every way that matters, he is family in my eyes, and I can only aspire to be as fine a human being as he is.  I've been very fortunate to be able to have unfettered, honest discussions with him, and we're close enough we can speak honestly without fear of offending each other.  We've both talked of how if the rest of the world could get along the way we get along, there'd be no racism to fight anymore.

23 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Man, I hate that we have to have conversations like this.

It all seems so straight forward, to me at least.  I believe this country is and should be about ALL people being equal.  I have a dear friend, he and I served in LE together and we trust each other with our lives, and he happens to be black.  It offends me to my core that anyone should treat him as being less because of something as asinine as skin color.  In every way that matters, he is family in my eyes, and I can only aspire to be as fine a human being as he is.  I've been very fortunate to be able to have unfettered, honest discussions with him, and we're close enough we can speak honestly without fear of offending each other.  We've both talked of how if the rest of the world could get along the way we get along, there'd be no racism to fight anymore.

It does go both ways. If the world was blind this wouldn't be an issue at all. 

10 hours ago, laripu said:

Well said.

9 hours ago, DumptheTrump said:

I agree. But whites DO NOT have to deal with the daily struggle of being black.  When I was 17 I worked at a local grocery store as a cashier.  It was my first job.  One time, the bagger (who was white) pocketed an item that I rang up for a customer.  I didn't say anything because I had a crush on him and didn't want him to get in trouble. Yes, it was my mistake looking back). Anyways, the customer came back an hour later and said that the item (spare razor blades) was not in the bag. The manager called me into his office after a refund was given and questioned me throughly. I eventually told the truth about what happened and he said that I could keep my job if I "did something for him". I asked what, and he got all red and told me what he wanted done. Not repeating it here. I didn't do it, but I quit a week later. I was young and naive then and didn't report it. Since I was black, I was guilty even though I didn't do a damn thing. 

I don't fully understand what you're telling us with this story.  I get the manager's reprehensible sexual harassment.  What I don't get is what being black had to do with it.   Are you of the opinion that women of other races don't experience similar situations?  Or, perhaps there was more to the story?

9 hours ago, DumptheTrump said:

Whites believe they are superior by nature.  It's not their fault, but it's just how they are.

I'm pretty sure that if some white guy made broad sweeping statements about black people and "...it's just how they are", you'd (rightfully) shut them down pretty quick.  Check yourself.  This sort of statement is offensive and counter-productive, regardless of which race is the target.  

32 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Well said.

I don't fully understand what you're telling us with this story.  I get the manager's reprehensible sexual harassment.  What I don't get is what being black had to do with it.   Are you of the opinion that women of other races don't experience similar situations?  Or, perhaps there was more to the story?

I'm pretty sure that if some white guy made broad sweeping statements about black people and "...it's just how they are", you'd (rightfully) shut them down pretty quick.  Check yourself.  This sort of statement is offensive and counter-productive, regardless of which race is the target.  

1st statement:

i was being treated like I was the one who stole from the customer even though I didn't

2nd statement:

unless you are African American, you have no argument.  Have you ever been called a N word to your face? Has a group of white college boys walked up to you and asked you to pick the cotton out of an aspirin bottle and thought it was the funniest thing ever?  I doubt it. I have NEVER disrespected anyone in such a harsh way, so I apologize if I offended you. But this is what I am talking about. White people will never understand how humiliating it is to be treated like this by complete strangers. White privilege

I'm sorry, it's a very heated topic and I didn't mean to sound like I was being confrontational. That's why I posted it here, for discussion.  Didn't mean to overreact 

22 hours ago, laripu said:

This is true. You also have to be careful about making the issue about white privilege as many blacks and hispanics support Trump and conservative policies. The discrimination of women and pay disparity is just as big of a problem. Bigotry in the country is as much about all of these examples today as it was mostly a black and white issue in past times.

10 hours ago, DumptheTrump said:

unless you are African American, you have no argument.

What if I am Latino, Native American, LGBT, Jewish, Muslim, or homeless?

Have you ever been called a N word to your face?

No, not specifically, but I have experienced hate and prejudice directed at me, and people close to me.

White people will never understand how humiliating it is to be treated like this by complete strangers.

This is perhaps another broad and sweeping statement. If you want everyone to understand your experiences, but also state that they will never understand, it kinda shuts down further discussion. Many people have experienced hatred, based upon race, class, sexual orientation, physical/ mental handicaps, religion, or political beliefs.  All of this should be condemned. I agree that I will never fully understand the African American experience, just as you may not fully understand the LGBT,  or homeless experience. But we can both empathize with the plight of those less fortunate.

We can perhaps agree that putting people into groups, and making broad sweeping generalizations about these groups is wrong. I would speculate that most members of this Liberal Only forum genuinely believe in economic, social, racial, & environmental justice for all people.

At a time when white supremacists, neo-Nazis, and Trump-inspired right wingnuts are openly marching in the streets of many cities, it should be noted that there are many (including 'white' people),  actively fighting  the hatred, & bigotry spewed by these idiots. Recently, many (including white people) have died  at the hands of violent right wing extremists. Trump, and his core supporters would like nothing more than to divide the nation into  different groups, and pit them against each other. Don't let them succeed. This is not a White / Black issue, or even a Right / Left issue. It is a Right / Wrong issue.

"The saddest part of the human race is we're obsessed with this idea of 'us and them,' which is really a no-win situation, whether it's racial, cultural, religious or political." - D. Matthews

"A new breed of Republicans has taken over the GOP. It is a new breed which is seeking to sell to Americans a doctrine which is as old as mankind - the doctrine of racial division, the doctrine of racial prejudice, the doctrine of white supremacy."  - Jackie Robinson

"The music field was the first to break down racial barriers, because in order to play together, you have to love the people you are playing with, and if you have any racial inhibitions, you wouldn't be able to do that." - Oscar Peterson

51 minutes ago, ExPDXer said:

What if I am Latino, Native American, LGBT, Jewish, Muslim, or homeless?

No, not specifically, but I have experienced hate and prejudice directed at me, and people close to me.

This is perhaps another broad and sweeping statement. If you want everyone to understand your experiences, but also state that they will never understand, it kinda shuts down further discussion. Many people have experienced hatred, based upon race, class, sexual orientation, physical/ mental handicaps, religion, or political beliefs.  All of this should be condemned. I agree that I will never fully understand the African American experience, just as you may not fully understand the LGBT,  or homeless experience. But we can both empathize with the plight of those less fortunate.

We can perhaps agree that putting people into groups, and making broad sweeping generalizations about these groups is wrong. I would speculate that most members of this Liberal Only forum genuinely believe in economic, social, racial, & environmental justice for all people.

At a time when white supremacists, neo-Nazis, and Trump-inspired right wingnuts are openly marching in the streets of many cities, it should be noted that there are many (including 'white' people),  actively fighting  the hatred, & bigotry spewed by these idiots. Recently, many (including white people) have died  at the hands of violent right wing extremists. Trump, and his core supporters would like nothing more than to divide the nation into  different groups, and pit them against each other. Don't let them succeed. This is not a White / Black issue, or even a Right / Left issue. It is a Right / Wrong issue.

"The saddest part of the human race is we're obsessed with this idea of 'us and them,' which is really a no-win situation, whether it's racial, cultural, religious or political." - D. Matthews

"A new breed of Republicans has taken over the GOP. It is a new breed which is seeking to sell to Americans a doctrine which is as old as mankind - the doctrine of racial division, the doctrine of racial prejudice, the doctrine of white supremacy."  - Jackie Robinson

"The music field was the first to break down racial barriers, because in order to play together, you have to love the people you are playing with, and if you have any racial inhibitions, you wouldn't be able to do that." - Oscar Peterson

I am African American AND a lesbian, so I know what It feels like to be discriminated against for both.  The white people that are against this are weak apologists that are only doing it because they feel bad for minorities and DO NOT view them as equals. Why else would they feel the need to show up at our rallies? I had a white guy at a BLM rally (like I said, I'm not a member but did show support) walk up to me and hand me a Venti Starbucks coffee and said "thanks for joining us".  Us?  Who the hell does he think he is.  I politely refused and walked away. The skinny jean wearing punk called me an ungrateful bi**h and proceeded to yell at me as I walked away.  I can buy my own coffee white boy, thank you very much.

23 minutes ago, DumptheTrump said:

Why else would they feel the need to show up at our rallies? I had a white guy at a BLM rally (like I said, I'm not a member but did show support) walk up to me and hand me a Venti Starbucks coffee and said "thanks for joining us".  Us?  Who the hell does he think he is.

"Our rallies"? Was it your rally? If you are not a member, but did show up to show support, and presumably the white, skinny jean wearing, weak apologist punk was also not a member, but showing support, what exactly is the difference between you, and him? Weren't you both there to support the same cause?

Excluding people based solely on their race is wrong, isn't it? Or are you really taking a position that ALL white people are inherently privileged, and evil.

28 minutes ago, DumptheTrump said:

I can buy my own coffee white boy, thank you very much.

That's good. Many less fortunate cannot afford Starbucks, (or any other) coffee. ....

Calling someone a white boy or punk, is no better than black boy, or b*tch. Both are verbal manifestations of hatred.

If you have hatred in your heart (whether justified, or not), at least direct it at a more  precise target, like a racial supremacists, or Fascists.

26 minutes ago, ExPDXer said:

"Our rallies"? Was it your rally? If you are not a member, but did show up to show support, and presumably the white, skinny jean wearing, weak apologist punk was also not a member, but showing support, what exactly is the difference between you, and him? Weren't you both there to support the same cause?

Excluding people based solely on their race is wrong, isn't it? Or are you really taking a position that ALL white people are inherently privileged, and evil.

That's good. Many less fortunate cannot afford Starbucks, (or any other) coffee. ....

Calling someone a white boy or punk, is no better than black boy, or b*tch. Both are verbal manifestations of hatred.

If you have hatred in your heart (whether justified, or not), at least direct it at a more  precise target, like a racial supremacists, or Fascists.

I've never met a white person who didn't look at me like I was some sort of animal.  Being all fake nice and such.  it hey could just look at me and not care about my skin then I would feel different.

and yes, I do have hatred in my heart for how crappy everything is.  Don't know how to direct it more than I already am though.  As i said, I'm pretty new in my more left leaning beliefs 

4 hours ago, DumptheTrump said:

I've never met a white person who didn't look at me like I was some sort of animal.  Being all fake nice and such.  it hey could just look at me and not care about my skin then I would feel different.

I've never met a black physicist. That doesn't mean there aren't any. In fact there's the famous Neil deGrasse Tyson.

So you've never met a white person who didn't look at you the way you want to be looked at. I suspect that no look would be the look you want, because you've already generalized from your experience and decided that all white people are either racist or else "weak apologists that are only doing it because they feel bad for minorities and DO NOT view them as equals" - and therefore racist.

This is classic prejudice. If Y then X... and if not Y, then also X.

Here's another instance of that.  In Europe in the 1930s there were two main classes of Jews:

• The rural dirt-poor Eastern European Jews who eked out a miserable village existence and were killed by Christian peasants.
  • Urban Jews in Western Europe, especially France and Germany, who had educated themselves and were either middle class or richer.

The people against them alternated between "dirty Jews living in hovels" when talking about the poor Eastern Europeans OR "rich Jews taking all our jobs and/or money" when talking about Western European urban Jews.  And even among the latter they'd say: Jews are all Communists OR Jews are all blood-sucking bankers. (Conveniently forgetting about the physicists and philosophers and homemakers and alcoholics.)

The thing is, if you set up a circumstance in which a group can't win no matter what they do, you've demonstrated exactly what you complain about.

How?  People who hate you will either call blacks ignorant (or some variation) or uppity (or some variation), right?  If blacks are uneducated, that's bad, but if blacks are educated they'll say some snarky thing about affirmative action. Can't win no matter what.

That's what you're doing when you call whites  "weak apologists that are only doing it because they feel bad for minorities and DO NOT view them as equals": your choice for whites is racist or racist.

So here's the thing. I like black people and I like lesbians. But the way you've been writing, right now I don't like you.

4 hours ago, DumptheTrump said:

and yes, I do have hatred in my heart for how crappy everything is.

That hatred will destroy you if you don't learn how to temper it.

38 minutes ago, laripu said:

I've never met a black physicist. That doesn't mean there aren't any. In fact there's the famous Neil deGrasse Tyson.

So you've never met a white person who didn't look at you the way you want to be looked at. I suspect that no look would be the look you want, because you've already generalized from your experience and decided that all white people are either racist or else "weak apologists that are only doing it because they feel bad for minorities and DO NOT view them as equals" - and therefore racist.

This is classic prejudice. If Y then X... and if not Y, then also X.

Here's another instance of that.  In Europe in the 1930s there were two main classes of Jews:

• The rural dirt-poor Eastern European Jews who eked out a miserable village existence and were killed by Christian peasants.
  • Urban Jews in Western Europe, especially France and Germany, who had educated themselves and were either middle class or richer.

The people against them alternated between "dirty Jews living in hovels" when talking about the poor Eastern Europeans OR "rich Jews taking all our jobs and/or money" when talking about Western European urban Jews.  And even among the latter they'd say: Jews are all Communists OR Jews are all blood-sucking bankers. (Conveniently forgetting about the physicists and philosophers and homemakers and alcoholics.)

The thing is, if you set up a circumstance in which a group can't win no matter what they do, you've demonstrated exactly what you complain about.

How?  People who hate you will either call blacks ignorant (or some variation) or uppity (or some variation), right?  If blacks are uneducated, that's bad, but if blacks are educated they'll say some snarky thing about affirmative action. Can't win no matter what.

That's what you're doing when you call whites  "weak apologists that are only doing it because they feel bad for minorities and DO NOT view them as equals": your choice for whites is racist or racist.

So here's the thing. I like black people and I like lesbians. But the way you've been writing, right now I don't like you.

That hatred will destroy you if you don't learn how to temper it.

An African American cannot be racist against a white because racism = privilege + prejudice. You cannot be racist without both.  I do not think I am better than anyone, I just hate those that think they are better than me

and how do I temper it exactly? I'm seriously asking. 

1 hour ago, DumptheTrump said:

I don't know why it came out like that

Because you use condescension as a defensive mechanism subconsciously.

'The perfect way is only for those that pick and choose. Do not like, do not dislike, and all will then be clear. Make a hairbreadth difference and heaven and earth are set apart. If you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against.  The struggle between for and against is the minds worst disease'

Tao

You're a white male who knows nothing about hardships based on race. It would be the same as me telling you that being kicked in the testicles isn't all that painful. I know nothing about how it truly feels so I don't attempt to pretend I do

6 minutes ago, DumptheTrump said:

You're a white male who knows nothing about hardships based on race. It would be the same as me telling you that being kicked in the testicles isn't all that painful. I know nothing about how it truly feels so I don't attempt to pretend I do

I am a human being who grew up a very hard life on the mean streets of southside Richmod Va. as a kid in the 50s and 60s during the worst kind of racism and segregation that you can imagine. I've seen cruelty on a level most people have never seen or could psychologically recover from. I also had a grandmother that taught me real Christian values and a mother that taught me how to love and have empathy. I learned how to be hardcore through very advanced fighting and killing techniques in the military. I had to retrain myself to be a normal human being to become a husband and a father, without exposing my family to a side of me, because my experiences were in no way their fault, and I couldn't take it out on them. I can very well empathize with, and relate to anyone of any condition in life on any level they wish to relate. I don't judge, and I don't like like people that do. Part of that Christian upbringing. I also don't like bullies, and no how to deal with them to. 

'Wisdom does not consist of trying to wrest the good from the evil but in learning to ride them as a cork adapts itself to the crests and troughs of the waves'

14 minutes ago, skews13 said:

I am a human being who grew up a very hard life on the mean streets of southside Richmod Va. as a kid in the 50s and 60s during the worst kind of racism and segregation that you can imagine. I've seen cruelty on a level most people have never seen or could psychologically recover from. I also had a grandmother that taught me real Christian values and a mother that taught me how to love and have empathy. I learned how to be hardcore through very advanced fighting and killing techniques in the military. I had to retrain myself to be a normal human being to become a husband and a father, without exposing my family to a side of me, because my experiences were in no way their fault, and I couldn't take it out on them. I can very well empathize with, and relate to anyone of any condition in life on any level they wish to relate. I don't judge, and I don't like like people that do. Part of that Christian upbringing. I also don't like bullies, and no how to deal with them to. 

'Wisdom does not consist of trying to wrest the good from the evil but in learning to ride them as a cork adapts itself to the crests and troughs of the waves'

Did you fight in Vietnam?  My older brother was drafted and died there in 1967. He was killed on  his 19th birthday. One reason I think LBJ was nothing but a monster hiding under the (D).  Another war where people with dark skinned were used and discarded like trash.  I'm sorry for your horrible experiences in war. 

But it tell me this, did you not see first hand during your time in the military how racist the officers and people in charge where to blacks?

21 hours ago, DumptheTrump said:

1st statement:

i was being treated like I was the one who stole from the customer even though I didn't

What has that got to do with being black?   I have personally, on numerous occasions, observed white people behaving badly without racial motives.   Why do you believe this particular bad behavior was racially motivated?

21 hours ago, DumptheTrump said:

2nd statement:

unless you are African American, you have no argument.  Have you ever been called a N word to your face? Has a group of white college boys walked up to you and asked you to pick the cotton out of an aspirin bottle and thought it was the funniest thing ever?  I doubt it. I have NEVER disrespected anyone in such a harsh way, so I apologize if I offended you. But this is what I am talking about. White people will never understand how humiliating it is to be treated like this by complete strangers. White privilege

Imagine that a white guy made a statement like this:  "Blacks believe <something> by nature.  It's not their fault, but it's just how they are".   Wouldn't you agree that whatever words are inserted, the statement is offensive?  So, why would a statement like that be OK when it's directed at whites instead of blacks?   From my perspective, it's not OK.   People of all races are individuals and should be judged by their own actions.  I will not prejudge you based on what another person with a similar skin tone did to me last year.  Please grant others the same respect. 

One of my responsibilities at work is to ensure fair and equal treatment of all employees, regardless of race (and many other factors like religion, age, etc.).   How would you recommend I determine whether a black person is being disciplined for real performance/conduct issues or if it's because their white supervisor is a racist?    

47 minutes ago, Renegade said:

What has that got to do with being black?   I have personally, on numerous occasions, observed white people behaving badly without racial motives.   Why do you believe this particular bad behavior was racially motivated?

Imagine that a white guy made a statement like this:  "Blacks believe <something> by nature.  It's not their fault, but it's just how they are".   Wouldn't you agree that whatever words are inserted, the statement is offensive?  So, why would a statement like that be OK when it's directed at whites instead of blacks?   From my perspective, it's not OK.   People of all races are individuals and should be judged by their own actions.  I will not prejudge you based on what another person with a similar skin tone did to me last year.  Please grant others the same respect. 

One of my responsibilities at work is to ensure fair and equal treatment of all employees, regardless of race (and many other factors like religion, age, etc.).   How would you recommend I determine whether a black person is being disciplined for real performance/conduct issues or if it's because their white supervisor is a racist?    

We tend to not hate whites because of their skin color, but what they have done and how they have treated us in the past. Until reparations are paid due too slavery and how the government treated us prior to the 1960's it will not be an issue of the past. Also, celebrating "heros" like Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson is just plain sickening.  Is it a part of American history? Yes. But why are no statues of Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini, and also Josef Stalin still standing? It's because those countries decided to close a chapter in their dark history and move forward. The United States still chooses to celebrate its dark past rather than move on.

As for your issues at work regarding discrimination, unless gross negligence is observed there is no reason to fire a minority.  We get judged much more than whites.  If a white male is observed dozing on the job, they are told to wake up and maybe written up. If an African American is caught sleeping on the job, they are labeled a "lazy ni**er" and most supervisors will then always watch out for any little thing to discipline them for.

Here's an example of racism I've experienced on the school board: 

last year the 5th grade class wanted to celebrate graduation a little different than normal. The children all wear uniforms because one of the grade schools is in a low income area and a few years ago it was decided that it's best if everyone adhere to the same dress code so lower income kids or not made fun of. Sounds good, right? At graduation time they were allowed to wear what they want.  45% of the school is Hispanic, 15% is African American, And 34% is white.  The African American students all wanted to celebrate their ancestors and wear tribal clothing that resembled outfits from hundereds of years ago.  This included colorful garments for men and slightly more revealing outfits of the tribal women for the girls.  They were denied because the female outfits were "too revealing". We can't help where we came from and it is our history.

I fought it and lost, but the white kids were able to wear their German/Russian/French and whatever else outfits, and the Hispanics were allowed to wear their Mexican hats and ponchos. The African American students just wore their school uniforms because we could not agree on anything else.  I suggested BLM t-shirts, but understandingly this was denied

3 minutes ago, jrobin15283 said:

The problem with your argument is that you are confusing the term "racism" with "white privilege".  There is a very important distinction between the two.  You liberals do not understand that there is no such thing as institutionalized racism.  Racism in and of itself is an undisputed fact and exists today, but there is no white privilage.

jrobin15283 - If you are not left of center, you should not be posting in the Liberals Only Room.  Does that make sense?  You may post in No Holds Barred, or any other part of the site, but the Liberals Only Room is for Liberals only.  As you can see, your posts are no longer visible.

Your post has been hidden jrobin15283.  Get out and don't come back.