jimsouth

Donating My Body To UP Medical School

jimsouth   

To me, anything else is ridiculous. So when I buy the farm, it's off to the University of Pennsylvania Medical School in Philadelphia. They poke around your innards for a while, then a free cremation, then a yearly memorial service for anyone who donated their body.

jimsouth   

A little input on this. Would you rather be shipped to a medical school or one of those cadaver farms?  Possibly a few days of medical school innards rooting, and then flung over the fence at a cadaver farm. I hate making big decisions. I really don't mean being thrown over the fence; that my be illegal, just throwing  a body over a fence & running for it; but I'd bet you could arrange both the medical school & the cadaver farm.

Zaro   

Is your family OK with that? 

jimsouth   
13 hours ago, Zaro said:

Is your family OK with that?

Yes; I come from educated people. Does it really matter where you end up? Wouldn't it be better to possibly contribute to a breakthrough, regardless of how small?

laripu   

I'm for research.

On the other hand, I also like knowing where my parents are buried (Laval, just north of Montreal) and I go there every few years. I put a stone or two on their gravestones (a Jewish custom) and cry for them, for myself, and for the injustice of life.

I will probably outlive my wife, and there's no-one who would visit my grave. So maybe I'll will my dead body to science.

jimsouth   
14 hours ago, laripu said:

I'm for research.

On the other hand, I also like knowing where my parents are buried (Laval, just north of Montreal) and I go there every few years. I put a stone or two on their gravestones (a Jewish custom) and cry for them, for myself, and for the injustice of life.

I will probably outlive my wife, and there's no-one who would visit my grave. So maybe I'll will my dead body to science.

I paid too many dues in life; I am cried out. Not that I have no sensitivity; just reached the point I have limited energy. Life is just hard work.

laripu   
4 hours ago, jimsouth said:

Life is just hard work.

That's big truth. There's a line from a song I like: "you add up the laughter in minutes and days and they deal out the sorrow in lifetimes".

That's why I'm a liberal: if a democratically elected government can diminish the suffering experienced by everyone, then we should do that.

It doesn't absolve anyone of the need to work, to support their families, or to live up to their responsibilities. It just makes the help of everyone available to everyone. Because sorrow is dealt out in lifetimes.

But today I want to write about what I'm doing today. Today I'm smoking a pork shoulder. Yesterday I brined it with salt, sugar and spices. Today I drained that and soaked the shoulder to remove excess salt. Then I applied the rub.

The spices are Montreal smoked meat spices. (Usually slangilly referred to, there, as "smoke meat". Montreal smoke meat is a variety of pastrami, made from beef brisket, brought there in the late 1800s by Eastern European Jews, fleeing persecution.) The spices are similar to Montreal steak spice, which were originally copied from smoke meat spices.

As a Jewish kid in Montreal, I grew up with smoked meat. The famous place is Schwartz's (now part-owned by Celine Dion) The better place today is Smoke Meat Pete, who's father owned "the Main Deli", the smoke meat place across the street from Schwartz's. That one was Leonard Cohen's favorite place. (Other famous places are Chenoy's, Lester's, and newer ones I don't know about.)

Tonight we'll have pork "smoke meat", with mustard, on bagels from New York City. We add up the laughter in minutes and days.

jimsouth   
43 minutes ago, laripu said:

That's big truth. There's a line from a song I like: "you add up the laughter in minutes and days and they deal out the sorrow in lifetimes".

That's why I'm a liberal: if a democratically elected government can diminish the suffering experienced by everyone, then we should do that.

It doesn't absolve anyone of the need to work, to support their families, or to live up to their responsibilities. It just makes the help of everyone available to everyone. Because sorrow is dealt out in lifetimes.

But today I want to write about what I'm doing today. Today I'm smoking a pork shoulder. Yesterday I brined it with salt, sugar and spices. Today I drained that and soaked the shoulder to remove excess salt. Then I applied the rub.

The spices are Montreal smoked meat spices. (Usually slangilly referred to, there, as "smoke meat". Montreal smoke meat is a variety of pastrami, made from beef brisket, brought there in the late 1800s by Eastern European Jews, fleeing persecution.) The spices are similar to Montreal steak spice, which were originally copied from smoke meat spices.

As a Jewish kid in Montreal, I grew up with smoked meat. The famous place is Schwartz's (now part-owned by Celine Dion) The better place today is Smoke Meat Pete, who's father owned "the Main Deli", the smoke meat place across the street from Schwartz's. That one was Leonard Cohen's favorite place. (Other famous places are Chenoy's, Lester's, and newer ones I don't know about.)

Tonight we'll have pork "smoke meat", with mustard, on bagels from New York City. We add up the laughter in minutes and days.

My Dutch grandmother had the recipes. I have many ( 100s ) saved; but lack the energy to pull them off. I remember the home made scrapple, the pickled tongue, the smoked hams, sausages, brains & scrambled eggs,  etc.  I can still taste them. I also remember Katz's deli in Manhattan.  Scrapple is one chore: Scrubbing the pig's heads, scrubbing out the snouts; a lot of work. When I was a kid, I was chief snout scrubber.

laripu   
57 minutes ago, jimsouth said:

When I was a kid, I was chief snout scrubber.

All those foods sound good to me. The line above made me laugh.

I also like head cheese, called sulze by my wife's (German) family, and p'chah (from beef, by my family). We used to suspend hard-boiled egg halves in the gelatin.

Jim, I'll bet that if we never said a word about politics, we'd probably really enjoy an old fashioned meal together. 

laripu   

We had a few thick slices of the pork shoulder on toasted bagels. It was good.

I even got some slightly evil satisfaction. You see, my wife always comes by and has a big taste of whatever I'm cooking. I want to wait to serve it the way it's intended to be served, and that always bugs the crap outta me. One other thing: my wife likes crispy, burnt, carbonated stuff. 

So she came around when I'd pulled the pork out of the smoker, and cut off a piece of black stuff. She didn't know it was the rub ... lots of black pepper. Hot & spicy. She spent the next 5 minutes complaining it was hot ... and I kept joking, in Yiddish (which she understands because it's similar to German) that it was what she deserved, and it was god punishing her. That was good atheistic fun.  :lol:

Once her mouth and the spice heat calmed down, she really enjoyed the meat. And so did I. We've got enough left over for at least a week.